• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Need HELP with UHD

WaltK

I have been successfully backing-up my Blu-ray disks for over a year now and would like to start backing-up my 4K UHD discs. To accomplish this I recently purchased a Pioneer BDR-XD07B Slim Portable USB 3.0 BD/DVD/CD Writer. According to the drive specs, the drive should read and write BD/R; BD-R DL; BD-R TL/QL; BD-R (LTH); BD-RE; BD-RE DL/TL; M-DISC BD-R SL/TL/DL. Additionally, the drive should be able to read BD-ROM SL/DL.

Testing the drive, I discovered that it could read and write to BD-R and BD-R DL discs but when I inserted a 4K ULTRA HD Blu-ray disc into the drive, the drive failed to see the disc and kept messaging me to insert a disc into the drive. Why? Did I buy the wrong drive?

It should be noted that my computer has a Intel Core i3-3220T CPU @ 2.80 GHz Processor with 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM and only has USB 2.0 ports.

Any help you can provide to get me on the right learning path so that I back-up my 4K UHD discs will be deeply appreciated.

You picked the wrong drive. You need a uhd friendly drive which the pioneer is not. Asus and newer LG drives work well for this purpose.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You picked the wrong drive. You need a uhd friendly drive which the pioneer is not. Asus and newer LG drives work well for this purpose.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I tried inserting a 4K ULTRA HD Blu-ray disc into my LG BP50NB40 Blu-ray Drive that according to specs supports BD-XL. Again the drive failed to see the disc and kept messaging me to insert a disc into the drive.

Do you know of any specific LG and/or Asus slim portable USB BD/DVD/CD writers that are uhd friendly drives, and do you know the drive's model number so that I can buy the right kind of drive for my needs?

I tried inserting a 4K ULTRA HD Blu-ray disc into my LG BP50NB40 Blu-ray Drive that according to specs supports BD-XL. Again the drive failed to see the disc and kept messaging me to insert a disc into the drive.

Do you know of any specific LG and/or Asus slim portable USB BD/DVD/CD writers that are uhd friendly drives, and do you know the drive's model number so that I can buy the right kind of drive for my needs?

None of the slim portable drives are UHD "Friendly". All of them are UHD "Official", meaning they will not work with AnyDVD but will work with MakeMKV.

The BP50NB40 (if it's not too old) can be cross-flashed to a BP60NB10 which will allow UHD ripping with MakeMKV (not AnyDVD)

None of the slim portable drives are UHD "Friendly". All of them are UHD "Official", meaning they will not work with AnyDVD but will work with MakeMKV.

The BP50NB40 (if it's not too old) can be cross-flashed to a BP60NB10 which will allow UHD ripping with MakeMKV (not AnyDVD)
Thank you f

Thank you f
Thank you for your help. I have returned the Pioneer BDR-XD07B and am replacing it with a LG BP60NB10. The new drive is scheduled to be delivered to me on August 19. Additionally I have installed MakeMKV on my computer and am becoming familiar with the software. I will be back in touch with you to inform you and the RedFox community if the new drive solves my problem.

Thank you for your help. I have returned the Pioneer BDR-XD07B and am replacing it with a LG BP60NB10. The new drive is scheduled to be delivered to me on August 19. Additionally I have installed MakeMKV on my computer and am becoming familiar with the software. I will be back in touch with you to inform you and the RedFox community if the new drive solves my problem.

Just a heads up! The BP60NB10 won't work straight out of the box and will require flashing the firmware to version 1.00-MK to allow UHD ripping. Also, it will work with MakeMKV, not AnyDVD.

Is it a 1959 chipset? If so, that's true.....for now.

Yep.

FYI, none of the slim drives are UHD "friendly". They are all UHD "official", thus don't work with AnyDVD (for now!!).

Last edited:
Just a heads up! The BP60NB10 won't work straight out of the box and will require flashing the firmware to version 1.00-MK to allow UHD ripping. Also, it will work with MakeMKV, not AnyDVD.
Can you tell me where I can find version 1.00-MK firmware for the LG BP60NB10 drive and explain step-by-step, in great detail, how to flash the existing firmware in the drive to version 1.00-MK. Please keep in mind that I am just a novice at this, and am hoping that you experts will be kind enough to help educate me. Thank you!

You will want to use MakeMKV's sdftool64 for this. It's built into MakeMKV and is run from the command line.

First get this:

https://www.makemkv.com/download/mk-firmware-pack-20200720.zip

Extract that to a folder. Inside you will find:

old\HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.00-NM00200-211711211720.bin

Open a command prompt, and navigate to your C:\Program Files\MakeMKV folder.

Next you're going to want to follow these directions:

List drives:
sdftool64 --list

Find the drive listed that you want to flash. For demonstration purposes we'll use F:

Flash the firmware:
sdftool64 -d F: rawflash -i c:\whatever\the\path\is\to\this\directory\old\HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.00-NM00200-211711211720.bin

Remember to replace F: with whatever your drive letter is from the --list command. Also replace c:\whatever\the\path\is\to\this\directory with the actual path to where you extracted the firmware pack zip file. That should be it.

You will want to use MakeMKV's sdftool64 for this. It's built into MakeMKV and is run from the command line.

First get this:

List drives:
sdftool64 --list

Find the drive listed that you want to flash. For demonstration purposes we'll use F:

Flash the firmware:
sdftool64 -d F: rawflash -i c:\whatever\the\path\is\to\this\directory\old\HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.00-NM00200-211711211720.bin

Remember to replace F: with whatever your drive letter is from the --list command. Also replace c:\whatever\the\path\is\to\this\directory with the actual path to where you extracted the firmware pack zip file. That should be it.
Well, why not using the Windows flasher? Is that drive one that has encrpted firmware?

For the average user with limited computer knowledge I still recommend:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

and "how to flash videos".

First get this:

List drives:
sdftool64 --list

Flash the firmware:

I finally received my LG BP60NB10 Drive with firmware version 1.01
When I attempted to flash the drive to firmware version 1.00 I received error code 0x8f052603. Please see attached command prompt capture file "Flash Attempt"

For running MakeMKV with firmware version 1.01 please see attached file "Capture MakeMKV Screen"
For running AnyDVD HD with firmware version 1.01 please see attached file "Capture AnyDVD HD Screen"

Any additional help you can provide will be deeply appreciated.Flash Attempt.JPG Capture MakeMKV Screen.JPG Flash Attempt.JPG Capture MakeMKV Screen.JPG Capture AnyDVD HD Screen.JPG

You see that big error in your command prompt there? That tells you it was not successful writing the firmware. Try this:

before the -i parameter, add de

Also make sure to disable AnyDVD while doing this. Besides the fact that as mentioned previously, the drive is not going to work in AnyDVD anyway, even after flashing it.

Back