• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

[I have not posted here in quite a while. I have been having issues with my internal drive in a SATA2USB enclosure. My PC does not have a 5.25" drive bay] Anyway... Can someone recommend a USB UHD Blu-Ray writer? Either a drive that is already UHD friendly or one that can be cross-flashed. If it can found at MicroCenter that would be a bonus as I live near a MC.

Or, could someone point me to a thread here where folks are posting about USB Blu-Ray Writers that are UHD friendly and can be cross-flashed?

Just get a vantec case and stick an LG drive in it. NS40 (made after 2015), NS55, NS60...whatever. Then flash a friendly firmware to it.

Just get a vantec case and stick an LG drive in it. NS40 (made after 2015), NS55, NS60...whatever. Then flash a friendly firmware to it.
[Vantec?] I have confidence in my WH16NS40 because I used it as an internal drive for a long time. It's the USB2SATA interface I would like to remove from the equation. IOW, I am willing to spend some $$ to get a USB UHD friendly Blu-Ray writer. And I am just looking for a recommendation?

My bad for any confusion. Above, I was talking about a USB interface external UHD friendly Blu-Ray writer. No SATA2USB enclosure. I want to remove the SATA2USB from the equation.

Last edited:
That's a nice lofty goal but the reality is all USB drives are internally sata to USB. In any case, I don't know of any USB friendly drives. The bu40 is an official drive.

That's a nice lofty goal but the reality is all USB drives are internally sata to USB. In any case, I don't know of any USB friendly drives. The bu40 is an official drive.
Thanks for being patient with me. I was not aware that an external drive, HDD or Optical Writer, still used a SATA interface. I just assumed that there were USB interfaces in externals that bypassed the SATA interface.

Not usually, no. They're almost always SATA drives just in a case. Which is why I recommended a Vantec case with a desktop drive.

Yup that's it. The reason I chose that case myself is cause it supports flashing the drives. Not all USB cases do.

I have got a LG BH16NS55 drive, and follow the step but I have got an error #5, how can I fix it?

upload_2021-8-29_19-33-45.png

upload_2021-8-29_19-34-15.png

Last edited:
Hello.
Why is an enclosure necessary (other than aesthetics)? Wouldn't a SATA-to-USB adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-SATA-IDE-Adapter-CB-ISA225-U3/dp/B01E7EPKUO) also work?
Why do some cases NOT support flashing the drives and would such a simple adapter not support it either?
Thank you.

FYI to everyone, the Vantec USB-to-SATA adapter that I posted above works fine. I bought a LG WH16NS40-NS50 and successfully flashed it to ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 (as suggested) with the SDFtool (v1.3.1). It might be a brand issue, namely Vantec can do it, while others don't, who knows... MakeMKV (v1.16.5) LibreDrive information now says "Status: Enabled, Drive platform: MT1959, etc." Much better to pay $20 for the adapter than $50+ for an enclosure.

Indeed, the 3.10 firmware gives speeds up to 30MB/s, which I had never seen. Could there be a longevity problem with the drive (hardware), if it's allowed to run that fast? Could it be a reason for LG to be limiting the speed?

Last edited:
Posting for help. The Black Adam 4K disc wouldn't rip w/my ASUS-BW-16D1HT. It gave me the error since the key isn't available yet.
Now the drive won't read any disc.
Rebooted my PC.
Was on 3.01 Firmware and went and tried 3.10 but still nothing.
Even regular BD's aren't showing up.
Not sure what happened but it happened after the BA 4K disc error.
Now I'm at a loss. I see 3.10 now as the fw but nothing other than the 3.10.
Any advice/suggestions?

Posting for help. The Black Adam 4K disc wouldn't rip w/my ASUS-BW-16D1HT. It gave me the error since the key isn't available yet.
Now the drive won't read any disc.
Rebooted my PC.
Was on 3.01 Firmware and went and tried 3.10 but still nothing.
Even regular BD's aren't showing up.
Not sure what happened but it happened after the BA 4K disc error.
Now I'm at a loss. I see 3.10 now as the fw but nothing other than the 3.10.
Any advice/suggestions?
Most likely the blue laser is dead. Try a CD and if this works it's clearly the blue laser. CD is red laser.

Back