• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request MKV support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that was suggested during beta and for the moment shot down because both providers themselves streaml in mp4

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The provider streaming in MP4 has nothing to do with a container. It's not hard to have the tool mux the video, audio and subtitles into a MKV container.

Personally, I prefer MKV and would love to have my films/shows in this container.

Such functionality is not planned for AnyStream.

I already told you why, and if you really must ha e mkv (it's just a file container just like mp4) use something like MKVtoolnixGUI, Retakes a split second to repackage the streams without encoding it just demuxes and remuxes into mkv

Last edited:
Perhaps allow for a postprocessing step? Then people can remux or re-encode as they wish

I already told you why, and if you really must ha e mkv (it's just a file container just like mp4) use something like MKVtoolnixGUI, Retakes a split second to repackage the streams without encoding it just demuxes and remuxes into mkv
This is exactly why I said it should be an option. It won't take many lines of code to add this function. Again, I feel like this should be standard for such [paid] a tool.

Anyhow, I already have a python script to do the job so I won't bother you any further with it.

This is exactly why I said it should be an option. It won't take many lines of code to add this function. Again, I feel like this should be standard for such [paid] a tool.

Anyhow, I already have a python script to do the job so I won't bother you any further with it.

And you base your assumption of 'it won't take many lines of code' on what evidence of AnyStream source code? Do you know what the source code looks like? Do you know how they grab the streams? No, so your claim of 'not many lines of code' is inaccurate. Feel free to develop your own solution.

What any of us feel should be included is one thing, what actually gets included is a different ballgame and exclusively up to the developers.

@Chaewon This is not related to how difficult or easy the thing is. It is fairly simple indeed. However, this limitation is intentional and is not going to change.

This is not related to how difficult or easy the thing is. It is fairly simple indeed. However, this limitation is intentional and is not going to change.

I respect the decision, but still am curious why. It was the first thing I was going to ask for. I much prefer mkv and find it annoying to have to combine the mp4 and srt files every time. But not annoying enough to make a big deal of it :)

What do you mean by "have to combine the mp4 and srt files every time"?

Not sure you are asking about "have to" or "combine"?

"have to" is because of convenience so I don't need to keep track of multiple files. I find it annoying when you can use a single file like mkv that contains both video and subtitles. I use subtitles for all movies and it's much much nicer to to work with single files.

"combine", I mean to "put together or "merge" into a single file using a tool like MKVToolNix. Now I have to use this every time so I will have a single file.

CloneBD allows creating mkv files with subtitles and I like that a lot. But again, this feature is not a requirement, but a very nice to have.

Not sure you are asking about "have to" or "combine"?

"have to" is because of convenience so I don't need to keep track of multiple files. I find it annoying when you can use a single file like mkv that contains both video and subtitles. I use subtitles for all movies and it's much much nicer to to work with single files.

"combine", I mean to "put together or "merge" into a single file using a tool like MKVToolNix. Now I have to use this every time so I will have a single file.

CloneBD allows creating mkv files with subtitles and I like that a lot. But again, this feature is not a requirement, but a very nice to have.

skurko, any reason you can't just set AS to automatically embed the subtitles into the .mp4?

There is an option for that.

Then you would have only the single .mp4.

T

skurko, any reason you can't just set AS to automatically embed the subtitles into the .mp4?

T

i was actually thinking about the same...
maybe they did not pay well enough attention to anystream's settings that it is able to attach the subtitle files into that single .mp4 file ... :p
as for the "overkill" bitrates on 1080p streams (especially on some older documentaries,which seem to be upscaled in a bad way,with some ugly black borders and stuff..needs some cropping too.. <<<--- that has nothing to do with anystream...), i just re-encode the clips with NVENC, does not take too much time.
but if someone is on a slow connection,i do understand it is a pain to download 4-5 gb file for 1h documentary, but you have an option...
take the 720p stream ..

i was actually thinking about the same...

Great minds thinking alike and all... LOL!

... i do understand it is a pain to download 4-5 gb file for 1h documentary, but you have an option...
take the 720p stream ..

Ha.

That's very true!

@skurko in case you aren't aware of the subtitle setting, here's a description from Prospere...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just open AnyStream. Go to "File->Settings" select the "Download" tab. There is the "Subtitles" section at the bottom. You may select one of the three options:

• Embedded
  • SRT file
  • TTML file

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T

T

That will burn in the subtitle into the video and not what I want. As I understand it, mp4 doesn't allow subtitle tracks.

@skurko in case you aren't aware of the subtitle setting, here's a description from Prospere...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just open AnyStream. Go to "File->Settings" select the "Download" tab. There is the "Subtitles" section at the bottom. You may select one of the three options:

• Embedded
  • SRT file
  • TTML file
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T

I am confused. I am fully aware of these settings. None of them allows getting an mkv file with the subtitles. That was the feature request. Starbucks also has an option to get a coffee with milk. But that doesn't help me either ;)

That will burn in the subtitle into the video and not what I want. As I understand it, mp4 doesn't allow subtitle tracks.
Yes it does. It's called timed text.

There's "burned in" subtitles and then there's embedded.

Embedded subtitles don't require a separate subtitle file because they're within the .mp4.

And they can be turned off or on.

Embedded is the option available in AnyStream, not burned in.

Try it!

T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back