• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Unable to evaluate AnyDVD - doesnt give me trial key

Kvickis

I have downloaded AnyDVD HD 8.4.9.0 and wish to evaluate it before I buy a licence key. In order to run the "demo", I need a trial key. So I request a trial key when the software starts. After some time an error pops up with the error message "Http error 12029". I click OK and get another error message saying that a trial key could not be provided. I am connected to the Internet (I am writing this, which should be proof of that).

How do I procede to evaluate this software?

I have downloaded AnyDVD HD 8.4.9.0 and wish to evaluate it before I buy a licence key. In order to run the "demo", I need a trial key. So I request a trial key when the software starts. After some time an error pops up with the error message "Http error 12029". I click OK and get another error message saying that a trial key could not be provided. I am connected to the Internet (I am writing this, which should be proof of that).

How do I procede to evaluate this software?
I believe something (anti virus? firewall?) is blocking AnyDVD from accessing the internet.

What port number is AnyDVD using in order to get its key? I don´t normally have any problems with antivirus or firewall blocking anything, but it is of course entirely unlikely (depending on which port number is used). So how do you propose I procede? I can´t just turn off antivirus and the firewall, that would put everything at a tremendous risk. What I can do is to open a specific port to let it communicate with the computer running AnyDVD.

What I can do is to open a specific port to let it communicate with the computer running AnyDVD.
AnyDVD just uses normal HTTP or HTTPS (port 80 or 443).
Regarding the risk of turning off your firewall: if you're sitting behind a router with NAT, which you probably are, then there's usually not much a firewall on your local PC can add, security-wise.
The only safety that firewall can bring you, is to stop malicious software that is already sitting on your PC from phoning home.

The firewall on your router is not blocking AnyDVD.

Now I´m confused. My PC, which is running Windows 10, only has Windows built-in virus protection. It´s not running a separate firewall. The only firewall is the one in the router. Having said that, the router routes all port 80 and 443 traffic to my NAS that contains my web-site. So if AnyDVD relies on getting a reply back on those ports, it will end up as a packet addressed to the NAS. This is not normally how client software works. Normally they would allocate a dynamic port (a high port-number) and wait for a reply on that port. Dynamic port numbers are let-through by the router. So if what you are saying is true, AnyDVD would only work in circumstances where port 80 and 443 are not redirected by the router. Which would mean it cannot ever work for me. Is this really the case???

Now I´m confused. My PC, which is running Windows 10, only has Windows built-in virus protection. It´s not running a separate firewall. The only firewall is the one in the router. Having said that, the router routes all port 80 and 443 traffic to my NAS that contains my web-site. So if AnyDVD relies on getting a reply back on those ports, it will end up as a packet addressed to the NAS. This is not normally how client software works. Normally they would allocate a dynamic port (a high port-number) and wait for a reply on that port. Dynamic port numbers are let-through by the router. So if what you are saying is true, AnyDVD would only work in circumstances where port 80 and 443 are not redirected by the router. Which would mean it cannot ever work for me. Is this really the case???

Not sure if you figured this out or not, but it is possible Windows Firewall (if it is running) is blocking it? Or are you using any antivirus software other than Windows Defender by any chance? For example, I know I had issue with Bit Defender with several things be cause it has a firewall embedded in it as well.

If you are using the Windows Defender built in Antivirus etc, it is possible it is being blocked by something like App & Browser control.. if you go into your settings and go to Updates & Security- Windows Security - App & Browser Control then click "Reputation-based protection settings" and then under "Potentially unwanted app blocking" click "Protection history" and see if anything has been blocked that pertains to your issue. DISCLAIMER: It could honestly be under any of that stuff in the Windows security or none.. not that familiar with it, just poke around in there, that is what I do. If I had to guess though, I would say it is probably Windows Firewall or a 3rd party Antivirus that is the culprit (if you are running one that is). Hope this is helpful at least a bit if you are still having your issue!

You're definitely confused. That's not how sockets work. Your router is sending traffic coming to YOU on ports 80 and 443 to your NAS. That's not the same as software on your PC sending to the same port on another system (e.g., Red Fox's server). If that were true, you couldn't even browse the internet on your home network. Just because software contacts another system on a given port (in this case 80), does NOT mean it's using the same port number locally. The two are not related. When client-side software creates a TCP socket and opens a connect, typically its don't bind to a specific port (you can, but you usually don't). It lets the system pick on unused port because (other than having to be unique), it's irrelevant. It's the server port that is important, which is again, on another system. When that server responses back to you, it's responding to the client's port, NOT the servers port.

The other posters are most likely correct, either Window's firewall or antivirus is blocking the connection.

DrX

OK, thanks for the clarifications. Meanwhile, I found a different way to rip the DVDs so I am no longer interested in this piece of software. Again, a big THANK YOU for taking your time to explain this.

Kvickis

OK, thanks for the clarifications. Meanwhile, I found a different way to rip the DVDs so I am no longer interested in this piece of software. Again, a big THANK YOU for taking your time to explain this.

Kvickis
You miss a lot of beauty.

Back