• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Older Versions now abandoned? Back to x64 problems...

Beck38

Noticed a couple days ago that apparently the ability to run older versions yet still recieve 'live' updates has been turned off. Okay, I realize that changes have to be made, and yes, it's been a long time since the 64bit OS (vista) I'm running (I also have a 32bit machine without the driver signing problems) basically was abandoned, and their were several work arounds posted here that I tried at the time but none of them worked.

So now I'm forced to try again to install the latest, 8.5.0.0, and try all the 'fixes' that were posted a decade ago and try and get any of them, including any new ideas if any, to work. So far, no go. Although installing with the 'nosha2check' still appears to work, it still results in a 'program compatability' popup and problems that result in locking out the optical drives (and of course redfox).

Again, I'm not totally hosed, as I have a 32bit machine that doesn't require the driver signage, and it continues to work just fine (cross the fingers). Just that it's yet another hoop I jump through to allocate time on that machine and then pull the result over to the other iron for processing.

Way back when, I pulled out a 'virgin' machine (no additional installs x64 vista) box (still have it) and couldn't get it to install then, so that's why I gave up (but live updates still worked on older versions so....). I still have that machine and If I get really motivated I'll pull it off the rack. But I'll live with what I have for now.

Would like a confirmation that the live updates for older versions has indeed been abandoned, and any further thoughts on what possible workarounds will maybe work to install the newest.

Hell, even win 7 is 'dropped'.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Would like a confirmation that the live updates for older versions has indeed been abandoned, and any further thoughts on what possible workarounds will maybe work to install the newest.
Possible workaround:
1.) Disable driver signing enforcement in Windows Vista x64. You might find instructions with a search engine.
2.) Start AnyDVD setup from the command line with the /NoSHA2check command line parameter.

Or (to state the obvious): Replace Windows Vista with a supported OS like Windows 10.

I most likely would not even try installing Win8.1 and or Win10 on a PC with Vista on it as the PC is too old and Win8.1 and or Win10 might end up causing more problems then it is worth even trying to do any of this. I own 2 Vista laptops and I could put Win7, not being supported, on 1 of them but even with doing that I might lose some capability the system has that I like using sometimes.

I have a 10+ year old laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-AW11M/H). That thing came with vista too, it's now running windows 10 Pro pretty damn smooth. Boot's up in around 15seconds! The fix? a 80€ (at the time) Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" sata SSD. The laptop is only capable of SATA II, so that drive is performing LESS than it actually can. If it could run at SATAIII, i have zero doubt it'd be at the desktop in around 10 seconds. Getting 10 to run on an old system is very much possible and doable.

I tried installing 10/64 on an older Dell laptop, and wound up missing several drivers that were no longer supported by Dell for that particular model. Win 10 loaded some generics that really hosed it. Good thing I had the old Win 7 OS on another hard drive.

Technically 7 drivers and 8 drivers should work too. Cause they do for my 10+y old laptop that originally came with VISTA! now running 10

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

First off of course I know m$ has abandoned these older os's, but I take my cues from every other major programmer out there, in that all those operating systems have excessive major problems; all one has to do is read the literally terabytes of bad reviews.

As I wrote in the original post, I've tried the nosha2check and the program did install but hosed up the optical drives, something that folks reported 8+ years ago, and that I ran into then as well and never found an answer to.

I have (and run) quite a few programs that their programmers figured out how to spoof the vista x64 compatabilty check and thought that with the passage of time that this program would have figured it out as well, but I guess not. But I guess the big question as to why older versions are no longer able to get live updates hasn't been answered.

Btw, I got around to pulling my virgin vista x64 machine off the rack and tried installing on it, to no avail.

Like I said, I have a 32bit machine that runs fine with a new(er) version. Hopefully it will keep working for another few years until win12 or better actually works.

As I wrote in the original post, I've tried the nosha2check and the program did install but hosed up the optical drives, something that folks reported 8+ years ago, and that I ran into then as well and never found an answer to.
As I already said, you need to disable driver signature enforcement check in Vista x64 *before* installing with /nosha2check.

I have (and run) quite a few programs that their programmers figured out how to spoof the vista x64 compatabilty check and thought that with the passage of time that this program would have figured it out as well, but I guess not. But I guess the big question as to why older versions are no longer able to get live updates hasn't been answered.
Other "programs" don't require kernel mode drivers.

I've been running Windows 10 on most systems I've bumped into. I even have it running on a Pentium M 1.73GHz laptop.

Honestly, running Vista and older is a security risk. Running it on a 32bit system is more so. Windows 7 is not supported anymore by Microsoft, but is still rather stable unless someone finds a security issue that cannot be fixed (erm.. Windows 2000 Professional). I have had zero issues with Windows 10 since it was released for public beta, except them changing the start menu often.

Honestly, unless you have a piece of software that absolutely requires a 32bit system, I'd steer clear of them.

Just to add my 2 cents to the "upgrade old machines or not" question, I think it depends on the machine. Laptops sometimes have weird quirks and need original drivers or software from the manufacturer to work correctly, but desktops are usually fine.
I built my HTPC end of 2008, it started with Win XP then I upped the RAM and switched to an SSD and upgraded to Win 7 and now it runs on Win 10 better than it ever did. The drivers for my TV tuners date from 2009 and were made for Win7, the manufacturer is bankrupt but they still work.
*If your hardware has compatible drivers*, Windows 10 is now a no brainer for any machine that supports it, especially compared to Vista.

Back