• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Purchase by download count

libris

I noticed that many users dowload about 100 titles per day. A fair use policy was developed to prevent this.
Now, you can dowload 280 titles per week if you have valid license. So what should be done if someone occasionally downloads the content?
I think, I will only download 1 content a week. But in this case, I'll pay the same as who downloads 280 content per week. I don't think it's fair.
It would be great if licenses could be obtained based on the number of downloads.
For example;

50 downloads - $5
100 downloads - $10
250 downloads - $25

That's not probably not going to happen. What's fair is to give everyone the same price and downloads amount. Due to how the way the downloads are "tracked (with a token bucket)" it's also not possible to have clear accurate number.

That's not probably not going to happen. What's fair is to give everyone the same price and downloads amount. Due to how the way the downloads are "tracked (with a token bucket)" it's also not possible to have clear accurate number.

I made a post on another topic suggesting something like this for the heavy dlers (I think I will manage with the paid limit) but I saw the posts explaining how it works and deleted the post, as I gathered from what you said there, it wouldn't work like that. Just how carried away were people getting downloading early on? People with hundreds or thousands dls a day?

I made a post on another topic suggesting something like this for the heavy dlers (I think I will manage with the paid limit) but I saw the posts explaining how it works and deleted the post, as I gathered from what you said there, it wouldn't work like that. Just how carried away were people getting downloading early on? People with hundreds or thousands dls a day?

I don't have exact numbers, but according to pete, their servers (used for authenticating your anystream license before download), were getting absolutely HAMMERED with a ton of people using the trial version (NO EXCEPTIONS) grabbing hundreds of titles constantly and consitently. Presumably to do a "hit and run" (as in grab what they could, while they could, and then not buy a license)

flexible pricing policy would be solution for this.
Presumably to do a "hit and run" (as in grab what they could, while they could, and then not buy a license)
People always find a way, if you don't implement.
For example, 4-5 people can come together and use Anystream over a single license via a server. But if you implement flexible pricing policy for everyone, noone do that.

flexible pricing policy would be solution for this.

People always find a way, if you don't implement.
For example, 4-5 people can come together and use Anystream over a single license via a server. But if you implement flexible pricing policy for everyone, noone do that.

No it wouldn't. 4-5 people..., that's a good way to get that license blacklisted REAL QUICK and get 0 downloads. There's no such thing as "noone would do that". Ppl do stupid stuff all the time, especially if they want to get things for free.

No it wouldn't. 4-5 people..., that's a good way to get that license blacklisted REAL QUICK and get 0 downloads. There's no such thing as "noone would do that". Ppl do stupid stuff all the time, especially if they want to get things for free.

So true :rolleyes:

I noticed that many users dowload about 100 titles per day. A fair use policy was developed to prevent this.
Now, you can dowload 280 titles per week if you have valid license. So what should be done if someone occasionally downloads the content?
I think, I will only download 1 content a week. But in this case, I'll pay the same as who downloads 280 content per week. I don't think it's fair.
It would be great if licenses could be obtained based on the number of downloads.
For example;

50 downloads - $5
100 downloads - $10
250 downloads - $25
I can only speak for myself but I believe it is always best to trust the Redfox team. They know what they're doing and have always been fair with all their customers. In 10 years I've found this to be true 100% of the time.

So, you are giving free 50 downloads with trial. But, not consider selling the license which is limited to 50 downloads.

Just to make it clear:
RedFox is not licensing downloads as RedFox does not own the content. Instead, what RedFox does - provides a tool that allows legitimate users to download the content they want to watch in ways, that are otherwise impossible due to the limitations implied by content providers. Therefore the only license that may be provided by RedFox is the license to use AnyStream.

The idea behind the trial version is to let a potential buyer evaluate the program and decide whether it serves his/her needs. The limitation of 50 to 71 downloads for a trial version is in place in order to prevent trial version abuse by downloading hundreds of titles just because one can or, even worse, in order to distribute the content further. This limit is way more than is needed for evaluation, if you ask me.

The limitations implied on regular license are there in order to protect our customer from getting their account blacklisted/blocked by content providers at the first place. Second, we need to keep the "bad boys" out. A legitimate user would hardly ever reach the download limit of a payed license.

