• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD Blu-Rays with Ryzen 3900X & Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080

Yours is the 2nd scenario.

I do hope so.

Previously whenever trying Cyberlink (I had versions 18, and 19 before) the program refused to play the discs. I don't recall the exactly error message but it said something about my hardware. Trying seveal other players (sadly I uninstalled them) they didn't even recognize the UHD format. The only remaining software from that period was the Aiseesoft Blu-Ray Player, which, by the way, was recently updated. Now this program also plays my 4K BDV, and with AnyDVD HD on the background as well.

I sincerely hope that you can understand my queries/confusions and my quest to find what is going on. Of course, consoles like the PS5 can be designed with proprietary methods do defeat Kaby Lake and SGX, but I am not in this business, I am a simple end user. I had to find a local explanation instead. The problem is that there are several variables at stake. Which ones are responsible I am yet to know.

I do hope so.

Previously whenever trying Cyberlink (I had versions 18, and 19 before) the program refused to play the discs. I don't recall the exactly error message but it said something about my hardware. Trying seveal other players (sadly I uninstalled them) they didn't even recognize the UHD format. The only remaining software from that period was the Aiseesoft Blu-Ray Player, which, by the way, was recently updated. Now this program also plays my 4K BDV, and with AnyDVD HD on the background as well.

I sincerely hope that you can understand my queries/confusions and my quest to find what is going on. Of course, consoles like the PS5 can be designed with proprietary methods do defeat Kaby Lake and SGX, but I am not in this business, I am a simple end user. I had to find a local explanation instead. The problem is that there are several variables at stake. Which ones are responsible I am yet to know.

Hmm I'm not sure what could have caused that. If AnyDVD is running and has successfully opened the disc then Cyberlink shouldn't complain about this. What I will say though is in version 18 and before, you'll get a black screen with no picture because those earlier version still require SGX even though you use AnyDVD.

Yeah I'm getting a clearer picture of your questions now. I thought you had an Intel SGX build previously.

And yes with your current LG Blu-Ray drive, if you take that and put in a 100% Intel SGX compliant system it still won't work because Cyberlink doesn't support UHD Friendly drives.

It's really very simple. The ability to play non protected uhd is new to powerdvd 20 and has absolutely nothing at all to do with your hardware. Period.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It's really very simple. The ability to play non protected uhd is new to powerdvd 20 and has absolutely nothing at all to do with your hardware. Period.

Isn't it PowerDVD 19?

What I will say though is in version 18 and before, you'll get a black screen with no picture because those earlier version still require SGX even though you use AnyDVD.

Yes, I remember now that I was getting a black screen off UHD discs, not an error message.

Incidentally, and speaking of black screens, my first Blu-Ray player was part of a Nero Suite. I found out that the British war movie Zulu, which was a code-free disc, would produce a black screen as well. I wrote an e-mail to the Nero AG support, they asked me to dump info from my system, which I did, but they never came up with an explanation or workaround, and this particular disc played correctly with other more humble players that I decided to install on my PC. Eventually Nero withdrew their player from the suite, but did not explain why.

Only VERY late versions of it and not everyone got it to work. PowerDVD 20 made it a feature.

Are you sure about that?

If you go to the PowerDVD support page it continues to state that the minimum requirement for UHD playback are the same as before, and I quote:

CPU

Intel 7th generation (Kaby Lake) Core i processors and above that support the Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology.

Those requirements apply to versions 14 up to 20 of the Ultra software!

Yes I'm sure. When powerdvd 20 was first released that was a feature they touted. Uhd and bluray from iso. They've since removed it from the feature list but it still works.

You need to stop looking at their official uhd requirements though. They are not the same thing. Official playback is always going to require sgx, an official drive, blah blah blah. Unprotected iso or folder requires none of that. And hasn't since later versions of powerdvd 19.

Hi SamuriHL, thanks for reassuring me about Cyberlink PowerDVD 20. I have been using versions 18, 19, and now 20, all of them Ultra editions. 20 Ultra was recently installed.

Please note that I never played ISO files or disks, all the discs I mentioned before were commercially pressed 4K Blu-Rays. Won't that make a difference? Many of these discs feature the copy protection logo at the back, such as Sony's and Warner's. It is I presume at this point that AnyDVD HD can and probably will play a key role in making those discs playable.

In addition, I can now also play those discs using the Blu-Ray Player from Aiseesoft, which previously was incapable of playing 4K discs. I am, in this case, prone to assume that they too defeated SGX. However, if you look at the Player's specs, you will see the following information of 4K formats as MP4, TS, MKV, AVI, FLV e WebM. Nothing is said about UHD Blu-Ray discs.

I can only speak to powerdvd. On a uhd without anydvd running, it will always require sgx, Intel gpu, and an official drive for playback. Once the aacs protection is removed there is no longer a requirement for powerdvd to utilize the protected disc path. That happens for any disc format that powerdvd supports, including putting a uhd disc in the drive. That's really all that's happening. You remove aacs in real time with anydvd and the disc is treated as unprotected by powerdvd.

Hi SamuriHL, thanks for reassuring me about Cyberlink PowerDVD 20. I have been using versions 18, 19, and now 20, all of them Ultra editions. 20 Ultra was recently installed.

Please note that I never played ISO files or disks, all the discs I mentioned before were commercially pressed 4K Blu-Rays. Won't that make a difference? Many of these discs feature the copy protection logo at the back, such as Sony's and Warner's. It is I presume at this point that AnyDVD HD can and probably will play a key role in making those discs playable.

