• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD wont decrypt any of my UHDs but other software will?

agogley

So I just bought a new UHD drive (Archgon MD-8107S-U3YC-UHD) and flashed the drive to make it "UHD friendly" (using DE_LG_BU40N_1.00 from this thread. So far so good. I booted up AnyDVD and upgraded it to current version. It wouldn't decrypt the disk and kept giving me error. So I ran the parser and the title said it was supported. So then I tried two other discs. Same problem.

So I decided to see if I could run MakeMKV. It successfully saved the UHD to MKV. I played the MKV for a few minutes and it seems to work fine. I also downloaded DVDFab Player 6. It plays the UHD directly from the disc no problem. It seems to be strictly AnyDvd that's having the issue.

I can't figure out why AnyDVD will not decrypt the disc. I tried cleaning the disc with soapy water and a microfiber lens cloth (I read some threads about an oily substance interfering with reading the disc). No luck. I tried upgrading AnyDVD to the newest beta version. No luck there either.

Suggestions?

The error message from the information tab is listed below and I'm uploading the ziplog file.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD HD 8.4.9.1, BDPHash.bin 20-03-11)
HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N 1.00
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current profile: BD-ROM
Media is a Blu-ray disc.
Total size: 28736736 sectors (56126 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: SOLO_A_STAR_WARS_STORY
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 61
Drive supports bus encryption!
Disc wants bus encryption!
couldn't retrieve AGID (bus encryption)!
ERROR processing Blu-ray disc!​

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.9.1_Info_E_SOLO_A_STAR_WARS_STORY.ziplog
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
So I ran the parser and the title said it was supported.

Here's what the Parser from the Un-supported UHD thread says when run on this logfile...

"ERROR: bus encryption failure. Check that drive is supported : HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N 1.00"

It can't get far enough to determine if your title is supported or not.

Seems the firmware is not working with AnyDVD (for UHDs), as you suspected.

Someone more knowledgeable on this can maybe tell you why...

T

The BU40 isn't friendly (modified firmware or not probably). That's an official uhd drive. The last friendly model was the BU30

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Correct. And do not even consider trying to cross flash that drive or you will likely brick it. At some future point there may be a work around to make it work in anydvd. For now, however, it will not.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's not what he did. He flashed some random drive WITH BU40N firmware to make it friendly. Which obviously won't work done the BU40 isn't friendly to begin with

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

No sorry. That's not some random drive. It's a rebadged bu40n.

Correct. And do not even consider trying to cross flash that drive or you will likely brick it. At some future point there may be a work around to make it work in anydvd. For now, however, it will not.

Question I have, is why not? Others have it figured out. I mean MakeMKV and DVDFab work fine.

It is NOT a friendly drive. It is an official drive. They are not the same thing. Just because it works as a LibreDrive or works in DVDFab does not make it UHD friendly. AnyDVD does not work with official drives.

It is NOT a friendly drive. It is an official drive. They are not the same thing. Just because it works as a LibreDrive or works in DVDFab does not make it UHD friendly. AnyDVD does not work with official drives.

So let me see if I understand this correctly.

"UHD Official" means this is an actual UHD Blu Ray drive and will play back 4K UHD blu rays with PowerDVD Ultra if all hardware requirements are met by your PC. The LG BU40 is one of these drives. My drive is a rebadged BU40. "UHD Friendly" means BDXL blu-ray drive with custom firmware to support 4k UDH blu-ray backup. So after flashing the drive with a custom firmware (in this case downgrading the firmware to a prior version) should make the official drive a friendly drive. So, Official/Friendly means UHD blu ray drive loaded with the firmware to enable 4K UHD blu ray backup.

So you're saying that AnyDVD will not work with any official drives even after they've been flashed to a friendly firmware.

If that's true, that sucks. Other solutions are actually recommending this drive and suggesting this course of action. I hate to see AnyDvd fall behind given my investment. But oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks for the help.

Your comment of "downgrading should make it a friendly drive" is incorrect. Downgrading it still leaves it as an official drive... Just with a firmware that can be exploited by other software. The uhd support in anydvd is experimental. It will work with friendly drives because they are not using an aacs 2 cert. It will not work with official drives because they do. In the future anydvd may get a workaround to work with these drives but that is not something to count on. Personally I have a script that enables LibreDrive on my ns60 and then creates a protected iso with imgburn. The iso can be mounted with virtual clonedrive and used with anydvd.

So you're saying that AnyDVD will not work with any official drives even after they've been flashed to a friendly firmware.

AnyDVD will work with an official drive if flashed with the proper firmware to make it friendly.

I have an LG NS60 which is official and I flashed it to NS40 which is friendly -- and it works perfectly.

I think the issue you're having is what you've flashed your drive to (BU40), is not considered friendly by AnyDVD but is instead still considered official.

Maybe it will work if flashed to BU30 (if available), which Ch3vr0n indicated was the last friendly BU model.

T

Whatever you do, do not cross-flash a bu40n to a bu30!!!

The Archgon you have is a Bu40n and unless anyDVD comes up with a way to use official drives, it will never work with anyDVD.

There is no friendly firmware that this drive can be flashed to, so basically, if you want to use anyDVD get another drive.

I thought I already said do not even think about cross flashing this drive? Sigh. This isn't a desktop drive. Marty is correct and an expert on this drive as he sells lots of them.

The Archgon you have is a Bu40n and unless anyDVD comes up with a way to use official drives, it will never work with anyDVD.

There is no friendly firmware that this drive can be flashed to, so basically, if you want to use anyDVD get another drive.

Ah, I see.

I didn't realize.

Good to know, Marty.

Sorry then, @agogley, seems flashing to BU30 was a bad suggestion.

Was just trying to think of some way you could maybe get things working.

But that was not a valid way :=( ...

I thought I already said do not even think about cross flashing this drive?

You did, you did.

And I forgot.

Again, my bad.

T

No worries. Just don't want someone to brick a really good drive. The bu40n is probably THE best UHD drive going right now. Yes, it's not awesome that AnyDVD can't use it at the moment.

Your comment of "downgrading should make it a friendly drive" is incorrect. Downgrading it still leaves it as an official drive... Just with a firmware that can be exploited by other software. The uhd support in anydvd is experimental. It will work with friendly drives because they are not using an aacs 2 cert. It will not work with official drives because they do. In the future anydvd may get a workaround to work with these drives but that is not something to count on. Personally I have a script that enables LibreDrive on my ns60 and then creates a protected iso with imgburn. The iso can be mounted with virtual clonedrive and used with anydvd.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. You've increased my knowledge on this topic.

Hopefully AnyDVD will find a way to make this work in the future. I keep most of my movies in MKV now so I can get by with the other solutions for now. And the drive I have is a really nice external drive that wasn't very expensive.

Last edited:

Thanks Marty. I bought this drive after seeing your post about it on another forum. Flashing per your instructions worked perfectly but obviously I didn't know it wasn't compatible with anydvd. That's not awesome as Samurai pointed out but it still working for me with other solutions. I pulled out three titles I purchased with the UHD discs (I always purchase the combo which includes 4K +BD+Digital) and each was successful using other solutions (I tried two different ones after AnyDvd failed).

Back