• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How Fast Can you Shrink to a DVD5?

Clams

For those that wanna play along - try this test just to see how fast your machine is relative to others here. I'll go 1st

Title: Star Wars Ep IV "A New Hope" (original Star Wars) widescreen.

Software: DVDShrink 3.2 (AnyDVD unloaded - not needed)

Source: The Factory DVD - not a folder.
Target: Main Movie with AC3 5.1 sound only. Target a hard disk folder, don't burn.

Quality settings: Both checked and Maximum Sharpness (because it takes longest). Also make sure it's not set for "low priority mode" in preferences.

As per the above DVDShrink reported completion took 27:20.
Machine is a P4 3.2g running XP-Pro. Please report your machine / OS / and speed.

It's my oservation that it took about 11-12 minutes to do the deep analasys and about 15-16 to transcode the film to a DVD5. I picked Star Wars and Shrink because I think most of us have them somewhere.

Let the tests begin....... :)

-W

i'm thick.
i understand your using shrink to compress dvd movie star wars IV to dvd5 (main movie with AC3 soundtrack) to a folder on the hard disk.and it took 27:20
where i'm lost is this:
what does this mean?

i'm thick.
i understand your using shrink to compress dvd movie star wars IV to dvd5 (main movie with AC3 soundtrack) to a folder on the hard disk.and it took 27:20
where i'm lost is this:
what does this mean?

He means the original disc--and not a rip from your hard drive.

in fact: not the fastest encoding is the best ...

pls encode in shrink with deepanalysis und maximum-sharpness and your result will be much better !!!

Hi :)
Well I am out for a start. :(
I don't have any Star Wars whatsoever. :doh:

And for the record - I differ veamently with moving this to Third Party Products. The idea was to compare trancoding times vs CPU speeds - the products used were totally secondary to the concept. The product and DVD picks were totally non-company-biased.

1/ Star Wars is the best selling DVD - EVER
2/ DVDShrink 3.2 is the most commonly used (per AVS Forum) transcoder - EVER (sorry sheeples)

So let's define a third party prduct?? How exactly does Elbys innocuous stuff rate as 1st Party Products next to the Slysoft stuff? Last time I checked the HTML header: this is still the "Slysoft Forum" not the "Elby Forum". Hint: It can't be the same company under different wool.. Unless you claim it is?? \
Is it the same outfit?? Go ahead and say so.............. <EG>

-W

in fact: not the fastest encoding is the best ...

pls encode in shrink with deepanalysis und maximum-sharpness and your result will be much better !!!

And that's EXACTLY the same paramaters I based my speed test on.
So explain to me SLOWLY where we differ in ideology? :D

-W

And for the record - I differ veamently with moving this to Third Party Products. The idea was to compare trancoding times vs CPU speeds - the products used were totally secondary to the concept. The product and DVD picks were totally non-company-biased.

1/ Star Wars is the best selling DVD - EVER
2/ DVDShrink 3.2 is the most commonly used (per AVS Forum) transcoder - EVER (sorry sheeples)

So let's define a third party prduct?? How exactly does Elbys innocuous stuff rate as 1st Party Products next to the Slysoft stuff? Last time I checked the HTML header: this is still the "Slysoft Forum" not the "Elby Forum". Hint: It can't be the same company under different wool.. Unless you claim it is?? \
Is it the same outfit?? Go ahead and say so.............. <EG>

-W

You're using Shrink, a third party product, specifically for this test.

This thread WILL remain here, where it belongs. Period. :policeman:

You're using Shrink, a third party product, specifically for this test.

This thread WILL remain here, where it belongs. Period. :policeman:

Of course it WILL because "Good guy - Bad guy - You've got the gun" .... :policeman:

But answer THIS - with all due care..

On this Slysoft Forum what makes Shrink any more of a "3rd Pary Product" than Elby's Clone DVD - which is claimed to come from a different company out of a different country??

Explain why Shrink and the Sheep even compete for airspace on this forum? Now if Shrink was free and Clone cost 49 cents... I could at least see a viable competition afoot (on any forum) :D :D

-W

-W

Last edited:
On this Slysoft Forum what makes Shrink any more of a "3rd Pary Product" than Elby's Clone DVD - which is claimed to come from a different company out of a different country??

-W
True, but Slysoft does sell it so it should have its own forum.

Last edited:
Of course it willbecaue "Good guy - Bad guy - You've got the gun" .... :policeman:

But answer THIS - with all due care..

-W

Probably because Slysoft is reseller of the product, and as such, has its own forum dedicated to Clonedvd here. All Slyosft programs (with the exception of Clonedvd mobile and Anydvd HD) had their origins with Elaborate Bytes.

The only reason I moved the thread is because your test is specifically restricted to Shrink. I wasn't even thinking about Clonedvd when I moved your thread. But no; I'm not moving the thread back. In my opinion, you're getting upset over nothing important. I had nothing sinister in mind when I moved thread. There's no conspiracy theory here. Actually, if your test dealt with Clonedvd only, I would have moved your thread into the Clonedvd forum.

If it makes you happier, I'll sticky your thread.

Last edited:
The idea was to compare trancoding times vs CPU speeds - the products used were totally secondary to the concept.

/QUOTE]

There are also some other factors that will figure in to the time. Amount and speed of RAM.... Running apps...to name just two.

RAM absolutely a factor. Running apps....... I just assume that peeps are smarter than that - or get what they get for running craplets.

-W

RAM absolutely a factor. Running apps....... I just assume that peeps are smarter than that - or get what they get for running craplets.

-W

A persons intelligence doesn't figure into the speed of their PC. I have one machine that I use mainly for backups but I also do many backups on the others for convenience sake. The apps running on each machine differs considerably.

I just meant that before I sit down to a machine to reddux a DVD , I make sure I stop any running apps likely to waste my time. Still, we've talked about threads and machines and memory and apps. And still no one posted any times for comparison. My theory is that disk I/O times start to become the wall at certain CPU speeds and higher. -W

I never turn any apps off and I am usually tasking and/or surfing the net while burning.

For those that wanna play along - try this test just to see how fast your machine is relative to others here. I'll go 1st
Title: Star Wars Ep IV "A New Hope" (original Star Wars) widescreen.
Software: DVDShrink 3.2 (AnyDVD unloaded - not needed)
Target: Main Movie with AC3 5.1 sound only. Target a hard disk folder, don't burn.
Quality settings: Both checked and Maximum Sharpness (because it takes longest). Also make sure it's not set for "low priority mode" in preferences.
As per the above DVDShrink reported completion took 27:20.
Machine is a P4 3.2g running XP-Pro. Please report your machine / OS / and speed.
It's my oservation that it took about 11-12 minutes to do the deep analasys and about 15-16 to transcode the film to a DVD5. I picked Star Wars and Shrink because I think most of us have them somewhere.
Let the tests begin....... :)
-W
OK I'll play, settings as you requested total time to Analyse and Encode 34mins 25secs with an approximate time of 14 to 15 mins for the deep analasys. Machine 3.00 Pentium 4 running Windows XP Home.
Have fun ;)

Back