• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

LG refuses to repair my WH16NS40. What should I do next?

Big C

Back in February, my LG BE16NU50 quit reading 1080p and 4K/UHD BDs. I couldn't find another one. So I replaced it with an LG WH16NS40 SVC code NS50, ROM 1.03. I flashed it to 1.02. It has intermittent 4K/UHD BD read issues. It reads my 4K/UHD editions of "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Terminator 2" without a problem, just as well as my former BE16NU50. I purchased and returned 4K/UHD editions of "The Shining" and "The Last Jedi." After a few replacements, my new WH16NS40 finally read them. If this isn't confusing enough, I had no problem reading "Terminator Genesis" on my BE16NU50, but when I tried to load it in my new WH16NS40 a few days ago, it struggled. So as long as my new WH16NS40 is still under warranty, I told LG that my new WH16NS40 is having 4K/UHD BD read issues my BE16NU50 wasn't having. They told me it's a different drive and that it's software related. I tried crossflashing to various makes and models, such as the ASUS BW-16D1HT, ASUS BW-16D1HU, LG BH16NS40, LG BH16NS50, LG BH16NS55, LG BH16NS58, LG WH16NS40, LG WH16NS50, LG WH16NS55, and LG WH16NS58. I achieved similar results. When I crossflashed to the LG BH16NS60 and LG WH16NS60, my drive actually sounded like it was loading properly, but ANYDVDHD gave me a processing error because these last two firmwares are UHD official instead of UHD friendly. I would like to stick with ANYDVDHD so I can use the software I'm familiar with and just have decryption running in the background. What should I do next? Should I stick with ANYDVDHD and purchase either an ASUS BW-16D1HT, ASUS BW-16D1HU, ASUS BW-16D1X-U, LG BH16NS40, or try another LG WH16NS40? Or should I quit using ANYDVDHD, switch to MakeMKV, and either crossflash my drive to the LG WH16NS60 or purchase an LG WH16NS60? Although if Redfox can figure out how to get ANYDVDHD to work with UHD official drives, I could either crossflash my LG WH16NS40 to the LG WH16NS60, purchase a new LG WH16NS60, or best of all, use my Pioneer BDR-212UBK. Unlike my previous posts, I won't be posting this one in the MakeMKV forum because while that may be the home of the experts of these drives and firmwares for them, those same experts are also the developers of MakeMKV. So I have no doubt what their answer would be.

Last edited:
Please be aware that your complaints to LG won't fly regarding UHDs. These "UHD friendly" drives have an unwanted backdoor by the drive manufacturer and were never intended to read UHDs.
I have two LG NS55 flashed to ASUS BW-16D1HT. One with 3.10MK for max. read speed and one with 3.02MK or DE for critical disc. 3.02 stays longer at lower read speeds. But I rarely use it.
Some users have one drive that is friendly like mine but in addition a BH16NS60 official drive. So they can use ANYDVD with the friendly drive and have even better / higher rip speed results using Makemkv with the official drive. If you don't have enough 5,25" bays in the PC you have to get an USB enclosure.

The Pioneer won't help you at all reading discs for backing up. However, it's one of the best writers if you want to burn backup discs.

You need an LG- hardware based drive for backup. I told you what I have. There are more substantiated recommendations by the sellers on Makemkv. Start here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22026

Please be aware that your complaints to LG won't fly regarding UHDs. These "UHD friendly" drives have an unwanted backdoor by the drive manufacturer and were never intended to read UHDs.
I have two LG NS55 flashed to ASUS BW-16D1HT. One with 3.10MK for max. read speed and one with 3.02MK or DE for critical disc. 3.02 stays longer at lower read speeds. But I rarely use it.
Some users have one drive that is friendly like mine but in addition a BH16NS60 official drive. So they can use ANYDVD with the friendly drive and have even better / higher rip speed results using Makemkv with the official drive. If you don't have enough 5,25" bays in the PC you have to get an USB enclosure.
My Pioneer BDR-212UBK is a solid, stable solution for ripping my DVDs and 1080p Blu-rays with ANYDVDHD. I need a solid, stable solution for ripping my 4K/UHD Blu-rays. According to reports here, the LG WH16NS40 is a successful, least expensive choice. But compared to my former LG BE16NU50, it has trouble with more of the 4K/UHD Blu-rays I throw at it. So if I can't find a new BE16NU50, should I stick with ANYDVDHD and purchase either an ASUS BW-16D1HT, ASUS BW-16D1HU, ASUS BW16-D1X-u, LG BH16NS40, or another LG WH16NS40? Or should I switch to MakeMKV and purchase an LG WH16NS60?

I think you have now abundant informatiom. Make your choice.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for what seemed like a double post yesterday. When I was replying, I quoted the wrong post. So I deleted my reply and then replied, quoting the correct post.

Before I part with another hundred dollars, I'd like to explore one more avenue, option, etc.. When crossflashing my WH16NS40 (the UHD friendly drive) to WH16NS60 firmware (the UHD official drive), it appeared as if/though the 4K/UHD BDs which were giving me issues loaded properly. But AnyDVDHD was giving me a processing error. I would assume this is because ANYDVDHD doesn't decrypt from UHD official drives. Before I try MakeMKV for ripping 4K/UHD BDs, is there any chance ANYDVDHD will decrypt from UHD official drives any time soon?

Back