• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD Titles that Behave like They're Damaged

Big C

I purchase my titles on disk directly from Amazon. Has anyone noticed this pattern in which when purchasing titles on UHD Blu-ray disk, the drive would behave like the disk was damaged, and then when you return the disk and purchase another copy of the same item, there are no problems? It happened with "The Shining," and I think is the same with "The Last Jedi." I'm wondering if it's exclusive to Amazon, or if some copies of certain items are manufactured to behave like they're defective in order to avoid successful decryption.

or if some copies of certain items are manufactured to behave like they're defective in order to avoid successful decryption.
If they are defective, they avoid successful watching, too.

I purchase my titles on disk directly from Amazon. Has anyone noticed this pattern in which when purchasing titles on UHD Blu-ray disk, the drive would behave like the disk was damaged, and then when you return the disk and purchase another copy of the same item, there are no problems? It happened with "The Shining," and I think is the same with "The Last Jedi." I'm wondering if it's exclusive to Amazon, or if some copies of certain items are manufactured to behave like they're defective in order to avoid successful decryption.
If they are defective, they avoid successful watching, too.

LMFAO!

That's funny James :=).

Hopefully Big C, you mean you have no problem playing those UHDs on a standalone but when put them in a computer drive they act as if defective?

If so, I have had this happen also, but much more often with regular Blu-Ray than UHD.

If your standalone plays it fine it's because it's not as exacting as the computer drive is. It'll skip past bad areas on the disc and extrapolate, etc to continue to provide video and audio.

Computers are looking for bit-level exactness.

What I have found exclusive to UHD is that they are very sensitive discs -- and I sometimes have to clean and re-clean them to get them to play properly in the computer.

Maybe that's the problem?

Why does the replacement you get have different behavior?

Got me there - bad quality assurance at the manufacturer maybe??

Some discs may be just good enough to play on standalone but not good enough for computer.

Doubt it's a nefarious new protection scheme though (lol).

T

I don't have a stand-alone player for UHD Blu-rays. I only use my Windows 4K/UHD OLED laptop and VLC Media Player for watching movies. So I'd have no way of comparing it to stand-alone players. At least we're in agreement that the fact that the replacements I get work just fine is a mystery.

Last edited:
I don't have a stand-alone player for UHD Blu-rays.

Oh, ok.

At least we're in agreement that the fact that the replacements I get work just fine is a mystery.

Yes.

But it's a good theory that it's just bad manufacturing practices.

And that many don't notice because they're not playing the disc on computers but on standalones so they all play just fine.

T

Buy those disposable lens cleaners you would normally buy for cleaning eyeglasses.

I use a microfiber cloth on all mine. I also have two different drives to try them in. One Asus and one lg. It seems to help.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I use a microfiber cloth on all mine. I also have two different drives to try them in. One Asus and one lg. It seems to help.

I must be buying the wrong microfiber cloths as they seem to scratch the disc. I've tried the flat ones from an eyeglass shop and the ones that look like terrycloth.

I must be buying the wrong microfiber cloths as they seem to scratch the disc. I've tried the flat ones from an eyeglass shop and the ones that look like terrycloth.

I've never had one scratch the disc. YIKES! How are you cleaning them? You should be going from the inside circle straight out to the edge, rotating the disc and repeating. I ordered a box of microfiber cloths on amazon years ago and they work just fine.

Yes, I've noticed this and have attributed it to excess residue left on the discs from the manufacturing process. Try washing them with soap and water and you may see an oily residue wash off.

My Amazon replacement for the UHD edition of "The Last Jedi" just arrived and is giving me the same problem as the first copy. This isn't that error I put in the list of UHDs which don't work with AnyDVDHD, or I'd be posting the log report there instead of complaining here and other forums. The drive struggles to read and nearly stops reading the disk in the middle of copying/ripping and sometimes gives me cannot read errors, reports bad secters/sectors, etc.. I'm using AnyDVDHD 8.4.7.0, 8.7.4.0, or whatever the latest one is. My drive is an LG WH16Ns40 NS50 flashed to firmware 1.02. I launch ANYDVDHD. I insert the disk and wait until it's done scanning and recognizing it. I go to "This PC," select my disk, and copy it to the clipboard. I then go to my videos folder and paste. My other options which I didn't try yet would be to use AnyDVDHD's "rip to image" and/or "rip to harddisk" functions. Also, should I flash my drive to one of the other compatible firmwares such as for the ASUS model, LG BE16NU50, LG bh16NS40, LG BH16NS60, or LG WH16NS60?

Last edited:
I go to "This PC," select my disk, and copy it to the clipboard. I then go to my videos folder and paste.

Big C, even if the copy had completed, pretty sure this would never work.

You would really need to use AnyDVD's Rip-To-Image, Rip-To-Harddisk or CloneBD to get a valid, playable backup of the disc.

Also, should I flash my drive to one of the other compatible firmwares...

I've been using WH16NS40 1.02 firmware and it's working exceptionally well.

T

often it's the nasty, oily residue that leeches out of the disc cases and gets onto the discs
microfiber cloth often helps a lot even if the disc shows no apparent signs of looking contaminated

some of the 100GB discs are more finicky in general though

often it's the nasty, oily residue that leeches out of the disc cases and gets onto the discs
microfiber cloth often helps a lot even if the disc shows no apparent signs of looking contaminated

some of the 100GB discs are more finicky in general though
Two of the same disk though? Someone at the MKV forum thinks my drive might be defective. But it works fine with other 4K/UHD Blu-ray disks though.

Last edited:
Supposedly, some disks and drives just don't get along. My UHD of "2001: A Space Odyssey" is behaving fine. So I guess I'll be watching "The Last Jedi" in SDR 1080p unless or until there is a firmware, hardware, or software solution.

Now that I called this to everyone's attention, I think it would be good to keep an eye out for more titles with this issue in case it is some new form of encryption, protection, etc. which needs to be circumvented by enthusiasts.

It's most definitely not.

Back