• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can't copy DVD to HDD

FerFemNemBem

Hi,

i tried to copy the content of a DVD (the VIDEO_TS folder) to my harddsik using the explorer - this failed. After that i tried to make a copy using CloneDVD2 - this also failed. My last try was to copy the content using the "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk". This also ends in an error (FileIO VTS_01_6.VOB 947369984 475136).

All the tools say that the DVD seems to be corrupt but the DVD-player plays the DVD without any errors. I have also testet on several computers with different DVD drives. The DVD ist verry clean and looks like a brand new one. Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.60 reports 2 errors on the DVD and hangs after that...

Here the status information:

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.4)
PLEXTOR DVD-ROM PX-116A2 1.00 08/04/03
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2056512 sectors (4016 MBytes)
Total size: 4063200 sectors (7935 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: Schlupp
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 1 2 3 4 5 6!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to Title 1!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 1 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!

Does one have an idea whats wrong?

Thank you.

Kind regards, FFNB.

Last edited:
Unprotected disc?

This looks a bit strange to me. Is this dvd copy protected at all? It looks region free, no css, double layer, dvd-rom booktype. Is it a commercially made dvd or burned?
Maybe try disabling AnyDVD - and try copying the files in Windows Explorer to your hard disc?

Hi,

i tried to copy with and without AnyDVD active - same result.

As far as i can see the CD has 2 Copy protections:

- "Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!"
- "Found & removed 1 bad sector protections!"

This is an commercial movie DVD from Ellis Kaut: "Schlupp vom gruenen Stern" ;)

Kind regards, FFNB.

FerFemNemBem

OldJoe had the correct idea as you answered your own question. Exchange the disk as you DVD burner can not properly read it

If Anydvd can't handle an Arccos protected disc fully, Nero cd-dvd speed may report those errors anyway. Of course, if you happen to know something about this particular disc that I don't, then you're probably right.

I've never heard about this disc before.

Last edited:
Sling of the Green Star was done in the late 80's so this has to be a re-mastered copy of that or a bad mastering press. If you check the Slysoft archives AnyDVD v4.1.01 was released for that movie

FerFemNemBem said:
.....All the tools say that the DVD seems to be corrupt but the DVD-player plays the DVD without any errors.....Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.60 reports 2 errors on the DVD and hangs after that....
oldjoe said:
.....Sounds like a bad original.....
@ FerFemNemBem,

Agree with Forum Member oldjoe that it appears the problem is a defective original Commercial DVD Movie disk.

If Nero CD/DVD Speed hangs when performing a ScanDisc sector surface scan I doubt that AnyDVD will be able to correctly process the data from is suspect defective original Commercial DVD Movie disk.

You are using an old obsolete version of Nero CD/DVD Speed. Suggest downloading the newest most current up date version of Nero CD/DVD Speed v4.7.7.3 and perform another ScanDisc surface scan of the original Commercial DVD Movie ->

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_4773.zip

Regards,
Coaster

Sling of the Green Star was done in the late 80's so this has to be a re-mastered copy of that or a bad mastering press. If you check the Slysoft archives AnyDVD v4.1.01 was released for that movie

Thank you :clap: :bowdown:

I'm often reluctant to base judgments on Nero cd-dvd speed when the protection is a bit iffy (there have been a few times when Nero cd-dvd speed reported read errors on discs before Anydvd could handle them fully). "copy protection based on unreadable sectors", for example . . .

Last edited:
Hi,
Please post the .ifos.
You will find the IFOs here.

Is this disc from Germany?
Yes.

I've never heard about this disc before.
Its not as popular as "Rambo" or "Terminator" but also verry nice. :agree: Look here. Its a puppet-cartoon (if this is the right word.)
Sling of the Green Star was done in the late 80's so this has to be a re-mastered copy of that or a bad mastering press.
You are right that this movie is from 1986 but as far as i know is the DVD i have (from 2004) the first pressing of this movie.

If you check the Slysoft archives AnyDVD v4.1.01 was released for that movie
You are right! The changelog says:

4.1.0.1, 2004 11 02
- New: Added support for "Puppetlock protection type 4"
as found on "Schlupp vom grünen Stern" (German) to the
option to remove "Protection based on unreadable Sectors"

Maybe the support of this type of copy protection is broken in the new version of AnyDVD? Have one the version 4.1.0.1 - so i will check out if this works for me.

Kind regards, FFNB.

Last edited:
Hi,

i tried to copy the content of a DVD (the VIDEO_TS folder) to my harddsik using the explorer - this failed. After that i tried to make a copy using CloneDVD2 - this also failed. My last try was to copy the content using the "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk". This also ends in an error (FileIO VTS_01_6.VOB 947369984 475136).

All the tools say that the DVD seems to be corrupt but the DVD-player plays the DVD without any errors. I have also testet on several computers with different DVD drives. The DVD ist verry clean and looks like a brand new one. Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.60 reports 2 errors on the DVD and hangs after that...

Media is a DVD.

Thank you.

Kind regards, FFNB.

Hi FerFemNemBem,

You will need DVDFab 3.1.9.0 to copy this disc. It has a brand new engine that emulates a DVD Player to get around all these protections.

Up until now, programs like AnyDVD and DVDFab looked for signatures to detect protections.

With DVDFab 3.1.9.0 and later, this is a thing of the past... if your player can play the DVD, you can copy it.

I *think* something *like* this is being worked on for AnyDVD (the "AI scanner"), but until it's out, you'll have to use DVDFab. DVDFab has had it working but unreleased for quite some time, so it's quite stable.

I don't work for DVDFAb, I'm just an end user trying to help original poster.

Hi FerFemNemBem,

You will need DVDFab 3.1.9.0 to copy this disc.

According to what Carolina Mike wrote, Anydvd has been able to handle this disc for quite some time. The evidence points to a bad original disc.

If you wish to discuss alternate decyption methods, feel free to do so in the Third Party forum instead, as this one is dedicated to Anydvd.

Last edited:
Hi,
Anydvd has been able to handle this disc for quite some time.
There was made a lot of changes on this copy protection in AnyDVD- could it be that these changes has broken the support of this DVD?
The evidence points to a bad original disc.
The DVD is brand new without any scratches or other visible defects. This DVD also plays verry well. What would be the result of an "Protection based on unreadable Sectors" (this is the one that this DVD has) if AnyDVD could not handle this copy protection well? Maybe the symptoms i described?

What is the different between an errorneous DVD and an DVD that has an "Protection based on unreadable Sectors"?

Kind regards, FFNB.

Hi,

There was made a lot of changes on this copy protection in AnyDVD- could it be that these changes has broken the support of this DVD?

The DVD is brand new without any scratches or other visible defects. This DVD also plays verry well. What would be the result of an "Protection based on unreadable Sectors" (this is the one that this DVD has) if AnyDVD could not handle this copy protection well? Maybe the symptoms i described?

What is the different between an errorneous DVD and an DVD that has an "Protection based on unreadable Sectors"?

Kind regards, FFNB.
It is very possible that the support was broken for that type of protection.

Hi,

Media is a DVD.

Thank you.

Kind regards, FFNB.
You are right, the protection at the end of the movie is not removed correctly. Will be fixed. In the meantime, just don't copy the last chapter (use the scissors bar in CloneDVD to cut it off)

Hi,

Yes, I believe this happened. I'll fix it.

Back