• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD wont decrypt any of my UHDs but other software will?

You can do what I do if you want AnyDVD support and use my script to rip it to protected ISO. Then you mount that with Virtual CloneDrive and use it just like a "friendly drive". I do this all the time because I use CloneBD to create my MKV's due to their MLP support (TrueHD/ATMOS) in MKV being rock solid for me. Save this to a bat file and edit it for your local environment:

Code:
@echo off
cd /d "C:\program files (x86)\MakeMKV\"
makemkvcon64.exe info disc:0
cd /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\"
ImgBurn.exe /MODE READ /SRC G: /DEST d:\ISO\[DISC_LABEL].ISO /START /CLOSESUCCESS

The disc:0 needs to match your drive for MakeMKV. The G: needs to match your drive letter. And the d:\ISO needs to match wherever you want to output your ISO. This will create a protected ISO that can be mounted in Virtual CloneDrive and used with AnyDVD just like a friendly drive.

SamuriHl,

it escapes me... Please just list the benefits making that protected ISO. It seems to be a waste of storage space and time.

You can do what I do if you want AnyDVD support and use my script to rip it to protected ISO.

Good suggestion, SamuriHL!!

As you know, I've been using a version of the script for quite a while now and it works great.

For those unfamiliar with what it's doing (and correct me if I misrepresent here), it calls on makeMKV to invoke LibreDrive on your drive (using makemkvcon64.exe), then uses ImgBurn to create an .iso from the disc.

The result of first invoking LibreDrive is bus-encryption is removed as a concern on the .iso produced, so in essence it's the same as an AnyDVD-created protected .iso.

The only restriction is the drive has to be one that LibreDrive works on.

It's probably also best to have AnyDVD disabled for that drive while the script is running.

Once you have the .iso and mount it, AnyDVD will read it like any other .iso and will allow you to play the UHD if supported.

@coopervid, the benefit then is you've sidestepped AnyDVD's inability to read from the official drive and now have a working backup of the title that is AnyDVD-friendly.

T

Thanks, Samurai. I don't have my drive connected. Where would I find the disc:0 setting for makeMKV? My system will usually assign an attached drive as G I don't see where MakeMKV shows the disc information.

The makemkvcon64 info command might show the drive numbers. I'm not at my machine right now but there is definitely a way to get it to show the list of drive numbers. I'll look it up tomorrow if you can't find it by then.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks, Samurai. I don't have my drive connected. Where would I find the disc:0 setting for makeMKV? My system will usually assign an attached drive as G I don't see where MakeMKV shows the disc information.
The makemkvcon64 info command might show the drive numbers. I'm not at my machine right now but there is definitely a way to get it to show the list of drive numbers. I'll look it up tomorrow if you can't find it by then.

makeMKV disc numbers are a pain!

So one of the changes in my script was to access the drive for the makemkvcon64 command directly by using the "dev:" parameter instead of "disc:" -- and supplying the actual drive letter.

It basically looks like this:

------> makemkvcon64.exe info dev:E:

where "E:" is the letter of my disc drive.

That's a lot easier than finding what disc number makeMKV has (arbitrarily) assigned.

But, if you really want to see the makeMKV disc assignment you can execute this:

------> makemkvcon64.exe" -r --cache=1 info

... and it should show the mapping.

Here's some sample output:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSG:1005,0,1,"MakeMKV v1.14.7 win(x64-release) started","%1 started","MakeMKV v1
.14.7 win(x64-release)"

DRV:0,2,999,4,"BD-ROM hp BDDVDRW CH28N ED3C","Carrie_Disc_2","E:"
DRV:1,0,999,0,"HD-DVD-ROM ELBY CLONEDRIVE 1.4","","J:"

DRV:2,256,999,0,"","",""
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It shows my E: drive is makeMKV disc 0 and the J: drive is disc 1.

IMO, specifying the actual drive letter with "dev:" is a simpler, more direct way and less prone to errors.

