• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What is the picture quality like with Mp4's on large screens?

Watcher0363

I have downloaded a 22 min., 44 min. television show and a 2hr 6 min. movie, using Anystream. These files were extremely small compared to their dvd equivalent. The movie picture quality seemed passable watching on my 32" tv, the two TV shows did not fare well in picture quality. I have not joined the big screen fad, because so much content, even to this day looks bad on these large screens, especially if you are stuck viewing a lot of content from the 60's to the late 90's. Even high speed movements on dvd's look bad on a lot of big screen TV's, still to this day. Having said all of this. The Prime day and Walmart counter sales, means I will be buying two 55" HD TV's for less than $500, sorry for supporting slave labor. Will the mp4 picture quality, downloaded at its highest quality, look atrocious on these sets.

Because new UHD blu-ray releases have dried up, I have been trying out Amazon and Netflix movie and series downloads using AnyStream and even with the bitrate/resolution constraints of the resulting MP4 downloads, the video quality on my 58” LCD is excellent.
Can’t comment on how they would be handled by your 250 dollar 55” Walmart TV, but probably no worse than your existing 32” TV.

Because new UHD blu-ray releases have dried up, I have been trying out Amazon and Netflix movie and series downloads using AnyStream and even with the bitrate/resolution constraints of the resulting MP4 downloads, the video quality on my 58” LCD is excellent.
Can’t comment on how they would be handled by your 250 dollar 55” Walmart TV, but probably no worse than your existing 32” TV.
Amazon Prime is what I have, this where I downloaded the mp4's from. The Tv's are listed as 4k uhd, so I am pretty sure my 80's cop shows will have to be viewed in the 4:3 ratio, hoping they will not be to grainy. Shows like Miami vice at 1.89 gigs per episode, can hold its own at 4:3 on smaller tv's if you use the zoom on small tv's it loses a little something. The 300 MB mp4 file just scares me.

I tried Star Trek Picard on Amazon, the episodes are significantly larger than 300MB and the video quality is excellent. It has been noted elsewhere on Redfox that the file size through AnyStream is smaller than directly downloading through Amazon Prime, so there is an inevitable reduction in the bit rate, but so far I’m happy with the video quality of the downloads. Older TV series may not fare so well with the reduced bitrate.
(Star Trek Picard episodes downloaded with AnyStream are around 2GB).

Last edited:
On an LG 70" 4K, Anystream captures are very good. Haven't tried them on the big projector screen, pretty sure they'd suffer loss of quality on 144"...

Back