• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Bitsetting problem

jpmccusa

I changed my bitsetting to DVD-ROM as per the instructions in the FAQ but I can't get it to change back.

No Disc is present in Drive J:!
MEMOREX DVD+-RAM 510L V1 MWS7 2006/03/22 17:21

I used both DVDspeed and DVDDecrypter to change the setting. I have DVDspeed set to DVD+R and DVD+RW. I have the DVD setting in DVDDecrypter set to Normal. I still get the above message --- with both DVD-R and DVD+R blank media. (This is the problem...I wanted it just for DVD+R).

I changed my bitsetting to DVD-ROM as per the instructions in the FAQ but I can't get it to change back.

Why would you want to?

Do you have an original disc in the drive? Anydvd isn't going to report anything useful with blank dvd media. Anydvd will report useful information with original dvd-video movies--or with discs that you've backed up (need to be burned). But for blank dvds, Anydvd isn't going to tell you much.

I still get the above message --- with both DVD-R and DVD+R blank media. (This is the problem...I wanted it just for DVD+R).

:confused: I have no idea what you're talking about. You can't change booktype for dvd-r.

The message you're receiving in Anydvd has absolutely nothing to do with booktype.

Last edited:
Ok:

1. I usually get a full description of the disc I made in the ANYDvd settings for the burner.

2. Since I changed the bitsetting, I get the display I showed above. It happens when the blank media is either DVD-R and DVD+R. Since it shows no disc in the drive, I can't make a copy of the disc except as a data disc in my SONIC program. I also can't tell whether the disc is PAL or NTSC.

3. I have no idea as yet whether the DVD hardware intended to play the discs will play DVD-ROM. If not, the copies are useless. I am talking about public domain material here.

4. Since this only applies to DVD+R, as you say, how can I get the full ANYdvd display for a DVD-R disc back? Maybe I am NOT making DVD-ROM discs any more, but how can I tell with the display I am getting?

Does this clear up what I see the problem as being?

1. I usually get a full description of the disc I made in the ANYDvd settings for the burner.

1. Click the red fox icon in your system tray. Select "status" on the left hand side of your screen. With the problematic disc inserted in your computer, click the appropriate drive tab letter (the drive containing the disc) in Anydvd. In the window below the drive letter, copy and paste the information Anydvd gives you into your post asking for help. If you made a backup, do this step for both the original disc and the backup, please.

2. What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

3. What program are you using to produce your backups?

Since I changed the bitsetting, I get the display I showed above. It happens when the blank media is either DVD-R and DVD+R.

I get that same message with blank media in my drives all the time. That's normal.

Since it shows no disc in the drive

Is there data on the disc? Is it a movie? Is it in regular dvd-video format?

I have no idea as yet whether the DVD hardware intended to play the discs will play DVD-ROM. If not, the copies are useless. I am talking about public domain material here.

They have to. Original dvd-videos you buy in stores are bookmarked to "dvd-rom".

Since this only applies to DVD+R, as you say, how can I get the full ANYdvd display for a DVD-R disc back?

Make a dvd-video

Maybe I am NOT making DVD-ROM discs any more, but how can I tell with the display I am getting?

I must not be understanding something. Did you burn a dvd-video backup, and the Anydvd status window isn't showing any information with the backed up disc?

Post your filters please.

a) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)

b) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Click "Clipboard". Then paste the information you pasted into your clipboard into your next post (ctrl-v).

1. Click the red fox icon in your system tray. Select "status" on the left hand side of your screen. With the problematic disc inserted in your computer, click the appropriate drive tab letter (the drive containing the disc) in Anydvd. In the window below the drive letter, copy and paste the information Anydvd gives you into your post asking for help. If you made a backup, do this step for both the original disc and the backup, please.

2. What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

3. What program are you using to produce your backups?

Since I changed the bitsetting, I get the display I showed above. It happens when the blank media is either DVD-R and DVD+R.

I get that same message with blank media in my drives all the time. That's normal--provided I haven't backed up anything on them.

Since it shows no disc in the drive

Is there data on the disc? Is it a movie? Is it in regular dvd-video format?

I have no idea as yet whether the DVD hardware intended to play the discs will play DVD-ROM. If not, the copies are useless. I am talking about public domain material here.

They have to. Original dvd-videos you buy in stores have a bookmark of "dvd-rom" on them. Put an original commercial movie dvd in your drive. Check the Anydvd status screen. Anydvd will list "dvd-rom".

