• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A DVD, anydvd does not handle

barzh

- Version of AnyDVD: 6.1.7.4
- Burning appication n/a, I just tried to rip or copy to HD with AnyDVD
- Title: Augsburger Puppenkisten: Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13, see http://www.amazon.de/Augsburger-Pup...538379-4647425?ie=UTF8&qid=1190194103&sr=11-1
- Region code: 0
- Release: 2004
- DVD drives used: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S182M, second test was on a no-name drive, which identifies itself only as IDE DVD-ROM 16X. third also on a no-name drive.

I have tested this DVD (Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13) with three different DVD drives (it is a theatre play for children. I would like to keep the original disks in a safe place and give copies to my children, therefore a backup is needed!). AnyDVD does not handle it. It reports reports Arccos, Puppetlock and a bad sector protection on it.

I can see two blank rings on the DVD. One close to the centre, one approximately 1,5 cm from the edge. AnyDVD reports that one bad sector protection was detected and removed. Maybe the rings are the bad sectors and it missed the second one?

Copying the files to HD always fails at the fifths VOB file, after some 388 KBytes, it hangs. It seems that copying this file files just the same with or without AnyDVD. I have cleaned the DVD, it is new and has no visible scratches. Therefore I strongly suspect, that AnyDVD just does not handle it yet.

(I haven't registered the program yet, as I first would like to convince myself that it actually works. I'm usually working on Linux, therefore, I'd happily register a Linux version, once it is there and works).

Attachments

• ifo.zip
    66.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Just for the record: Just tried DVDFab, which copied the disc just fine.

I have cleaned the DVD, it is new and has no visible scratches. Therefore I strongly suspect, that AnyDVD just does not handle it yet.

Actually, being brand new and having no scratches is not an indication that the disc is fine.

Try cleaning your disc. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. With Anydvd running in the background, select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, let us know.

That said, I do suspect this is a recent Anydvd bug.

Just for the record: Just tried DVDFab, which copied the disc just fine.

Dvdfab does skip over read errors. When this happens, the backup is imperfect (if it's just a few cells, you won't notice it; if it's a large error, then you will notice it).

But again, I do think this could be a recent Anydvd bug.

It looks like this is a three years old bug in AnyDVD:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=130117

While I don't deny the possibility of a bug being introduced into Anydvd recently, and in fact I certainly expect that is the case here, the bug isn't 3 years old. It was probably introduced very recently.

Here is the summary information provided by AnyDVD:

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.4)
TSSTCORP CD/DVDW SH-S182M SB02 0901
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1715328 sectors (3350 MBytes)
Total size: 3307888 sectors (6460 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: Jim Knopf
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 1 2 3 4 5 6!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 1 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

When trying to back up using clone dvd, I see the following error message:

File 1 E:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_5.VOB 1117 TCSectorReader

Here is the summary information provided by AnyDVD:

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.4)
TSSTCORP CD/DVDW SH-S182M SB02 0901
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1715328 sectors (3350 MBytes)
Total size: 3307888 sectors (6460 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: Jim Knopf
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 1 2 3 4 5 6!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 1 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

When trying to back up using clone dvd, I see the following error message:

File 1 E:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_5.VOB 1117 TCSectorReader

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's an Anydvd bug that was introduced after a lot of updates recently. Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=51687&postcount=16

An Anydvd update should fix it.

Last edited:
Back