• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Movie Ripping Method

DarthWind

Hey everyone! I have been doing a ton of research and trying to understand movie encryption standards with CSS, AACS 1.0,2.0, and 2.1 and the different programs to break them. I have a small collection of about 200 DVD/BluRay/4k BluRay (I guess everyone refers to these as UHD?) discs that I want to make a digital backup of. Some of these discs have signs of wear and tear (scratches) so getting these backed up digitally I thought would be good for the future.

I have read a lot about different programs and it seems AnyDVD HD is considered the best in the game. I also see MakeMKV has a ton of info in their forums as well, like about BluRay drives. I took some of the MakeMKV forum's advice and bought an LG WH16NS60. After ordering it I got excited about unlocking the read speed of the drive via LibreDrive (see https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22221&sid=0392185ffe6069b48fb94e422df4598a) and hurriedly flashed 1.02MK firmware using the patched LG flasher. It worked successfully.

I then downloaded AnyDVD HD and started the trial. I saw the two options for ripping to image and to folder. I have tried both and folder does produce a smaller overall size, however having I would prefer to use the image option. I started ripping the discs to image files and did encounter one disc that could not be decrypted fully because region was not set, so I set the drive to the US.

With all that backstory, I am turning to you guys for advice. My goals are to produce original quality backups of my media. I am thinking these backups should be unencrypted? I also would like to remux these into an MKV using MakeMKV to have the main film in one file as I am looking into using Plex and streaming from my PC to Apple TV.

In addition to the random questions above, specifically:

1. For each DVD/BluRay/UHD what is the best method to backup these discs and keep the original quality?

2. What are the advantages of each Image vs. Folder backup?

3. Why is using Image backup bad on DVDs?

4. What is the difference in creating a protected vs. unprotected backup for later use? (Because AnyDVD HD/MakeMKV can deal with the encryption anyway)

5. Is there a better way I should be ripping these to ISO? (I saw a post describing ImgBurn)

6. Is flashing the 1.02MK firmware going to be a problem with AnyDVD HD?

7. Is there any way to get the features of LibreDrive while also using AnyDVD HD? (specifically the faster drive speeds)

8. I ripped a DVD to an image file and then loaded it into MakeMKV. I then started another instance of MakeMKV and loaded the disc directly after closing AnyDVD. The results were identical?

Thank you! And awesome job creating such an easy to use program!

I can't answer all of that at the moment but the first thing I want to mention is that at the moment your ns60 official drive is not supported in anydvd for uhd. That could change at some point in the future but as it stands today it won't work for uhd. There is a work around I'll discuss in a minute.

As for the protected vs unprotected iso image question, it all depends on how you're planning on using those images. As you rightly stated, anydvd and makemkv can handle removing encryption from a protected iso. So if you plan on using them strictly on a pc, a protected iso is the way to go. If you plan on burning them to a backup, obviously the protection must be removed first. But again that can be done in real time with anydvd on the protected iso.

I mentioned a work around for utilizing your ns60 for uhd. What i do with mine is that I wrote a script that utilizes libredrive and imgburn to create my protected iso. Basically you use the makemkvcon64 command line utility to scan the disc which enables libredrive. Once enabled, you then use imgburn to read to iso. This works because libredrive disables the bus encryption on the drive until you eject the disc. Once the iso is created you can then use that protected iso with anydvd. Hell I even mount them over my gigabit network on my laptop with no physical drives using virtual clonedrive so that I can create mkv using clonebd. Which is free for creating uncompressed mkv btw. And works very well for truehd and atmos discs in mkv containers.

Currently anydvd can not take advantage of libredrive. But that may change soon. I don't have more to say on that at this time but just keep an eye out to see if anything changes there in the future.

Hope this helps even though it didn't answer all of your questions.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

With all that backstory, I am turning to you guys for advice.

Wow, DarthWind that's a LOT :)

You could almost make a separate thread on each of those questions. In fact, many have in the past.

Just briefly...

1. For each DVD/BluRay/UHD what is the best method to backup these discs and keep the original quality?

You're liable to get a lot of discussion on that.

My personal preference is .iso's because I want what's closest to the original disc.

Others swear by .mkv, which are good if you want to use less space and are not concerned with Menus. Also, .mkv's are used a lot for streaming.

2. What are the advantages of each Image vs. Folder backup?

I'm not sure there's any difference in quality, but one major difference is you can continue to tweak AnyDVD settings with Images and they will have an affect.

AnyDVD settings don't affect folders.

4. What is the difference in creating a protected vs. unprotected backup for later use?

In addition to what SamuriHL said, I always make an unprotected .iso for my UHD's. Since AnyDVD UHD decryption requires the Internet, my unprotected copies will work if I lose my Internet connection (they're already decrypted).

5. Is there a better way I should be ripping these to ISO? (I saw a post describing ImgBurn)

I've ripped with both AnyDVD Rip-To-Image and ImgBurn. I see no difference.

Hope this can get you started.

