• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Are there any standalone players that can play BD-RE-XL?

Olympic

If not, how does one go about playing backups of 4K movies outside of playing the file on a PC?

Thanks.

The Sony UBP-X700 will play BDXL-R disks providing that the content does not exceed ~66GB of data (i.e. data written only to the first 2 layers). Initially I burned an .iso image of Blade Runner 2049 4K (over 70GB) to a blank Verbatim BDXL-R disc but the X700 refused to read the disc. Recently, I read on another forum that only writing data to the first 2 layers will likely allow a UHD standalone blu-ray player to read these type of discs. Tried that theory by writing an iso image of Star Trek Into Darkness 4K (approx 60GB) to a Verbatim BDXL-R disc and can confirm that the Sony UBP-X700 will play this disc without any problems.

The old model Panasonic DMP-UB900 will read the full BD-RE XL disc with UHD movie.

If, you can find one out there....

I don't believe any of the newer model stand-alones will read up to the full 100G.

T

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Assets/Downloadablefile/White%20Paper%20BD-ROM_Part1_9th_20150806_clean.pdf 80
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Assets/Downloadablefile/White_Paper_General_4th_20150817_clean.pdf 59

4K UHD movies already are covered under the BDXL specifications.
33.4 GB per layer & most UHD movies fit in the 66Gb area but many UHD movies are actually sold on commercial BDXL media (Blade Runner 2049 for example is >70GB) & they play fine on UHD players.

I own the DMP-UB900 & have no issues but my friends do not & they can play my Blade Runner 2049 disc with no issues on their normal UHD standalone player & it is definitely a commercial BDXL disc. There are many UHD movies currently out that exceed the 66GB size & they play fine for most people. I have discovered that all the newer players that state they can play HDR10+ have the newer ROM firmware & have no issues playing any commercial movie >70GB.

... I have discovered that all the newer players that state they can play HDR10+ have the newer ROM firmware & have no issues playing any commercial movie >70GB.

Right but he's talking about home-made backups on blank BD-RE XL's.

Therein lies the difference.

Any UHD standalone will play any commercial UHD - or it wouldn't be worth it's salt.

But lately they've put restrictions on how and if they play media recorded on blanks.

For that, many won't play a BD-RE with over 66G recorded on it.

T

Right but he's talking about home-made backups on blank BD-RE XL's.
It depends on how many layers are used. It would be interesting if playback with all four layers used can be confirmed.
Some told of playback with up to three layers. We only talk about " burnt" media as far as I see.

It depends on how many layers are used. It would be interesting if playback with all four layers used can be confirmed.
Some told of playback with up to three layers. We only talk about " burnt" media as far as I see.

kufo, I'm pretty sure I've made a couple of UHD backups in the 90 G range.

Those would have to use pretty much the entire BD-RE XL!

They played fine on my UB900, but would probably have trouble on newer players.

I only say "pretty sure" because I remember burning those large-volume titles, but can't remember exactly which they were to verify right now.

T

They played fine on my UB900, but would probably have trouble on newer players.
That could be possible. Users often wrote about the excellent behavior in playback for this model. I'm actually with the Sony 700 and I can confirm that this one has problems with BDXL media.
May be that it all depends on the firmware but that's not the main thing in my opinion.

If you talk about the Sony, I can say that it is cheap and plays a lot of different media types.
SACD for example. Just now I can't tell you a media type that won't be played.
No trouble with RW media at all.
Some friends of mine bought this one too and they are happy with that.

Last edited:
I must say that all three Sony UBP players I know from my friends behave a bit different. Burning faster than 4x with BD DL results in shuttering while playback on two of them.
Burning 2x plays fine on all three. I used four different media codes from three different manufacturers - Three of them were cheap ones and had no issues while playback.

Last edited:
I know most of you are referring to burnt discs but you all need to re-read that first link I posted.
It has been out since 2015 when the alliance put out the LEGALLY required standards for ALL UHD players on the planet (otherwise the companies can't get their licenses). There are NO EXCEPTIONS.
ALL UHD players MUST play & support up to BDXL 100GB. It is the standard & is clearly written there for you to read.

