• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

burning 128GB data discs

I'm guessing you have some professional burning s/w. I'm only using freebies, or inexpensive s/w, and the only one I have which mentions OPC is ImgBurn which - while excellent - is no longer supported and seems to handle everything except 4-layer discs which were not around when it was developed, I guess. ImgBurn (unlike DAEMON tools) cannot handle the data already on the disc and does not let me try to add to it. So fiddling with the OPC setting there is pointless.

Thanks for the info.

You guess wrong, my main burning software is a freebie. IMGburn, and yes it mentions OPC. I don't have drives that need it though. Only use quality media

Yup was about to say Pioneer but then they aren't UHD Friendly :)
Thats right, but it doesn´t matter for burning. I use diffrent drives for burning and reading - I would recommend that to you too.

he's using a Buffalo and besides you're slightly off topic. Anyway I prefer archiving to Blu-Ray because they can hold data much longer (1000 years with M.DISC) and are much thinner therefore take up much less room in the filing cabinet for the same amount of data. HD is mechanical and prone to failure over time.
Boaaaah. 1000 years.... Tell me a hardware technology that survived 10 years. 20 years. 50 years......Dream on.

Thats right, but it doesn´t matter for burning. I use diffrent drives for burning and reading - I would recommend that to you too.

Honestly I did play with this thought for a while but then I decided not to for 3 reasons. Firstly the Pioneer drives are costly, secondly I didn't see a need for one and I rarely read or write to blu-ray discs, thirdly there's no more space on my PC for an additional drive as the top mounted radiator 'eats' into the top drive bay. I guess the 3rd reason was the real showstopper.

Boaaaah. 1000 years.... Tell me a hardware technology that survived 10 years. 20 years. 50 years......Dream on.

Well it doesn't need to because no one should need to store data that long, however if the spec guarantees 1000 years it'll last at least over a 100. In terms of hardware, that's not as important because there will always be ways to recover data from physical media (albeit at a cost). Therefore if the data is really precious then it's still worth doing. Also, there's no harm backing up to another media or even the cloud in addition to this. It's better to have multiple backups of important things. That's just my personal reason.

Honestly I did play with this thought for a while but then I decided not to for 3 reasons. Firstly the Pioneer drives are costly, secondly I didn't see a need for one and I rarely read or write to blu-ray discs, thirdly there's no more space on my PC for an additional drive as the top mounted radiator 'eats' into the top drive bay. I guess the 3rd reason was the real showstopper.
In this case there´s no need for you to buy a new optical drive, but what about your BD XL project? I´d onestly think about an SSD - In my opinion this should be the best solution for you.
Quicker to write on and better compatibility with other machines, witch have no drive for this media.

Well it doesn't need to because no one should need to store data that long, however if the spec guarantees 1000 years it'll last at least over a 100. In terms of hardware, that's not as important because there will always be ways to recover data from physical media (albeit at a cost). Therefore if the data is really precious then it's still worth doing. Also, there's no harm backing up to another media or even the cloud in addition to this. It's better to have multiple backups of important things. That's just my personal reason.
When I´m dead and gone nobody cares about broken media :rolleyes: I couldn´t imagine that there will be any media on disc in the further future. Look at all these who backup huge libarys. They permanently backaup their data files allthoug tey were permitted a 1000 years data life.

You will find no hardware 20 years from now that can read optical discs. Wanna bet?

You will find no hardware 20 years from now that can read optical discs. Wanna bet?

That is exactly what I meant when I said data can be recovered at a cost if necessary. Even without hardware, there'll be data recovery or forensic companies that will be able to do it.

Thanks for this. I was wondering whether you've received the disc today but was so busy at work I'd forgotten to ask.

I'm sure this is a silly question but have you checked whether Buffalo has issued a firmware update for your drive? This feels more like a firmware issue to me.

Yes thanks I have had an ongoing dialogue with Buffalo, not altogether satisfactory, I have to say, and currently stalled for some reason which makes me suspicious. I've communicated this news to them.

Success, well 50% success ...

Asus agreed to replace the drive and I was very sceptical because a 'firmware upgrade' had not helped the previous one.
But this drive is different:

Vendor: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1H-U
Firmware version: A204
Serial number: KLCJ7EJ4025
Connection type: USB
Interface: Serial ATAPI

A very different firmware version and serial, so I suspect that this is a completely different manufacturer.
And it works, have written > 100GB to a 128GB disc, in less than 90 minutes (took much longer to verify).

So now to shame Buffalo into fixing or replacing their non-functional drive (BDR-209M).
Any suggestions?

Back