• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

burning 128GB data discs

2dmartin

Hi Folks. I've run out of ideas and should have come here sooner!

I want to burn 128GB BD data discs. I want to use an external USB-connected drive.
2 or 3 years ago I purchased the Buffalo BDXL drive BDR-209M. It worked fine with 25GB and 50GB discs. And then a year ago I got hold of 100GB discs and it did not recognise them.

After a protracted discussion with Buffalo they agreed an exchange. The "new" BDR-209M does indeed read and burn 100GB discs, but does not recognise the Sony 128GB discs that I recently purchased. Buffalo claim they have tested it and it works, but they are still looking into it (I have no idea what they are looking at - I have given them nothing) and will get back to me. !!

So I bought an ASUS BW-16D1H-U which also says on the tin that it can handle 128GB discs. Like the Pioneer (sorry, Buffalo), it does indeed read and burn 100GB discs but does not recognise 128GB discs. I had a discussion with ASUS support. They supplied a firmware updater tool (without telling me what firmware it contained) but it 'failed'. They said, because it's the same level as installed. That's perhaps not surprising as the unit is new. They have just told me to ask my supplier for a replacement or refund.

I now have little confidence that a replacement will be any better.

Am I doing anything obviously wrong?

For example I have 3 BD burn tools: ImgBurn, BurnAware and Power2Go, latest versions of each. Should I be trying something else?

I have blank 128GB discs, but it might be useful to have a 128GB disc containing data. If so, could some kind person (preferably in the UK/EU) burn a disc for me wth some random data if I supply one?

Here's what BurnAware sees of my drives.

Vendor: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-209M
Firmware version: 8.50
Serial number: RHDL026797WL
Connection type: USB
Interface: Serial ATAPI
BD-R: Read | Write
BD-RE: Read | Write
BD-R XL: Read | Write
BD-RE XL: Read | Write

Vendor: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1H-U
Firmware version: E114
Serial number: SADL050602WL
Connection type: USB
Interface: Serial ATAPI
BD-R: Read | Write
BD-RE: Read | Write
BD-R XL: Read | Write
BD-RE XL: Read | Write

Any and all suggestions will be very welcome. Thanks!

It works fine on my LG BH15NS55 with the stock firmware.

I am happy to burn you some data with mine. I live in the UK. Please send me a message.

I will also leave the disc open (not finalised) so you can use it to burn more data onto in the future.

@2dmartin Here are some screenshots. The drive is an LG BH15NS55 flashed with the Asus firmware. I have another LG BH15NS55 with the stock firmware and it works fine as well.

@2dmartin Here are some screenshots. The drive is an LG BH15NS55 flashed with the Asus firmware. I have another LG BH15NS55 with the stock firmware and it works fine as well.

Understood. However I do need a USB-attached drive, which both of the ones I've tried are. I guess I could use a SATA/USB convertor whatever the things are called.

Understood. However I do need a USB-attached drive, which both of the ones I've tried are. I guess I could use a SATA/USB convertor whatever the things are called.

Hello,

I've received your disc today. It works perfectly fine on my drive. I have burned some data on it for you.

I will pop it in the post shortly :)

Cheers.

P.S. I'll send you the info you've asked for in PM.

Here are some screenshots

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 6
Disc received today, thanks. And some interesting findings ...

My Buffalo drive CAN actually read it. The video plays perfectly. That was an inspired idea - thanks for including the video.
So ... next step I thought ... can I add files to it?
I notice you use Daemon Tools, so what the heck I thought, let's make that at least my 4th burning tool ...
I installed Tools LITE (Burn) no problem and it works fine with other BD's, now let's try that 128GB disc ...
Yes it recognised that there was already a folder and data on it. It let me select and add a file to the disc.
Then I clicked 'Start' and ... well, my luck ran out. See below.
I don't know what OPC is (will Google later).
Clicking 'reopen' worked fine and the disc appears to be undamaged.
Have you any insight into what might have gone wrong?
It's looking like this means the drive might never have been/be able to write 128GB discs, but that it may always have been able to read them. However the mfr does quote both read and write for these discs, so there's still an issue that needs addressing.

upload_2020-2-28_19-12-29.png

OPC = Optimal Power Calibration, or in layman's term. The drive powers up the laser to determine the optimal strength for the laser to use for a (guaranteed) succesful burn. See if there's a setting in DT (i never use it) to disable OPC. Might actually start burning then, but no guarantees it will burn (& verify) succesfully.

