• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Keep Protection w/ BD ISOs

• Saves a great deal of space on crap I'll never watch. I select only the HD/DTS English audio and deselect all others. I don't even keep the 2.0 English; it's pointless.

hmm sometimes those 2.0 English tracks are the original audio mix the movie had! if you delete them you might be deleting your only way to ever hear the original sound effects, mixing volume, etc.

I seem to recall that way back using AnyDVD to rip didn't do any error checking to make sure the rip was perfect and without read errors and that you had to use CloneBD to insure that but that it might be added to AnyDVD.

Any comments as to the current status? Any reason to not use AnyDVD to rip to images when you want a perfect image of the entire disc and/or that but also with protection removed?

I'm not sure where that information came from but it's inaccurate. AnyDVD does quite a bit of error checking when using the rip functionality.

Robocopy is a godsend.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The first thing that caught my eye was it allows you to keep two "libraries" in perfect sync.

I've been using Xcopy for library backups, and it's great, but what it won't due is remove items in the Target library that are no longer in the Source, thus making the Target out-of-sync.

I wrote my own quick-and-dirty helper program to handle that after Xcopy runs --- but if Robocopy can do that, that's a big plus right there!

T

Any reason to not use AnyDVD to rip to images when you want a perfect image of the entire disc and/or that but also with protection removed?

Certainly hope not! :=)

I've been using Rip-To-Image to do just that for years!

... AnyDVD does quite a bit of error checking when using the rip functionality.

Exactly.

I remember James commenting on that on a number of occasions.

T

The first thing that caught my eye was it allows you to keep two "libraries" in perfect sync.

I've been using Xcopy for library backups, and it's great, but what it won't due is remove items in the Target library that are no longer in the Source, thus making the Target out-of-sync.

I wrote my own quick-and-dirty helper program to handle that after Xcopy runs --- but if Robocopy can do that, that's a big plus right there!

T
It does. And it's made for network copies so it's very reliable.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Is there anything potentially troublesome when backing up UHDs both as protected and unprotected about first writing a protected clone to the HD and then to save time and drive wear and so on mounting the protected ISO file and then using that as the source to rip an unprotected copy to the HD as well?

Is there anything potentially troublesome when backing up UHDs both as protected and unprotected about first writing a protected clone to the HD and then to save time and drive wear and so on mounting the protected ISO file and then using that as the source to rip an unprotected copy to the HD as well?

I did it that way for a while but not so much any more.

I make a lot of backups and usually just spot-check them quickly after creation and move on. If in fact there was a problem with the first rip, using that as the source for the second just propagates the issue.

So now I not only create both backups from the disc, I also make sure to use different drives in each case.

Increases the likelihood that at least one of backups is fine -- in the absence of fully verifying.

T

doesn't it do quite a bit of error checking though?

Yes, I think to make sure it rips exactly what it reads on the disc.

But I don't know how much that helps if what it reads is wrong to begin with. Like with an errant smudge, fingerprint or dust that you might not have noticed on the disc.

Or like what just happened to me with a recent UHD where the way it was mastered or manufactured or whatever made some of my drives struggle to read it properly while some read it no problem.

T

Yes, I think to make sure it rips exactly what it reads on the disc.

But I don't know how much that helps if what it reads is wrong to begin with. Like with an errant smudge, fingerprint or dust that you might not have noticed on the disc.

Or like what just happened to me with a recent UHD where the way it was mastered or manufactured or whatever made some of my drives struggle to read it properly while some read it no problem.

T

hmm it seems hard to believe that if does tons of error checking that it's simply making sure what it read was written to the HD, I thought HD systems already automatically did that and that it's a crazy rare occurence to begin

i noticed that discs with smudges ANyDVDHD tossed up "try again" messages and stuff so it seemed more like it was doing some checksum to what should really be on the disc, or maybe it's just reading the same section a few times and seeing if they all match (in the latter case it's true that if it only does that a persisent misread could get stored)

If AnyDVD finishes w/o error message the copy will work. Encrypted or not. Just from experience and no proof.

In the past this was not the case. AnyDVD continued after errors but I think James changed that.

I thought HD systems already automatically did that and that it's a crazy rare occurence to begin

If you mean the Hard Drive itself, it can't check against the source 'cause it has no knowledge of it.

Only the ripping app can do that.

i noticed that discs with smudges ANyDVDHD tossed up "try again" messages and stuff so it seemed more like it was doing some checksum to what should really be on the disc, or maybe it's just reading the same section a few times and seeing if they all match (in the latter case it's true that if it only does that a persisent misread could get stored)
If AnyDVD finishes w/o error message the copy will work. Encrypted or not. Just from experience and no proof.
In the past this was not the case. AnyDVD continued after errors but I think James changed that.

Yeah, I personally don't know the details of how rippers do what they do.

All I can do is talk from my own past experiences, where some completed backups have spots where they get hung up during play or have sporadic drop-outs.

Not a frequent occurrence but has happened on occasion.

I do the double-rip from the disc using different drives and HD's for my own peace of mind.

BTW, lately I've been doing backups mostly with ImgBurn rather than Rip-To-Image 'cause I've been running automated rips.

(Unfortunately, it's not possible to automate Rip-To-Image as of yet.)

T

If you mean the Hard Drive itself, it can't check against the source 'cause it has no knowledge of it.

T

no, i meant that the HD system itself checks that if you send so and so value to be written to the HD I believe it checks to make sure that so and so value was what was really successfully written to the HD so that isn't the sort of error checking AnyDVD would be doing, so what it does do must be more on trying to verify what it has read off the disc is really what it should have read

no, i meant that the HD system itself checks that if you send so and so value to be written to the HD I believe it checks to make sure that so and so value was what was really successfully written to the HD so that isn't the sort of error checking AnyDVD would be doing, so what it does do must be more on trying to verify what it has read off the disc is really what it should have read

Ok.

I would think AnyDVD would do a check to make sure what it reads from the disc is what actually made it to the Hard Drive.

I know ImgBurn has a Verify function which does that...

I do think it's possible for something to seem like a correct read to AnyDVD but because of some physical "interference" it's actually not.

Then again maybe not. Maybe it has algorithms to correct even for that scenario.

As I said, I don't really know these details.

But anecdotally I know a completed backup can have problems.

To be fair, I see this less and less these days. So maybe things have greatly improved on that front.

T

Yeah, I personally don't know the details of how rippers do what they do.

All I can do is talk from my own past experiences, where some completed backups have spots where they get hung up during play or have sporadic drop-outs.

Not a frequent occurrence but has happened on occasion.

I do the double-rip from the disc using different drives and HD's for my own peace of mind.

BTW, lately I've been doing backups mostly with ImgBurn rather than Rip-To-Image 'cause I've been running automated rips.

(Unfortunately, it's not possible to automate Rip-To-Image as of yet.)

T

I just ran into a weird case. Was having so much trouble with a disc. Bogs down during playback and took many tries to finally get it to rip seemingly successfully once. But then when I went to make an unprotected version using the UHD rip as the source it came up with bad unreadable sector errors using the image on the HD mounted!

So it seems some sort of errors can potentially get through when ripping with AnyDVDHD and it seems that somehow they can make the image file itself somehow have bad sectors.

But it also seems that using the original protected rip image as a source might be a good idea, since then when you go to make the unprotected using it as a source it seems to do sort of a double check to some degree on it and can maybe find an error that initially made it through.

If you just rip each UHD once each way from disc you might end up with two equally bad rips neither given a second verification at all.

Back