Since this only applies to DVD+R, as you say, how can I get the full ANYdvd display for a DVD-R disc back?

Make a dvd-video

Maybe I am NOT making DVD-ROM discs any more, but how can I tell with the display I am getting?

I must not be understanding something. Did you burn a dvd-video backup, and the Anydvd status window isn't showing any information with the backed up anything on the discs?

Post your filters please.

a) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

b) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Click "Clipboard". Then paste the information you pasted into your clipboard into your next post (ctrl-v).

Does this clear up what I see the problem as being?

I'm fairly confused at the moment.

Last edited:
I can see I'm being unclear...

The display I showed is what I get with BURNED and FINALIZED discs, after the burn has been verified.

As one of my destinations cannot play DVD+R PAL discs, I was hoping that changing to DVD-ROM would help. The point is I need to be able to tell what I'm creating in the burn, and I may need to be able to change between DVD +/- R and DVD-ROM easily.

I hope this clears things up.

The display I showed is what I get with BURNED and FINALIZED discs, after the burn has been verified.

Okay, some of my questions still remain though.

1. Is the backup a movie? Is it in regular dvd-video format?

As one of my destinations cannot play DVD+R PAL discs,

I'm not sure what you mean by destination, but Slysoft programs do not convert PAL to NTSC nor vice versa (and this may be the problem you're having).

I was hoping that changing to DVD-ROM would help.

Provided the drive can play PAL discs, then yes, that should help (but the drive also needs to be able to read the blank media properly; using good quality blank media can help in this regard).

The point is I need to be able to tell what I'm creating in the burn

Are these discs you're mastering yourself? It seems to me that if Anydvd isn't reporting anything, it might be because these discs you're making don't conform to a dvd-video standard. And I strongly suspect that is your issue.

All of my backups of original dvd-videos show information in the Anydvd status window. I use nothing but dvd+R or dvd+R DL. All of my backups show as "dvd-rom" in the Anydvd status window. I doubt your issue has much of anything to do with bitsetting nor booktype. Basically what I'm saying is that I think whatever changes you made in cd-dvdspeed have little bearing on your issue, and I suspect Anydvd would report the same thing regardless of whether you used that program.

As for why the Anydvd status screen isn't giving you what you want I see three options:

1. You're not producing standard dvd-video backups.

2. You're using inferior quality blank media, and your burns aren't very good

3. Something is messed up in your filters

And I still recommend posting your filters.

Last edited:
Siorry, our postings crossed...

Here's a substantive answer to your details and helpful post:

ORIGINAL DISPLAY IN SETTINGS:

Summary for drive J: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.4)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1
Total size: 1657392 sectors (3237 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: YOU_ARE_NOT_ALONE_2
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1 2 3 4 5 6 8!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

DISPLAY FOR COPY:

This is what I get when the blank media is either DVD+R or DVD-R. This is what I get during the VERIFY stage in DVDDecrypter. When I repeated the operation with ImgBurn (just now downloaded and tried), I get this during the VERIFY stage:

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd+r (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 1657376 sectors (3237 MBytes)

Media is region free.

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.3.2.0
===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Upper Class Filter: [None Found]
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name: PxHelp20
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
File Version: 2.03.27a [2.3.27.0]
File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions

Filter Name: AnyDVD
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
File Version: 6.1.7.4
File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 6.1.7.4
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.
Copyright: Copyright 2002 - 2007 SlySoft, Inc.

Filter Name: imapi
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

BLANK MEDIA:

It happens with TDK DVD-R, Memorex DVD+R and DVD-R, and Phillips DVD+R.

I guess what the real problem is is: How do I know what I'm actually making?

Does this clarify things?

3. Something is messed up in your filters

And I still recommend posting your filters.

There's one simple way to check to see if Anydvd is working properly.

Produce a backup of a movie using Clonedvd with Taiyo Yuden +R blank media. If your backup displays info in Anydvd, then bitsetting was never the problem.

Here's a substantive answer to your details and helpful post:

ORIGINAL DISPLAY IN SETTINGS:

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1
Total size: 1657392 sectors (3237 MBytes)

Media is locked to region(s): 1 2 3 4 5 6 8!

Alright, well this is not an original disc. The booktype is dvd-r for one.

DISPLAY FOR COPY:

This is what I get when the blank media is either DVD+R or DVD-R. This is what I get during the VERIFY stage in DVDDecrypter.

