• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Popeye movie 'disappears'

Without wishing to be difficult, it's hard to describe this any other way...
This is 'Popeye', a UK DVD Region 2 DVD. When trying to rip to hard drive olr use CloneDVD, AnyDVD chunters for a while and then the popup disappears. Here's the status:
Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD HD 8.5.0.2, BDPHash.bin 20-03-11)
HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N PQ06
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2273952 sectors (4441 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: POPEYE_D1
Media is CSS protected!
Media is locked to region(s): 2 4!
Video Standard: PAL

Found & removed structural copy protection!
Found & removed bogus title set(s)!
RCE protection not found.
UDF filesystem patched!
Patched DVD volume label!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Removed CSS copy protection!
Found & removed 7 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!
WARNING: Read errors on disc!

When I try to play the movie, the language selector screen appears, allows a choice, then nothing happens, the movie simply isn't there. Logfile attached.

FWIW, the DVD plays just fine on a Sony Blu-ray player...

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.5.0.2_Info_E_POPEYE_D1.ziplog
    95.4 KB · Views: 3
I believe your disc and / or drive is dirty and / or defective.

Ah well; I just tried it in a 3-month-old Bllu-Ray drive and got the same results. It's a film to watch once and then bin, after all....

Thanks.

Hi @Chris Mitchell

Tip:
AnyDVD Preferences - Drives - Speed control - activate here "slow & quiet"!
Then it also works with the reading of the disc!
;)

That is a wild guess. No anydvd setting can fix actual physical problematic sectors on a disc causing read errors.

Hi @Ch3vr0n
Nobody denies that.
But it is also a fact that AnyDVD detects read errors when set to "Fast" and not when set to "Slow", by some discs.
The discs look like fresh from the factory.
Just try it out.
Of course, the disc should be cleaned very well before.

I'd have to wonder about detecting structural protection on a disc like Popeye. I mean, it's not exactly like it would be a prime candidate for pirating. But, that doesn't mean, of course, the studio wouldn't put in on the disc. I'm just wondering if it's a false positive of structural protection that is causing the problem. Maybe try disabling those kinds of scans might help. I think there's a way to do that; I just don't know it.

I had the same problem with The Job: Complete Series, Disc One, US Region 1 DVD.
After cleaning the disc with isopropyl alcohol, problem resolved.

Back