T

Last edited:
Oh yeah that's right I forgot we found that. Very nice. That'll be easier for sure. The reason I didn't switch my own scripts to using it is the dev command doesn't work for everything. But it'll work for this.

Oh yeah that's right I forgot we found that. Very nice. That'll be easier for sure. The reason I didn't switch my own scripts to using it is the dev command doesn't work for everything. But it'll work for this.

The only command I found you can't use dev: for is the "decrypt" command (used when you want to kick off a makeMKV full backup in a script).

I don't use that one very often, but for when I do, I wrote a short script routine to dynamically determine the makeMKV disc number on-the-spot given the drive letter.

Why did I have to do that instead of just hard-coding the disc number?

For one reason, I have multiple drives on the computer and could be using any one or all of them.

But more importantly, I use portable optical drives sometimes and add and remove them from the computer on a regular basis...

What I found was makeMKV will reassign drive numbers when that happens, and it's drive number for a specific drive can change completely!!

So if I have to use the "decrypt" command, I first execute the routine to find out what's "today's makeMKV disc number assignment" for drive such-and-such and let it plug that in.

But, yeah, for the other commands "dev:" works fine.

T

@agogley
Afaik this script starts automatically MakeMKV using the disc:0 setting (probably meaning when only one UHD/BD disc is inserted in one optical drive, to use disc from 1st detected optical drive drive, sorted by Operating system and/or with lowest assigned drive letter, compared to the ohter optical drives if there were more).
[Edit maybe this is not correct
--
Just played around a bit and tried following:

[Unbenannt4.PNG
Unbenannt5.PNG
Unbenannt6.PNG

View attachment 52221 Unbenannt11.PNG
Unbenannt12.PNG
Unbenannt13.PNG
----
Unbenannt8.PNG
If you have different drive letters for ODD, and different named folder and/or other drive letter name for ImgBurn and MakeMkV, just adapt the sample script from SamurilH a little bit.

Eg. Ive installed MakeMKV currently to directory:
D:\Apps\Tools\MakeMKV\1.15.1\
So adapting it in script accordingly, as with the drive-letter in-front of
, see screenshot

And I've installed ImgBurn currently to directory:
D:\Apps\Tools\ImgBurn\2.5.8.0
So adapting it in script as well, as with the drive-letter in-front of, see screenshot

(I've renamed bat-script to *.bat.txt temporarily so that I can edit it (Windows doesn't offer any "Open with- option at least here on Win 8.1)"
after finished editing renaming back to *.bat

And, if you want to change destination directory or out-file, where protected iso will get stored, just change it accordingly as you want.
--
This is just an example. Just check in which drive letter and directory you have installed ImgBurn and MakeMKV and adapt it in the bat-file, as you would have.
--
The issue with my directories is, that Iam not using standard-paths, so when I reinstall programm e.g. to differing location, I'll have to readapt it in the txt .bat -file.
View attachment 52216
Unbenannt9.PNG
Unbenannt10.PNG
---
That the script can work, of course you have to connect external ODD to computer while using it.

And of course needs MakeMKV and ImgBurn have to be installed.

---
Here it says I cannot run the .bat, trying to open it via Windows-(File)-Explorer.
I probably have to run it in a command cmd/Eingabebeaufforderung-prompt (via cmd.exe):

--
@agogley,
Ton run the .bat file, and if it's not working with Windows-Eplorer for for you, you can run the script like this

(This is just an example with the drive letter and named direcotries):
"Workaround_AnyDVD_ripping_unsupported-Disc_and-or_official-drive_-MakeMKV+libredrive_-Rip_to_protected_ISO.bat" is stored in
"E:\kit\Tools\AnyDVD,Redfox,Elby".
So in cmd-box, I type in (when in cmd at different drive letter present-working directory currently: e.g. cmd standardly calls up directory C:\Windows\System32)
to change in cmd to E:
Code:
E:\