So you use dvddecrypter to make a backup. Why do you mention the verify stage? What happens if you exit decrypter and look at the Anydvd status screen then?

When I repeated the operation with ImgBurn (just now downloaded and tried), I get this during the VERIFY stage:

Again, I don't understand why you're mentioning "verify stage".

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd+r (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 1657376 sectors (3237 MBytes)

Well, regardless, if you did do something in Nero cd-dvd speed it had absolutely no effect. The booktype is not changed.

It happens with TDK DVD-R, Memorex DVD+R and DVD-R, and Phillips DVD+R.

Use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden blank media. That Memorex stuff is terrible. Actually all of that needs to go. Use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

I guess what the real problem is is: How do I know what I'm actually making?

You look at the status window from the original disc. The original is in NTSC format. So your backup will also be in NTSC format--not PAL.

As for the booktype your burner must also support bitsetting.

Follow this step by step: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476

Last edited:
Ok

How do I find the filters...can't see anything immediately for that?

I mention at the VERIFY stage because at that point the new disc has been burned. Looking at SETTINGS in ANYdvd while verifying used to show what was on the disc at that point, as it does with ImgBurn still.

By destination, I mean the DVD player wherein the disc is to be played. It plays DVD-R and DVD+R NTSC but only DVD-R PAL...DVD+R PAL won't play or even be recognized.

The dvd-r is the original disc, a commercially available product made in dvd-r format.

By what I'm making, I mean how can I tell whether I'm making a DVD-R or DVD+R, or a DVD-ROM? Before the fact, I mean.

Based on what you've written your problem seems to either your choice of blank media (inferior quality blank media may vary in quality from one blank to the next; you may get a decent burn with one disc--and a bad burn with the next)--or your use of dvddecrypter.

As far as I can tell your use of Nero cd-dvd speed has had absolutely no affect on your backup (the booktype has not changed).

How do I find the filters...can't see anything immediately for that?

I mention at the VERIFY stage because at that point the new disc has been burned. Looking at SETTINGS in ANYdvd while verifying used to show what was on the disc at that point, as it does with ImgBurn still.

I generally eject discs after they have been burned before looking at the Anydvd status screen (eject and close the drive). Checking the Anydvd status screen during the verify stage while another program is actively engaging the disc (immediately after your burned) probably isn't the wisest idea.

By destination, I mean the DVD player wherein the disc is to be played. It plays DVD-R and DVD+R NTSC but only DVD-R PAL...DVD+R PAL won't play or even be recognized.

Is the player even capable of playing PAL?

The dvd-r is the original disc, a commercially available product made in dvd-r format.

Okay, I've never seen that before where I am.

By what I'm making, I mean how can I tell whether I'm making a DVD-R or DVD+R, or a DVD-ROM? Before the fact, I mean.

dvd-r will always be dvd-r. You can't change dvd-r

If your burner supports bitsetting changes for dvd+r and provided you've made the appropriate changes in either nero cd-dvd speed or imgburn, then your +R backup will be booktyped to "dvd-rom". Ideally, all dvd+r backups should be booktyped to "dvd-rom". You have to make these changes before burning.

If the original disc is in NTSC format, your backup will be in NTSC format. Same with PAL.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your help

and patience! I'll wrestle with it for a while and see what happens with the various DVD players I have lying around. Yes, the player in question does play PAL discs, both DVD-R PAL and commercial PAL DVDs (even including my one R6 disc). No luck on recognizing DVD+R PALs, though.

Yes, I have the DVDDecrypter set to eject and reload before verifying. It is durin g this stage wherein I used to get full SETTINGS data from ANYdvd, but that is gone. It does happen with ImgBurn, though.

Yes, I understand about making sure the settings are correct before burning.

Thanks again for all your help, and I hope I haven't kept you up too late (it's 3:35 AM here).

No luck on recognizing DVD+R PALs, though.

Changing the booktype may help then (but your burner's firmware needs to support bitsetting changes). So may changing to Taiyo Yuden.

Yes, I have the DVDDecrypter set to eject and reload before verifying. It is durin g this stage wherein I used to get full SETTINGS data from ANYdvd, but that is gone. It does happen with ImgBurn, though.

Provided nero cd-dvd speed is not running, I doubt using the program did anything. Your backup still says "+R" for the booktype. I can't imagine using the program did anything to dvddecrypter. I would exit decrypter, and then look at the Anydvd status screen. Possibly rebooting your computer may reverse anything cd-dvd speed did.

Last edited:
Back