• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to control size of output file

dtsig

I have looked i believe everywhere in the program (not many hiding places) and i have not found a way to control the size of the output file. I download a single ep of "Stranger Things". The quality was excellent but the size of the 1hr file was 2.3gig ... yeow. How can i get it down to an acceptable 8-9 hundred K?

By the way this is an amazing product and works great.

AnyStream doesn't convert or compress, so your only option is to choose a lower resolution.

AnyStream doesn't convert or compress, so your only option is to choose a lower resolution.

That's true, but sometimes Netflix offers different bitrates at the same resolution. AnyStream only lets you select resolution, not bitrate within that resolution. Personally, I would never go for second best quality, even if it might save some hard disc space. I can imagine that a reduced file size would be useful for some people, though.

Currently, the only option would be to download the file at the desired resolution, re-encode it yourself at a lower bitrate, and delete the original download. Not difficult, but it will take some time to do, e.g. with ffmpeg.

We are discussing it internally.
Technically it is not a problem to let a user choose among different options. However, the intention is to keep the UI as simple as possible in order not to confuse not so tech-savvy users. I believe, we will implement it at some point. Just can't promise an exact timeline.

@Prospere just a thought, but maybe it's an idea to hide that kind of settings behind an 'advanced settings' checkbox the user explicitly has to enable to see them. Only after enabling that do they become visible and does AnyStream use them.

If not, default simplified gui and settings

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

We are discussing it internally.
Technically it is not a problem to let a user choose among different options. However, the intention is to keep the UI as simple as possible in order not to confuse not so tech-savvy users. I believe, we will implement it at some point. Just can't promise an exact timeline.

I think I asked it in another topic too...
but...
Would be nice just if there was an option for the 1080p streams in the settings, a simple one eg. "download lower bitrate 1080p stream, (IF AVAILABLE...)" and nothing else,so it
would just pick the 2nd best HD resolution (IF AVAIL... :) ) .

I think eventually having an separate, Advanced level of settings added somewhere down the (time) line would be cool.

That way if all you're interested in is a basic setup you're covered, but if you want more granularity in AnyStream adjustments, that would be available too.

T

I think eventually having an separate, Advanced level of settings added somewhere down the (time) line would be cool.

That way if all you're interested in is a basic setup you're covered, but if you want more granularity in AnyStream adjustments, that would be available too.

T

Well, yes...
anystream then would just parse the playlist and show all the available resolutions with the max bitrate, and the user can choose what he/she wants.
(then there may, or may not... pop up several different streams for 720p & 1080p with different bitrates. if there is no option for a lower/higher bitrate on a certain resolution, it has nothing to do with anystream.. since it downloads what is available, and does not re-encode things/screen record in the background,like the rest does..)
how would i know ?
well,by looking at the playlist on the amazon site. :)

Last edited:
For me, I'm happy with the way things are now (setting-wise).

My AnyStream downloads look and sound superb!

So I probably would not necessarily be an Advanced setting User. :=)

But it would be good to know the option is there if I ever need it.

T

@Prospere just a thought, but maybe it's an idea to hide that kind of settings behind an 'advanced settings' checkbox the user explicitly has to enable to see them. Only after enabling that do they become visible and does AnyStream use them.

This would be great, and a very useful GUI element in general for all sorts of things that might be necessary in the future.

@Kamala that looks like a complication. We've actually been thinking in the direction @Ch3vr0n mentioned.

Since the option to be able to choose the audio stream + bitrate, was added, would be about time the same was also added for the videos.
it is "as hard" to add as the audio option.
i want to download 1080p streams,but i don't necessarily want the biggest 1080p stream.
for example... on amazon, a movie by Jackie Chan: Kung Fu Master ...
as for HD, the video has two streams at 720p @ bandwidth 2000000/3000000
and for 1080p it has 3 different "quality" streams @ bandwidth 4000000/8000000/15000000

As for now, Anystream always downloads the highest bitrate stream, in this case for 1080p,it takes the 15000000 and the file ends up around 7-10GB,
where as with 4000000/8000000 you save many gigs in size.

Please don't tell me to download lower resolution videos, this feature should had been added along with the selectable audio,imho.

External HDD's aren't that expensive btw. I got an 8TB one a while back for 150$'ish. That's plenty of storage.

The topic is not about how much your hard drives cost. i've got plenty of storage, but i've got only mobile internet so..

The topic is not about how much your hard drives cost. i've got plenty of storage, but i've got only mobile internet so..

I know it wasn't the topic. People were talking about the size of files and I didn't put two and two together about data caps.

Back