• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

question about limitations

Not up to me, not my application. As to not liking the limitations. Had the initial versions not being abused during trial, there would have been no limitations. And by abusing, i mean abusing. The audio/video licensing server (which AnyStream contacts prior to each download, see the FAQ) was getting absolutely HAMMERED with video/audio license request from dozens of trial versions, HUNDREDS of requests over short periods of time. Each and every one done by a trial user, NO EXCEPTIONS.

If i were to guess it would be because the first 2 releases were unlimited in terms of downloads, so trial users were i'm guessing planning to do a "hit and run". "Hit and Run" here meaning to grab AS MUCH AS THEY CAN, WHILE THEY CAN for as long as the trial period is and then never come back (not buying a license). To prevent such abuse, the limitation system was implemented.

As unfortunate as it is, you have those abusers to thank for the limits.

That explanation doesn't explain why there are limitations though. That explains why the trial version has limitations which makes perfect sense, but just because one has it doesn't mean the paid version needed to have it. As you said it was mainly do to "Hit and Runners", but in this case people paid which fulfilled the thing that people were afraid they would get.

The problem I see with the limitations is that it favors people who sit there and will constantly download versus those who do it in bursts. Since the ones who essentially keep it running will get more tokens over time due to it constantly refilling where as someone who does it in bursts (likely most users) will have to wait for the refills more often. Over a week's time the one constantly downloading could max out the amount of tokens while the one who downloads in burst could maybe hit half that before it "resets"

That's the issue I have with the current system as well.
While wanting to keep people from abusing the system, you're actually giving an advantage to people who download more often.

someone who does it in bursts (likely most users) will have to wait for the refills more often.

Doing it in a burst implies you're doing a number of downloads and stopping anyway.

How many can you do before you have to stop if you start with a full pot?

Well it's not 100.

Because while you're doing 100 downloads, time is passing and some are being put back in the pot.

Let's see -- say for argument's sake it takes 15 minutes for a download and you're doing 2 at a time (one from each Source).

So to use up 100 tokens would take 50 (because 2 at a time) X 15 = 750 minutes.

In that time, 750 minutes / 36 minutes to replenish = about 20 tokens are refreshed.

While your using those 4 to 5 would refresh ( 20 / 2 X 15 / 36).

So you'd probably get around 125 downloads before you have to stop.

If you're doing double downloads that's 125 / 2 X 15 minutes = approximately 930 minutes or around 15 straight hours of double downloading.

If downloading from just one Source its 30 hours straight.

15 to 30 hours of straight downloading is a hell of a burst.

Maybe you'd wanna take a break by that time. :sneaky:

Let me know if I've miscalculated somewhere.

T

Doing it in a burst implies you're doing a number of downloads and stopping anyway.

I think you are missing the point though. You are thinking bursts as in full on non stop sessions. Let's say you span it over two days you'd still be at a net loss in terms of downloads compared to someone who is constantly downloading. Also, your 15 minutes might be a little off because I know my downloads have been finishing up around ~8 minutes for the few I were able to do before various issues arose with the trial.

If it's 350 movies a week (100 + additional 250 over each seven day period) that's an average of 50 downloads per day. I guess I don't understand why people are upset with that limitation... seems like that's a lot of downloads over one day's time for ANYONE. I've been using the beta and contributing my issues and problems I find, and I have enjoyed using it. I will purchase the lifetime version as soon as either Visa or Paypal payment options are added. I'm just not into Bitcoin, and I don't own a Mastercard unfortunately. I'm fine with the imposed limitations. I prefer to download in the 1x/real-time recommended options anyway, which is only the equivalent of 12-20 movies per day with standard running times (which, to me, still seems like a lot of content per day).

I guess I don't understand why people are upset with that limitation

Nor do I, in fact IMO it seems overly generous. I suspect the folks complaining about it want to harvest the entire library with a one month subscription :banghead:. These are the folks that won't be happy regardless, the tool serves its purpose and while it could use some refinement, unlimited pillaging isn't one of them.

The problem I see with the limitations is that it favors people who sit there and will constantly download versus those who do it in bursts. Since the ones who essentially keep it running will get more tokens over time due to it constantly refilling where as someone who does it in bursts (likely most users) will have to wait for the refills more often. Over a week's time the one constantly downloading could max out the amount of tokens while the one who downloads in burst could maybe hit half that before it "resets"

you're actually giving an advantage to people who download more often.