In addition, I can now also play those discs using the Blu-Ray Player from Aiseesoft, which previously was incapable of playing 4K discs. I am, in this case, prone to assume that they too defeated SGX. However, if you look at the Player's specs, you will see the following information of 4K formats as MP4, TS, MKV, AVI, FLV e WebM. Nothing is said about UHD Blu-Ray discs.

Aiseesoft never required SGX. They didn’t defeat it. Requiring SGX is a choice that Cyberlink made on their own. SGX has nothing to do with UHD Blu-Ray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It isn't a licensed player.

Yes because it can't playback encrypted discs to begin with. Cyberlink can as they are licensed. I'm sure these SGX and Blu-Ray Ready drives are part of the requirements to gain and keep the license.

Just trying to clarify some features in the Aiseesoft's Blu-Ray Player:

It is meant to playback 1080p of any Blu-Ray disc, including those copy protected ones, without running AnyDVD HD in the background. Please note: I am currrently using version 6.6.38. When playing UHD Blu-Ray discs I must have AnyDVD running, and it will play just fine. Conversely, wihout AnyDVD this player will show a message saying that it is loading the disc content and it will not continue to play the disc, no matter how much time you wait.

You can check the players features in this page: https://www.aiseesoft.com/blu-ray-player/

Nothing is mentioned about 4K Blu-Ray.

It is fair, at this point, to assume that AnyDVD will make a difference when playing UHD Blu-Ray with this player. And,by the way, it also produces a far better picture quality than PowerDVD. In the latter, there is a warning about my computer's monitor not being HDR capable, but it will let me play the disc anyway. Picture enhancement is not available! The resulting picture is quite washed out.

It is meant to playback 1080p of any Blu-Ray disc, including those copy protected ones, without running AnyDVD HD in the background.
So they crack the encryption. I wonder, how they do it. But you keep AnyDVD running anyway for all the cool additional features...

It is meant to playback 1080p of any Blu-Ray disc, including those copy protected ones, without running AnyDVD HD in the background. Please note: I am currrently using version 6.6.38. When playing UHD Blu-Ray discs I must have AnyDVD running, and it will play just fine. Conversely, wihout AnyDVD this player will show a message saying that it is loading the disc content and it will not continue to play the disc, no matter how much time you wait.

You can check the players features in this page: https://www.aiseesoft.com/blu-ray-player/

Nothing is mentioned about 4K Blu-Ray.

It is fair, at this point, to assume that AnyDVD will make a difference when playing UHD Blu-Ray with this player. And,by the way, it also produces a far better picture quality than PowerDVD. In the latter, there is a warning about my computer's monitor not being HDR capable, but it will let me play the disc anyway. Picture enhancement is not available! The resulting picture is quite washed out.

The reason they don't mention 4K Blu-Ray is because it doesn't support it, i.e. it can't decrypt 4K Blu-Ray discs.

This is why you need AnyDVD to decrypt the discs in order to use Aiseesoft.

On the other hand PowerDVD lists is because it does support 4K Blu-Ray discs, which is why you can use it without AnyDVD.

If Aiseesoft lists 4K Blu-Ray support then people will expect it to play the discs simply by purchasing it, and that's false advertising.

By the way, you can use pretty much any H.265 players to play 4K Blu-Ray discs including MPC-HC and the default 'Films & TV' app that comes pre-installed with Windows 10. None of these lists support for 4K discs but they work. You'll just need to browse to the .\BDMV\STREAM directory and play the largest sized .m2ts file you find there. Give this a go!!

Last edited:
Okay, I don't have MPC-HC installed but I tried what you suugested with Films & TV. These are my results:

Films & TV without AnyDVD: it does not play, and informs that the m2ts file is incompatible.
Films & TV with AnyDVD: it will play the m2ts file albeit with no access to subtitles. Picture quality is quite good.

From this test I can continue to assume that AnyDVD plays an important role in the playback of UHD media.

So they crack the encryption. I wonder, how they do it. But you keep AnyDVD running anyway for all the cool additional features...

That's possible, yes. Please note that that Aiseesoft player was never able to playback the Top Menu. As of lately they set up a menu that lets you choose subtitles, chapters, extras, etc. It is reasoable to presume that the player may convert all files to another format, or some to that effect.

From this test I can continue to assume that AnyDVD plays an important role in the playback of UHD media.
All media. And yes, there might be a reason, why we made it.

That's possible, yes. Please note that that Aiseesoft player was never able to playback the Top Menu. As of lately they set up a menu that lets you choose subtitles, chapters, extras, etc. It is reasoable to presume that the player may convert all files to another format, or some to that effect.
So you can just use VLC (or any other decent player) instead and save some money. As long as AnyDVD is running.

So you can just use VLC (or any other decent player) instead and save some money. As long as AnyDVD is running.

Well, yes, but I have that Aissesoft player for such a long time now. Some time ago I decided to "clean up" my PC of free players. Some were quite good, such as the Pot Player 64 bis, which would download a codec decoder on the fly. But after a while all of them became useless, too many players and unnecessary disc space waste.

AnyDVD is an incredible software, I can't live without it. I need to play discs for research purposes, and use what I find to write my articles. I never used my PC for home theater and I will probably never will. Instead, I use an Oppo UHD-203, which is also a SACD and DVD Audio player.

Back