• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

upgrading old computer

sondeterra

Since some members of the forum seemquite knowledgable about building their own computers hope to pick their brains. I wish to install a new hard drive on my compaq Presario 5822 running Windows 98 SE, I have been looking at a Western Digital WD400BB and wonder if it is compatible used to be they listed the OS they'd work with but apparently don't anymore. any help?:bowdown:

Yes...... that HDD will be compatible. I would suggest looking at Seagate drives though..... excellent drives and 5 yr. warranty. For a very few dollars more, you can get an 80GB from NEWEGG

160 & 250GB drives are really the sweet spot for prices right now.

Since some members of the forum seemquite knowledgable about building their own computers hope to pick their brains. I wish to install a new hard drive on my compaq Presario 5822 running Windows 98 SE, I have been looking at a Western Digital WD400BB and wonder if it is compatible used to be they listed the OS they'd work with but apparently don't anymore. any help?:bowdown:
What size do you think you will need?

Tnx

Thanks to all respondents Had a Seagate 80gb which died, and according to most sites I would only be able to use upto 63gb total on current configuration. Have purchased the one I was looking at for under 40 dollars U/S.:bowdown::bowdown::clap:

Thanks to all respondents Had a Seagate 80gb which died, and according to most sites I would only be able to use upto 63gb total on current configuration. Have purchased the one I was looking at for under 40 dollars U/S.:bowdown::bowdown::clap:

You had an 80GB previously....no reason you couldn't have another or larger one. :confused:
Seems you were misinformed but no matter now that you already have the 40GB.

You had an 80GB previously....no reason you couldn't have another or larger one. :confused:
Seems you were misinformed but no matter now that you already have the 40GB.
40GB is terrible these days. I feel bad for the OP.

Keep in mind she is using an older model Compaq with 98SE. The BIOS on that MOBO would most likely have the 68GB limit.
40GB would be sufficient for many users that just e-mail and surf the web. I have some customers that are still using old PC's with 12 and 15 GB drives.:D

Indeed no doubt

Old Joe is correct the Bios on this old MOBO limit the usability of storage on Hard amd no I am a he not she haven/t been to Trinidad,Colorado.:D

I am a he not she haven/t been to Trinidad,Colorado.:D

I apologize for my assumption.:agree:
There might be a BIOS update to bypass the 68GB limit on your MOBO. You can go to the Compag(HP) site and put in the model number of your PC and get any updates that are available.

Western Digital has some boot sector overlay stuff that allows you to use a bigger drive on an older BIOS I had an 80g running in an old P1 a couple years ago.

I've got some real old dogs on my network still doing various little jobs.
My usual "recipe" for upgrading a really old machine for a "new life" is.

Bring the RAM up to at least 512 (1g prefered)
Stick a 20, 40, or 80g drive in it.
Do a format and clean install of XP-Pro, DirectX 9c, Media Player 10, Acrobat reader, and Office 2000 or later.
Replace the CD-Rom with a DVD-ROM - add Power DVD.
And if possible give it a GeForce 2 MX-400 (64mb) video card - and an SB Live 5.1
Using Ebay you can do all the hardware upgrades for under $100 usually.
If you wanna go all out, GEARXS sells 450w PowMax gamers cases for $45 on Ebay. And old clam of a machine
just looks like more in a new pretty case. :D

Then just run it LEAN - with minimal (or no) background craplets. 512 is plenty of XP RAM if you don't overdo it.
I can get it down to 19 processes or less after bootup easily.
Except for higher-end gaming.... you really can't tell the difference.
Even a lowly P2-400mhz configured as above can do stutter free DVD playback or YouTube stuff, I just did one up for a friend.

Other tips: If you're behind a good firewall and aren't too worried about high security, load XP SP1 because SP2 has a lot of bloat in it and slows down an older machine. And forget the 2 hours worth of updates. SP1 as installed is very stable right outta the box - at least the version I have is.

Then when it first boots after install I disable internet time (in the clock), automatic updates, and task scheduler. THEN I go into Administrative tools > Services, and set Automatic Updates, Task Sheduler, and Windows Time (synchs network time) all to MANUAL and stop the services. And reboot. Then comes all the drivers and programs and stuff.

-W

Last edited:
Can you warranty hardware that you purchase from ebay?
I've seen to many failed PowMax PSU's and they usually take the MOBO with them.
I have an old 5120 Compaq (PII-350MHz-15G HDD-256MB PC133) that I installed XP on. It woks fine for emailing and internet. I "can" burn DVD's but it takes about twice as long.:D:D

The stuff from GearrXS has some kind of warrenty. And so does PowMax. I've never had a problem with the PowMax power supplies - but I've never pushed them too hard either - so your mileage may vary.

As for the used stuff - It mostly *all* guaranteed agaist DOA when you get it. Again... my luck has been real good with drives, memory and stuff.

Most people who are skeptical of Ebay have never used it much, or to full advantage, or are just timid souls. I have nearly 1000 transactions as a buyer and a seller and 99.9% of them were flawless.

It's not the burning of DVD's that's so bad as using an old machine to transcode them. I've seen some take hours to shrink a DVD. Will the P2-350 do stutter free DVD playback?? - I know the 400 did - just wondering?

-W

Last edited:
My point about warranty was if "You" could warranty it to "your" customers.
I know I couldn't. I can buy auto parts at Auto Zone, and the other cut rate places, but I can't warranty them to my customers because of the high failure rate of their parts. Customers, that I deal with, don't like paying the labor to replace parts.

I'm not in the computer business. But I'd feel very comfortable giving a new-old-build 90 days - even with some Ebay parts. The risk vs. reward would be very easy to absorb given my cost to replace the unlikely defective part. Not only that.. but "electronic infant mortality" issues are moot for used parts. :D

And you didn't answer my question above yet... :D :D

-W

I do build and sell PC's so I have to use new (quality) parts for warranty purposes. I give a standard 3yr. warranty......parts and labor.
Sorry about not answering the question.......Yes it has and will do trouble free playback of DVD's.

Considering what you have for a MOBO, I would suggest if you get a larger drive to part it into same size part's.

But, if you live here in the USA, if you PM me with your addy I would be more then happy to send out a couple drves for free to you. I've got a Fujitsu 10 gig, a wd 10 gig, a wd 20 gig, and a damsung 120 gig. Take your pick. I also can send some PC133 ram, have 3 sticks of 128 meg and 1 stick of 256.

I don't deal in the older stuff anymore so its your for the asking.

I've done several systems of my own and am running a Duel 3.8 with 4 gig ram and 3 500gig drives ( run a server for websites ).

Anyway, if you want this stuff, just let me know.

Cheer's

Wolfy

Back