What are you guys implying, (that it's not fair :cry:) because your style of use isn't conducive to maximizing downloads? Seriously? The remedy is simple guys, if you don't like it then don't buy it... More to the point, it seems apparent with basic math that folks are wrongly expecting to harvest more than they can actually watch, so yeah, greed and FOMO is more of a problem than the token limit.

If it's 350 movies a week (100 + additional 250 over each seven day period) that's an average of 50 downloads per day. I guess I don't understand why people are upset with that limitation...

If the bucket caps at 100 tokens per user/license, that would mean indeed having to download "daily" to even reach 280 weekly tokens. As opposed to, for example, being idle during the week and only downloading on weekends. Or once a month, for example.

Nor do I, in fact IMO it seems overly generous. I suspect the folks complaining about it want to harvest the entire library with a one month subscription :banghead:.

Not at all... I don't have the interest, bandwith or even HDD space to download anything and everything. In fact, I might be able to download what I currently want with just the trial version. That's the thing though, right now there's nothing that sparks my interest, but there might be a week/month when new titles come in or I have more time to dedicate to Anystream and I'll be capped at 100.

I am fine with it taking 36 minutes to get a new token. I just wish each user wasn't capped, is all.
Especially if a queue or the ability to download a complete season is implemented down the line.

Let's say you span it over two days you'd still be at a net loss in terms of downloads compared to someone who is constantly downloading.

Sorry, a net loss of what? I don't understand.

If you download over a longer span of time and less frequently, then your "bucket" will stay near full capacity.

Tokens will replenish not only while you're downloading, but when you're not.

I think you're aware the minute you start any download and use a token, the 36-minute clock starts ticking to replace it.

And tokens continue to refresh until you're back at 100, full-capacity.

The only "net loss" I can think of is since you're spreading out downloads, you won't accumulate content as quickly as someone who downloads all the time.

But your capacity to download is not diminished by spreading it out.

Also, your 15 minutes might be a little off because I know my downloads have been finishing up around ~8 minutes for the few I were able to do before various issues arose with the trial.

Well not "off", I picked that as an arbitrary number to do the calculation.

But not unreasonable.

I do find my Netflix downloads of full 1080p movies take about that long. On Amazon it's closer to 20, 25 minutes.

So if you want to use 8 minutes for the example, you'd have to stop continuously downloading after 15 hours - after 8 if you're double-downloading.

If it's 350 movies a week (100 + additional 250 over each seven day period) that's an average of 50 downloads per day.

It's actually 100 + 280 = 380, which is nearly 55 downloads a day.

Yeah, seems like more than enough for one day.

But the thing is if you need to do more than that in a day, you can.

You just won't be able to do more than something like 125 (by the example in post #23) without pausing to accumulate more download tokens.

I guess I don't understand why people are upset with that limitation... seems like that's a lot of downloads over one day's time for ANYONE.

It may be a knee-jerk reaction to the word "limitation". I admit I had a bit of a concern myself - until I realized how broad the allotment is.

It's similar to not wanting to use an SSD drive because there's a finite limit to the number of times you can write to it.

Then realizing the limit is way beyond how long you're likely to use it. LOL!

I prefer to download in the 1x/real-time recommended options anyway, which is only the equivalent of 12-20 movies per day with standard running times (which, to me, still seems like a lot of content per day).

We figured out that if you only download in realtime, you effectively have no limit, because there's no way you can do 380 real-time downloads of shows/movies in a week's time.

Arbitrarily using a real-time download of just an hour show, 380 downloads is 380 hours or over 15 days. LOL!

... the tool serves its purpose and while it could use some refinement, unlimited pillaging isn't one of them.

Well said! LOL!

As opposed to, for example, being idle during the week and only downloading on weekends. Or once a month, for example.

If you download that little, you'll rarely reach your download limit.

It's unclear what the problem is. ??

I'll be capped at 100.

You're not really capped at 100.

You just will never have more than 100 download tokens at any given time.

In the 15-minute download example from before you'd have to pause after 125 consecutive, back-to-back downloads and wait for more to replenish.

But that's 30 hours of successive (15-minute)downloads.

Then wait for some time to accumulate more, and you're back in business.

T

Last edited:
It's actually 380 downloads a week, 'cause it's the initial 100 downloads allotted + up to 280 refills.

I've since found out more information which I think is more accurate...

The initial 100-token allotment is what's set when you first get a license, but it's a one-time deal.

The maximum number of tokens that can refresh, in general, is 280 a week as stated.

The first week, since you start with 100, you can get up to 380 downloads.

But if you do that many downloads and completely empty your pot, you will only get 280 refreshed each week thereafter.

So it's 280 per week -- plus an initial, one-shot deal of 100 on license registration.

T

Back