Bottom line, let me reiterate - the license is for AnyStream, not for the content, therefore, there is no particular reason to further discuss the license or suggest changes as, most likely, no change is going to happen.

The limitations implied on regular license are there in order to protect our customer from getting their account blacklisted/blocked by content providers at the first place. Second, we need to keep the "bad boys" out.

I fully support those intentions.

Basically I am totally satisfied with the number of download limits currently listed for a regular license in the fair use policy.
But I am concerned about the procedures used to "enforce" those limits.

From what I've read so far my understandig of the quota solution with its "Token Bucket" is that the application need to get each download approved by the RedFox server first, correct?

My concern about this procedure is what might happen if the RedFox server is not available or not reachable for some reasons.
Will AnyStream work at all then?

I do not like the idea to depend on a 'control' server which might not be available when I need it.

What about hardcoding your protection measures into the application itself without the need to access a 'control' server first?
Or why not just limiting the download speed to realtime and skip the quotas at all?

Which scenario would be more likely to get an account blacklisted or blocked by content providers?
The one downloading the available 100 downloads from the "Token Bucket" at maximum speed?
Or the one downloading the same amount using realtime speed?

From my point of view limiting the download speed to realtime would be the best way to protect your customers and to keep the "bad boys" at bay.

I fully support those intentions.

Basically I am totally satisfied with the number of download limits currently listed for a regular license in the fair use policy.
But I am concerned about the procedures used to "enforce" those limits.

From what I've read so far my understandig of the quota solution with its "Token Bucket" is that the application need to get each download approved by the RedFox server first, correct?

My concern about this procedure is what might happen if the RedFox server is not available or not reachable for some reasons.
Will AnyStream work at all then?

I do not like the idea to depend on a 'control' server which might not be available when I need it.

What about hardcoding your protection measures into the application itself without the need to access a 'control' server first?
Or why not just limiting the download speed to realtime and skip the quotas at all?

Which scenario would be more likely to get an account blacklisted or blocked by content providers?
The one downloading the available 100 downloads from the "Token Bucket" at maximum speed?
Or the one downloading the same amount using realtime speed?

From my point of view limiting the download speed to realtime would be the best way to protect your customers and to keep the "bad boys" at bay.

The limitations taken seem to be appropriate. If not in place we would soon see countermeasures and the cat and mouse game would start. This would draw the development efforts to just deal with those. Which would be anything else but beneficial.

I didn't see anything in the FAQ but I was wondering if there was a timeline for CC purchases being available.

Okay I'm a dunce, for the paid version, what are the download limits? I saw the post re: the trial version but I didn't see anything about the paid version.

Okay I'm a dunce, for the paid version, what are the download limits? I saw the post re: the trial version but I didn't see anything about the paid version.

Q. Are there any download restrictions?
A. Yes, unfortunately due to massive abuse of the trial version in the initial versions of AnyStream. Download restrictions were forced to be put in place. These limitations are as follows (and will be re-evaluated after a while)
  • Licensed versions: Approximately 280 downloads per week to avoid blocking by streaming provider. Quota starts at 100. When downloads have been "consumed" they refill at 1 every 36 minutes. This amounts to approximately 280/week + the initial 100.

Not a bad deal at all. Being blacklisted was at the top of my worry list, this is a good safeguard. But another concern is what happens when Netflix for example is able to detect how anystream works and does a blacklist that way. Something to think about.

But another concern is what happens when Netflix for example is able to detect how anystream works and does a blacklist that way. Something to think about.

Why don't we cross that bridge if and when that happens . Though I'd assume that hopefully AnyStream works hey an update to work around their change and be right back up and running.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

In my opinion, the limitation is not even strict enough. No one needs 280 downloads per week.

Reactions: DQ
I agree with you but it’s a fair use limitation and it’s one that everybody seems to be happy with. Thank you for your opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: DQ
I am not sure what the number should be but I for sure would be against tiers of the program with different D/L limitations. That seems not at all commensurate with anything. Whether you D/L 1 title a week or 100 the app requires the same amount of work and maintenance. In fact that seems like a scam because you would be charging more for nothing. It would be making money out of thin air. Sounds like something a large corp would do.

Back