If your standalone does not play Blade Runner 2049, Inception or any other 100GB commercial UHD, then you need to return it for a legally required FREE fix since the manufacturer has broken their license agreements.
I've dealt with with this issue with my friends & they ALL have different UHD players & they ALL now play BDXL 100GB UHD movies since they all got free upgrades to fix their illegal standalones that failed to follow the UHD standards.

I know most of you are referring to burnt discs but you all need to re-read that first link I posted.
It has been out since 2015 when the alliance put out the LEGALLY required standards for ALL UHD players on the planet (otherwise the companies can't get their licenses). There are NO EXCEPTIONS.
ALL UHD players MUST play & support up to BDXL 100GB. It is the standard & is clearly written there for you to read.

If your standalone does not play Blade Runner 2049, Inception or any other 100GB commercial UHD, then you need to return it for a legally required FREE fix since the manufacturer has broken their license agreements.
I've dealt with with this issue with my friends & they ALL have different UHD players & they ALL now play BDXL 100GB UHD movies since they all got free upgrades to fix their illegal standalones that failed to follow the UHD standards.
I don't if this applies to the LG UBK80. I talked LG into giving me a refund. I may have even asked them if they had a firmware update? No support for BDXL 100GB discs though [or so they told me]

This all was written for support of burnt media I think.
Also you have to keep in mind that the layer size of burnt media is quite different to an official release I have to take a look at this because I actually can't give exact data for thid. I had this in conversation two or three years ago.

Last edited:
This all was written for support of burnt media I think.
Also you have to keep in mind that the layer size of burnt media is quite different to an official release I have to take a look at this because I actually can't give exact data for thid. I had this in conversation two or three years ago.
We know that these players handle retail media [obviously]. It is burnt media that is problematic. Someone here or elsewhere or both suggested that the Blu-ray Disc Association, http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en/index.aspx, never released information about authoring burnt media [UHD]?

We know that these players handle retail media [obviously]. It is burnt media that is problematic. Someone here or elsewhere or both suggested that the Blu-ray Disc Association, http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en/index.aspx, never released information about authoring burnt media [UHD]?
You got it (y)
Look here at Page 14 + 28 : http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Assets/Downloadablefile/White_Paper_General_4th_20150817_clean.pdf
The difference is the layer size. Single/ double layer media with 25 GB per layer and BD XL (BD-RE TL) 33,4 GB per layer. If you e.g. only need 63GB for your project, the third layer is not used. The problems only appear when you exceed the 66.8 GB mark. The size specifications do not correspond to the real values (25 GB = approx. 23.3 GB and 33.4 GB = approx. 31.1 GB writable space)

Last edited:
You got it (y)
Look here at Page 14 + 28 : http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Assets/Downloadablefile/White_Paper_General_4th_20150817_clean.pdf
The diirence is the layer size. Single/ double layer media with 25 GB per layer and BD XL (BD-RE TL) 33,4 GB per layer. If you e.g. only need 63GB for your project, the third layer is not used. The problems only appear when you exceed the 66.8 GB mark. The size specifications do not correspond to the real values (25 GB = approx. 23.3 GB and 33.4 GB = approx. 31.1 GB writable space)
Can you "dumb" this down for me? How does this explain why there are [almost] no players that can handle these discs? [I'm assuming that these restrictions don't apply on PC playback?] It's a different layer size. Why can't standalone players just be designed to handle this?

Last edited:
Why can't standalone players just be designed to handle this?

I always thought they could handle it technically if they wanted.

But they don't want to because they want to discourage making copies of retail UHD movies on blanks.

I would say it's not a well thought out plan if that's the case because a good number of commercial UHD's are under 66G.

Right now at least, since most seem to be movie-only.

As more UHDs include full extras, more will push past 66G though.

T

It is a bit strange. The formula is less and less physical media and more and more streaming. Why bother protecting UHDs? It's not like there is a huge demand for them as it was with the advent of Blu-Rays.

Back