Then I go to:
cd E:\kit\Tools\AnyDVD,Redfox,Elby

And if long directory and special characters used, just use a " ",
before and behind the path:
cd "E:\kit\Tools\AnyDVD,Redfox,Elby"

or all this via this shorter command
Code:
cd /d  "E:\kit\Tools\AnyDVD,Redfox,Elby"

This is just an example with the drive letter and named direcotries, and how i named the .bat file:
(sry I used long file name, for very small display, below scrolling to right required, to see full example)
Then I run the script in the cmd:
Code:
.\Workaround_AnyDVD_ripping_unsupported-Disc_and-or_official-drive_-MakeMKV+libredrive_-Rip_to_protected_ISO.bat

Last edited:
Hey theosch!

That's quite an explanation!

A few quick comments:

Afaik this script starts automatically MakeMKV using the disc:0 setting

disc: is used to indicate makeMKV's internal disc number for your drive, if you know it.

As I mentioned earlier, you're much better off using the dev: parameter here instead, followed by your drive designation as <letter>:, e.g. "F:".

Then you don't have to worry about disc number and whether you've got the right one listed.

(I've renamed bat-script to *.bat.txt temporarily so that I can edit it (Windows doesn't offer any "Open with- option at least here on Win 8.1)"
after finished editing renaming back to *.bat

To edit a .bat file, right-click on it in Windows and select "Edit". That will open it up in an editor.

DO NOT select "Open", because that will execute it instead of edit .

DO NOT double-click it because ofc, that executes it as well.

And of course needs MakeMKV and ImgBurn have to be installed.

Yes, exactly.

Here it says I cannot run the .bat, trying to open it via Windows-(File)-Explorer.
I probably have to run it in a command cmd/Eingabebeaufforderung-prompt (via cmd.exe):

You should be able to run it in the command line or double-click the .bat file in Windows Explorer.

T

Yep, it is much to more to learn and to show for people with less doing all that stuff, and I know, I'm not always good at trying to explain, just practicing writing guide! :whistle: :)

disc: is used to indicate makeMKV's internal disc number for your drive, if you know it.
Well yes, found it out myself before you mentioned!

And I used disc ID, from AnyDVD-Status-ziplog, so why is that MakeMKV-specific,? Ifthe script starts withoutn error messages, running Imgburn etc, by declaring the ID after disc: from AnyDVD-ziplog??

@I hope I could answer your question a bit, how to use the disc: -parameter, and how to adapt the bat-script if ImgBurn and MakeMKV installed to different directory, and/or when destination directory, and/or source-drive letter differs.
--
As testiles just enlightended me, it is more reliable with the dev-parameter, with more UHD drives and MakeMKV-hardware-numbering.
--

Last edited:
You can also use this:

makemkvcon64 f --list

This will list all the drives MakeMKV sees. E.G.

Found 3 drives(s)

00: \Device\CdRom0, \Device\CdRom0, F:
ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_211901041014_xxx

01: \Device\CdRom1, \Device\CdRom1, G:
HL-DT-ST_BD-RE__WH16NS60_1.00_211704251756_xxx

02: \Device\CdRom2, \Device\CdRom2, H:
ELBY_CLONEDRIVE_1.4

The number in the front of that corresponds to the disc:xx command.

And I used disc ID, from AnyDVD-Status-ziplog, so why is that MakeMKV-specific,? Ifthe script starts withoutn error messages, running Imgburn etc, by declaring the ID after disc: from AnyDVD-ziplog??

I just read through your long post and noticed you are doing this. What the??????? WHY would you be trying to take something out of the AnyDVD log file and using that with MakeMKV???????? That makes absolutely no sense. The OPD is just an identifier that RedFox uses to identify a disc. I've no idea why you would be trying to use that with the makemkvcon64 disc command. By giving an invalid ID I can only assume it decides to default to 0 but I've no idea. In any case, don't do that. Use what I showed above to find the proper disc ID for your drive.

You can also use this:

makemkvcon64 f --list

This will list all the drives MakeMKV sees. E.G.

