• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD source for Linux?

simon_lefisch

So I know there is t any plan to release a Linux version of AnyDVD. However what about releasing the source code so it can be compiled on Linux distributions. Is there any way that can happen? Just curious if that’s even possible. If so, maybe a tutorial on how to compile for the different Linux distributions? I would gladly contribute monetarily for a Linux version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Releasing the source code is never going to happen.
Very simple economics 101.
Once the source is released, there is no way for Redfox team to know if anyone will compile it for windows, thus ending their business once the source is out.
Pure suicide if they did release it.

Yeah right, that's never going to happen. As said above, anyone could then "compile" anydvd potentially ruining the reputation of it and even worse tell movie studios EXACTLY how it works its magic, updating their protections so that it will NEVER work again. Ruining it's use for every single user in the process.

Yea I figured that would be the case. Had to ask. Still tho, would be really awesome if they released a Linux version, at least for the main distros maybe (ie; Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora/CentOS). Any reason why they don’t have a *nix version?

Not high enough user base to sell to works be one of them

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Same here

You can compile MakeMKV from source for Linux. What would be the difference? Genuinely curious.....

I’d also buy a Ubuntu license in a heartbeat. There are a couple things keeping me hanging onto Windows part time. AnyDVD is, unfortunately, one of them.

the Q is what is one trying to do with anydvd on linux

1) play movies? vlc + libmmbd (makemkv) does a pretty good job at that
2) rip to mkv - makemkv does a pretty good job at that
3) create ISOs without java protection - makemkv does a pretty good at that

the only thing that makemkv doesn't do that anydvd can is created decrypted ISOs that have java based protections removed. This is valuable (I depend on it), but its a minimally sized market and linux makes it even smaller

with that said, I did point the anydvd people in a direction that if they wanted to do it on linux they could without any kernel driver necessities. I'm just not convinced that its that valuable to them to build unless their developers wanted it for themselves on linux

Don't know if an AnyDVD kernel module would be possible. I will try a VM on on linux rig.

As I just said, you wouldn't need an anydvd kernel module on linux. Also AnyDVD runs fine in a windows VM on linux. though in practice you would need a usb bluray drive. while its possible to import a sata optical drive into the VM, you are going to end up having to jump through some hoops. a usb drive is a much easier solution.

the Q is what is one trying to do with anydvd on linux

1) play movies? vlc + libmmbd (makemkv) does a pretty good job at that
2) rip to mkv - makemkv does a pretty good job at that
3) create ISOs without java protection - makemkv does a pretty good at that

the only thing that makemkv doesn't do that anydvd can is created decrypted ISOs that have java based protections removed. This is valuable (I depend on it), but its a minimally sized market and linux makes it even smaller

This is a valid point. I find AnyDVD a much more elegant solution and would re-pay to have it on my Linux rig, but the other program does provide a lot of the same capability.

In particular, AnyDVD is the easiest way for me to determine the correct title some of the time and I haven’t found a good way to do that in Linux.

Back