• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

About Root Certificates ver 6.1.7.4

Clams

XP-Pro
I'm getting some new messages in Event Viewer > Application

This Event is reported by crypt23 (the Windows Cryptographic Service)

The machine that has an internet connection reported this:

Successful auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt>

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

For my machine without a web connection it said this:

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: 0x8ca

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Both of these messages coincide with the program launch of AnyDVD 6.1.7.4 on thier respective machines and don't seem to be associated with previous versions of AnyDVD.

What is this?? And does this info help??

-W

peer and James would be best able to answer your questions. Are you having any problems running Anydvd 6.1.7.4?

Last edited:
Nope - seems to be fine. I just don't see anything in the release notes of the last few versions to indicate why it's now asking for root access and certification. ???

-W

Another clue I can add to the mix for you. I just checked an older machine that has Event Logs going back quite a while. It's still using AnyDVD 6.1.6.1 -and it has never had any crypt32 events (iether succesfull or otherwise). So it's never had to *attempt* to download any "third party root list sequence number" at all - or it would have reported it iether way.

-W

Found HERE: <--- Lots of interesting reading

Procedures for Preventing Root Certificates from Being Updated on an Individual Computer

The following procedures describe:

* How to use Group Policy to disable the Update Root Certificates component on users’ computers.
* How to use Control Panel to remove the Update Root Certificates component from an individual computer running Windows XP with SP2.
* How to exclude the Update Root Certificates component during unattended installation of Windows XP with SP2 by using an answer file.

To Disable the Update Root Certificates Component by Using Group Policy

1. See Appendix B, "Learning About Group Policy and Updating Administrative Templates,” for information about using Group Policy. Ensure that your Administrative templates have been updated, and then edit an appropriate GPO.
2. Click Computer Configuration, click Administrative Templates, click System, click Internet Communication Management, and then click Internet Communication settings.
3. In the details pane, double-click Turn off Automatic Root Certificates Update, and then click Enabled.

Important You can also restrict Internet access for this and a number of other components by applying the Restrict Internet communication policy setting, which is located in Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Internet Communication Management. For more information about this Group Policy and the policies that it controls, see Appendix C, "Group Policy Settings Listed Under the Internet Communication Management Key."

To Remove the Update Root Certificates Component from an Individual Computer Running Windows XP with SP2

1. Click Start, and then either click Control Panel, or point to Settings and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
3. Click Add/Remove Windows Components (on the left).
4. Scroll down the list of components to Update Root Certificates, and make sure the check box for that component is cleared.
5. Follow the instructions to complete the Windows Components Wizard.

To Exclude the Update Root Certificates Component During Unattended Installation by Using an Answer File

1. Using the methods you prefer for unattended installation or remote installation, create an answer file. For more information about unattended and remote installation, see Appendix A, "Resources for Learning About Automated Installation and Deployment."
2. In the [Components] section of the answer file, include the following entry:

Rootautoupdate = Off

That's all fascinating and interesting, but I just want AnyDVD to go back to doing whatever it was doing, as opposed to changing my computer to adapt to the problem. (it's only the latest version that causes these events - and no other installed software (including AnyDVD) ever caused these events before.)

I'm waiting for James to take a look at this issue. Since it just popped up, I'm assuming it's a new "feature" (bug). :D

Another curiosity?? One of the latest versions of AnyDVD creates an (empty) AnyDVDHD folder in "My Documents". What's that all about??

-W

Last edited:
One of the latest versions of AnyDVD creates an (empty) AnyDVDHD folder in "My Documents". What's that all about??

-W

i've got that folder aswell.
it is a folder for when a disc is ripped to the hard drive.
it's nothing sinister.

there's one for clonedvd2 aswell found on the Local Disk (C: ) called CloneDVDTemp.

Last edited:
I knew it was nothing sinster, it's *exactly* surprises like *that* that outta be explained in the release notes though.

Any time a program makes any changes to my machine, I want it explained to me. That's just an SOP here.

-W

That's all fascinating and interesting, but I just want AnyDVD to go back to doing whatever it was doing, as opposed to changing my computer to adapt to the problem. (it's only the latest version that causes these events - and no other installed software (including AnyDVD) ever caused these events before.)

I'm waiting for James to take a look at this issue. Since it just popped up, I'm assuming it's a new "feature" (bug). :D

Another curiosity?? One of the latest versions of AnyDVD creates an (empty) AnyDVDHD folder in "My Documents". What's that all about??

-W
It just an empty folder to rip the DVD files to when you use the ripper, like a default folder.

Back