Found 3 drives(s)

00: \Device\CdRom0, \Device\CdRom0, F:
ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_211901041014_xxx

01: \Device\CdRom1, \Device\CdRom1, G:
HL-DT-ST_BD-RE__WH16NS60_1.00_211704251756_xxx

02: \Device\CdRom2, \Device\CdRom2, H:
ELBY_CLONEDRIVE_1.4

The number in the front of that corresponds to the disc:xx command.

Right, another command to show makeMKV disc drive numbers.

But @theosch keep in mind those number assignment are not set in stone.

If you add or remove drives, even virtual drives, it can change the drive assignments.

Which is why disc number is unreliable to some extent unless you check it regularly.

But you can't go wrong with giving the device's drive letter.

... just practicing writing guide! :whistle:

Ok, cool!!

And I used disc ID, from AnyDVD-Status-ziplog, so why is that MakeMKV-specific,? Ifthe script starts withoutn error messages...

The disc: parameter is definitely not for OPD ID's, which makeMKV knows nothing about.

I don't know why you didn't get an error if you used that, but maybe the makeMKV step didn't execute properly and just didn't complain about it. :=(

The result would be you have your .iso in the end, but it's unplayable.

T

I'm not sure myself.
---
Only) The latter command i n the scipt was correct (as source -drive /SRC G: was my ODD with the inserted disc) , so ImgBurn could execute, but Makemkv was not really running (so not removing any Bus encryption (if disc has), which wopuld make ISO unusable (broken iso)

ImgBurn.exe /MODE READ /SRC G: /DEST E:\temp\ISO\[DISC_LABEL].ISO /START /CLOSESUCCESS
I did this the first time (frankly I still haven't ripped any UHD yet)
--
I just looked in the help command, if maybe to find out, what disc: does for
disc:<DiscId> - open disc with id <DiscId> (see list Command)
In AnyDVD-status

But I din't use any list-command to look further what was for.
--
I just confused, that dev-parameter was for declaring drive-letter, and concluded disc: would be for the inserted BD/UHD-Disc, and some other paramter and/or combination with the "dev " for the optical drive.

I tried "makemkvcon64.exe info disc:0" at first, but it gave me an error, same with
"makemkvcon64.exe info disc:1"
(I had two ODDs connected, but forgot I've also a few virtual drives, so maybe higher number to test etc.)
with "makemkvcon64.exe info disc:BD_eb9489954503 started ImgBurn
(maybe coicidence that appeared to "work§, or just went to default device/drive letter, so command most probably wrong as you assured me)
Only) The latter command i n the scipt was correct (as source -drive /SRC G: was my ODD with the inserted disc) , so ImgBurn could execute, but Makemkv was not really running (so not removing any Bus encryption (if disc has), which wopuld make ISO unusable (broken iso)
--
But as I can see now from new screenshot,and NOT with the "OPD ID" I used, with SamurilH's proper command "makemkvcon64.exe info disc:01" (here assigned mkv-number "01" for BH16NS55), makemkv is running with much more log-mesesages in the cmd-window.
See screenshot.

---

OK. Thx for sharing the correct command, I would not have found it out:
Unbenannt2.PNG
Unbenannt14.PNG
Unbenannt15.PNG
Unbenannt17.PNG

Last edited:
I just looked in the help command, if maybe to find out, what disc: does for
disc:<DiscId> - open disc with id <DiscId>

Yes, but DiscId here doesn't mean the AnyDVD disc identifier.

Two different software programs :=).

It means the makeMKV Disc Id or disc number.

just confused, that dev-parameter was for declaring drive-letter, and concluded disc: would be for the inserted BD/UHD-Disc, and some other paramter and/or combination with the "dev " for the optical drive.

No, you use either "disc:" or "dev:" not both.

Either one or the other.

One tells makeMKV what drive to read by giving it it's own internal number for the drive.

