• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Transcoding DVD's to WMV to Create a media free DVD Library

Cygnusxr1

Hello Everyone,

I was using DVDMobile to transcode DVD's to WMV so that I may digitize my entire DVD library for use in Windows Media Center (Vista). However, I noticed right off that the aspect ratio seems off. When encoding a DVD (NTSC 720X480) whose content is also NTSC 720X480 (not 4:3 on DVD) the output image does not have them same physical appearence (aspect ratio wise) as playing the source (DVD) on my PC. Is this due to the fact that WMV encoding in DVDMobile is experimential? If so, will this be addressed in the new iteration? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. My end goal is to have a digital library of all my dvd's with little to no noticable video quality loss with out having to resort to creating huge images of each dvd.

MIne has been coming out okay, it is when there is multiple sizes that mine comes out different. I put all of them to the largest size possible and it comes out larger than what is on the DVD.

Hello Everyone,

I was using DVDMobile to transcode DVD's to WMV so that I may digitize my entire DVD library for use in Windows Media Center (Vista). However, I noticed right off that the aspect ratio seems off. When encoding a DVD (NTSC 720X480) whose content is also NTSC 720X480 (not 4:3 on DVD) the output image does not have them same physical appearence (aspect ratio wise) as playing the source (DVD) on my PC. Is this due to the fact that WMV encoding in DVDMobile is experimential? If so, will this be addressed in the new iteration? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. My end goal is to have a digital library of all my dvd's with little to no noticable video quality loss with out having to resort to creating huge images of each dvd.

Don't convert to NTSC resolution. As you can easily figure out yourself, 720:480 is actually 3:2. That fits neither 16:9 nor 4:3.
Devices that don't refit the aspect ratio to match the actual setting, like a TV does, will display the image as 3:2.

You need to select 640x480 for 4:3 movies or 640x360 for 16:9 content.

I'm attempting to do the same thing.

I am attempting to do the same thing, yet am unfortunately clueless as to what to do. I have backed up DVDs using DVD X Copy Platinum and DVD neXt Copy (which are pretty much idiot proof and both require no knowledge from the user).

SlySoft's suite of programs seems to require a little more intelligence and user interaction. My goal was to get my collection on a hard drive in something like MP4 format making them around 1.5 GB (smaller than the standard 4.7-9.4GB) and then feed them to my TV (not HD just regular TV). Because the Mobile portion of your suite appears to accomplish the MP4 portion this task, what additional parts of your suite would I need to accomplish this task.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Signed, Tired of hunting down a DVD to watch.

I have been using the CloneDVD mobile and Anydvd combo to convert to my PSP and the wife likes to stream them to her laptop via wireless. File sizes range from 300mb to 700mb.

Don't convert to NTSC resolution. As you can easily figure out yourself, 720:480 is actually 3:2. That fits neither 16:9 nor 4:3.
Devices that don't refit the aspect ratio to match the actual setting, like a TV does, will display the image as 3:2.

You need to select 640x480 for 4:3 movies or 640x360 for 16:9 content.

Might I suggest that this crucial piece of information be made sticky, included in the help, and added to a tool-tip in the software? It's confusing that the left panel says the program was recorded in 720x480, but you need to use something different to get full resolution *and* correct aspect ratio in your final file. In fact, this whole aspect ratio, zooming, black bar etc. issue is the only thing about the tool that isn't just dirt-easy to use and fantastic.

For example, why not "720x540" which is one of the options (probably because 540 is an extrapolation from 480)? A "preserve aspect ratio" and a "full resolution" check box in the software that calculate the optimal settings for the source material would be helpful.

Last edited:
Is there some reason to believe 640x360 is better than 720x404 for 16:9 movies?

Back