Disc received today, thanks. And some interesting findings ...

My Buffalo drive CAN actually read it. The video plays perfectly. That was an inspired idea - thanks for including the video.
So ... next step I thought ... can I add files to it?
I notice you use Daemon Tools, so what the heck I thought, let's make that at least my 4th burning tool ...
I installed Tools LITE (Burn) no problem and it works fine with other BD's, now let's try that 128GB disc ...
Yes it recognised that there was already a folder and data on it. It let me select and add a file to the disc.
Then I clicked 'Start' and ... well, my luck ran out. See below.
I don't know what OPC is (will Google later).
Clicking 'reopen' worked fine and the disc appears to be undamaged.
Have you any insight into what might have gone wrong?
It's looking like this means the drive might never have been/be able to write 128GB discs, but that it may always have been able to read them. However the mfr does quote both read and write for these discs, so there's still an issue that needs addressing.

View attachment 50575

Thanks for this. I was wondering whether you've received the disc today but was so busy at work I'd forgotten to ask.

I'm sure this is a silly question but have you checked whether Buffalo has issued a firmware update for your drive? This feels more like a firmware issue to me.

BD issues can be strange, for example I have older drives that can read and write to 128 GB discs but they can't read detect 4K UHD Blu-Ray discs at all.

OPC = Optimal Power Calibration, or in layman's term. The drive powers up the laser to determine the optimal strength for the laser to use for a (guaranteed) succesful burn. See if there's a setting in DT (i never use it) to disable OPC. Might actually start burning then, but no guarantees it will burn (& verify) succesfully.

I'm guessing you have some professional burning s/w. I'm only using freebies, or inexpensive s/w, and the only one I have which mentions OPC is ImgBurn which - while excellent - is no longer supported and seems to handle everything except 4-layer discs which were not around when it was developed, I guess. ImgBurn (unlike DAEMON tools) cannot handle the data already on the disc and does not let me try to add to it. So fiddling with the OPC setting there is pointless.

Thanks for the info.

The LG and ASUS are lousy burners for double layer 50GB discs. From this point of view these are no better or worse for those discs. But I don't get the point. Commercial disc players can't read these discs and storing to HD is much cheaper.

I'm guessing you have some professional burning s/w. I'm only using freebies, or inexpensive s/w, and the only one I have which mentions OPC is ImgBurn which - while excellent - is no longer supported and seems to handle everything except 4-layer discs which were not around when it was developed, I guess. ImgBurn (unlike DAEMON tools) cannot handle the data already on the disc and does not let me try to add to it. So fiddling with the OPC setting there is pointless.

Thanks for the info.

AFAIK any software can burn any disc. Even if the spec says it only supports DVD, it'll still burn Blu-Ray. I'm only speaking from experience because I've used really old software with no problem. They are normally written to detect the disc's max capacity and burn pretty much the same way. The way the drive handles the stuff should be oblivious to the program. It like saying Windows will be able to handle any file size as long as NTFS does. But I could be wrong....

The LG and ASUS are lousy burners for double layer 50GB discs. From this point of view these are no better or worse for those discs. But I don't get the point. Commercial disc players can't read these discs and storing to HD is much cheaper.

I think so too. I would recomand Pioneeer for burning BD with more than one layer. I wouldn´t make backups on such expensive discs anyway :( A usual 1TB drive ist about 45 € here. For this price you can only get 3 of this discs.

he's using a Buffalo and besides you're slightly off topic. Anyway I prefer archiving to Blu-Ray because they can hold data much longer (1000 years with M.DISC) and are much thinner therefore take up much less room in the filing cabinet for the same amount of data. HD is mechanical and prone to failure over time.

I think so too. I would recomand Pioneeer for burning BD with more than one layer. I wouldn´t make backups on such expensive discs anyway :( A usual 1TB drive ist about 45 € here. For this price you can only get 3 of this discs.

Yup was about to say Pioneer but then they aren't UHD Friendly :)

AFAIK jede Software kann jede Disc brennen. Selbst wenn die Spezifikation besagt, dass nur DVD unterstützt wird, wird Blu-Ray trotzdem gebrannt.

The issue is not the software. It depends on your burner if your project fails or works.

Back