The other tells makeMKV what drive by giving the letter of the drive in your system.

makemkvcon64.exe info disc:BD_eb9489954503 started ImgBurn

The makeMKV step may not have executed at all.

I've had runs where the makeMKV step had a problem when first writing my scripts. And yeah, the ImgBurn still takes off.

It doesn't know anything about what makeMKV is doing.

Unless, you really lucked up and some default setting happened to pick the right makeMKV disc number, running like that will get you a non-functioning .iso every time! :=)

T

Correct. Because if LibreDrive doesn't get enabled on the drive (and it's ONLY enabled until the disc is ejected or the drive is power cycled) then bus encryption doesn't get disabled and the ISO that ImgBurn produces can't be used. Ever. When messing with magic, know what you're messing with. :D The script I wrote works because it does things in a specific order and is very intentional. Testiles modified my script to use the DEV: identifier for the drives for the reason he mentioned. And that works fine. But any modifications to the script has to be very intentional or it won't work and you won't know it didn't work until you try to decrypt the ISO and it fails.

Yes, but DiscId here doesn't mean the AnyDVD disc identifier.

Two different software programs :=).

It means the makeMKV Disc Id or disc number.

A bit irretating name they chose, in my opionion rather would fit to disc-id of inserted disc, but glad to understand, with help,...info disc: appears to me for declaring the Optical-dics-drive-number assigned by MakeMKV..

Thanks for letting me know. Otherwise I'd "look a proper charlie" later :)

Last edited:
I just looked it up in dictionary.

https://www.dict.cc/?s=dumm+aus+der+wäsche+kucken
https://www.dict.cc/?s=to+look+a+proper+charlie

synonym: being surprised, without knowing what's going on.
---
With help of father, he showed me another script, so that I don't need to go extra to a command prompt,also for finding out the correct drive.

1._-Workaround_AnyDVD_ripping_unsupported-BD-UHD-Disc_and-or_official-drive_-MakeMKV+libredrive_-Rip_to_protected_ISO_-makemkvcon64 f --list.bat

Code:
@echo on
cd /d "C:\program files (x86)\MakeMKV\"

makemkvcon64.exe f --list

timeout /T 60
---
Later did another small mistake in the "2._-Workaround_AnyDVD_ripping_unsupported-BD-UHD-Disc_and-or_official-drive_-MakeMKV+libredrive_-Rip_to_protected_ISO.bat"

I used parameter /SRC G:
Though my Bh16NS55 had assigned drive letter P:
"/SRC P: ..." would be correct for me.

Fat marked (wrong) Interestingly it still appeared to work with /SRC G: for me
@Echo off
cd /d "D:\Apps\Tools\MakeMKV\1.15.1\"
makemkvcon64.exe info disc:01
cd /d "D:\Apps\Tools\ImgBurn\2.5.8.0"
ImgBurn.exe /MODE READ /SRC G: /DEST E:\temp\ISO\[DISC_LABEL].ISO /START /CLOSESUCCESS
--
Actually that was entirely correct in my situation (in ImgBurn-window ripping the disc, via the .bat file, where I still had wrong /SRC G: ,it still starts reading the disc still using P:)
@Echo off
cd /d "D:\Apps\Tools\MakeMKV\1.15.1\"
makemkvcon64.exe info disc:01
cd /d "D:\Apps\Tools\ImgBurn\2.5.8.0"
ImgBurn.exe /MODE READ /SRC P: /DEST E:\temp\ISO\[DISC_LABEL].ISO /START /CLOSESUCCESS
--
makemkvcon64.exe f --list
01: \Device\CdRom1, \Device\CdRom1, P:
HL-DT-ST_BD-RE__BH16NS55_1.04_21YYYYYYYYYY_SIXXXXXXXX
Unbenannt17.PNG

Maybe it still worked, because of the command "makemkvcon64.exe info disc:01" in the .bat file (here disc:01 for my BH16NS55) made ImgBurn still help/find/use the correct letter P: of the source-drive somehow.

Last edited:
Back