T

I'm not sure there's any difference in quality, but one major difference is you can continue to tweak AnyDVD settings with Images and they will have an affect.

AnyDVD settings don't affect folders.

There is NO difference in quality between folder backup and ISO, but, there is a potential for a folder to take up more space than an ISO due to how the data can be stored in the ISO. For a folder backup, it would be expanded and potentially take up a lot more space. This isn't always true, it depends on the type of disc, but, it's something to be aware of.

Not being able to use AnyDVD settings on folders is absolutely true. Additionally, a difference between unprotected and protected ISOs is also the ability to apply AnyDVD settings in real time on a mounted protected ISO. Whatever settings you have when you make an unprotected ISO is what you end up with in the unprotected ISO and can't be changed.

Last edited:
3. Why is using Image backup bad on DVDs?

This has to do with structural protections that are used on some DVD's. If you want to make DVD ISO backups, it's HIGHLY recommended to get CloneDVD and use it in conjunction with AnyDVD. Alternatively, you could rip to folder and then use something like ImgBurn to create an ISO from the folder backup. CloneDVD is easier since it does it all for you in an easy to use program.

...there is a potential for a folder to take up more space than an ISO due to how the data can be stored in the ISO. For a folder backup, it would be expanded and potentially take up a lot more space. This isn't always true, it depends on the type of disc, but, it's something to be aware of.

Good point.

This especially applies to 3D Blu-Ray.

Whatever settings you have when you make an unprotected ISO is what you end up with and can't be changed.

That's true, for the most part.

You can't use AnyDVD settings to un-do a setting you made while creating the unprotected image, but some settings can be "increased".

For an example, if you made the unprotected .iso with "Remove video sequences shorter than" set to 1 minute, you can't play the .iso and turn that setting off, or change it to, say, "shorter than" 30 seconds (and get 1-minute clips again).

But you can increase it beyond 1 minute, if needed, and it will take effect...

T

Ripping Method
I always rip DVD's with AnyDVD. I process with clonedvd, and, if necessary, with VOBblanker (to remove some of the nefarious stuff that Clone DVD can not handle, like in the title set menus). I use mplayer as a test. I do not use compression (the 'transcoder' option) with Clone DVD, so the result is true to the original. I use imgburn to save as an .ISO which I can play back on my OPPO93's at a later time. I believe BluRays are 1:1 ISO image.

My 2 cents worth on folder versus iso. If you are ripping to a hard drive, I am pretty sure you will get around to using a sever software, Plex, Kodi or some other server program. From my limited experience with server software, because I settled on Kodi over Plex. I can say that Kodi does not handle subtitles very well from iso images. Folders appear to be closer to a pure disc experience over iso's.

Folders appear to be closer to a pure disc experience over iso's.

.iso's are closest to the actual representation of a disc.

Now, how your playing software handles them is another matter.

But if your playing software can fully utilize an .iso, it will behave the closest to having the actual disc mounted in your computer.

As mentioned, they both have the same video and audio quality, provided your folder is a 1:1 reproduction and no compression is involved.

T

I would argue if you're storing them for some kind of server playback mkv is the way to go. All of my movies are stored on my nas in mkv and served through plex. And on the htpc I use jriver to build a library as well. That gives me the best of all worlds. I know some like testiles like to have menus and extras in their backups so iso works well for that. I just want the main movie unmolested from the original disc quality, so mkv works for me.

I would argue if you're storing them for some kind of server playback mkv is the way to go.

Not arguing with me I hope, because I agree. :=)

I was responding to bbell's statement that ripped folders are closer to a true disc experience than .iso's.

T

Not arguing with me I hope, because I agree. :=)

I was responding to bbell's statement that ripped folders are closer to a true disc experience than .iso's.

T
No not really arguing period just adding some options.

Thanks for all the input guys!

I think I have decided to go ahead and use the rip to image functionality to create ISOs of my media. It has worked successfully on the first 20 or so discs and MakeMKV (even though it throws an error) allows me to open the iso and rip all the different streams to MKVs. Then I can find the right one and save it. That way I will have an unprotected (or mostly unprotected in the case of DVDs) image of the disc and mkv of the main
movie. I will have to test CloneBD for creating MVKs as well. Some of my discs are scratched and I will have to spend some TLC on them to hopefully get them read successfully.
One last question, can I not mount the iso I created in virtual clone drive and then rip to folder if I need to in the future?

I think I have decided to go ahead and use the rip to image functionality to create ISOs of my media.

(y)

I will have to test CloneBD for creating MVKs as well.

Excellent product. Very easy to use.

Yes, definitely try it out.

Some of my discs are scratched and I will have to spend some TLC on them to hopefully get them read successfully.

Scratched discs can sometimes be very difficult to get to rip properly.

Good luck!

One last question, can I not mount the iso I created in virtual clone drive and then rip to folder if I need to in the future?

Yup.

You sure can.

Just point to the virtual drive with the iso mounted as your source.

Happy ripping!

T

Back