• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VCD 5.5.1.0 prevents AnyDVD driver from loading on Windows Server 2019

shoek

I recently upgraded to VCD 5.5.1.0 and AnyDVD 8.4.5.0 on my PC running Windows Server Essentials 2019
I noticed that when AnyDVD started, it said it could not find any DVD drives.
I uninstalled both, then reverted VCD back to 5.5.0.0 and AnyDVD ran just fine.

So, I think VCD 5.5.1.0 is not fully compatible with AnyDVD in this environment.
I have two Windows 10 1909 machines that did not have this issue at all.

This might be related to an issue I'm 'working' on over at a different forum, that says there might be a bug in the driver. In my case the upgraded driver prevents the third party tool I use for most of my burning from 'locking' the drive for exclusive use.

Maybe that same bug is preventing or from being loaded on your OS. Can't give more details atm, as I don't have them myself.

I have already contacted elby in regards to this and am awaiting response.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I recently upgraded to VCD 5.5.1.0 and AnyDVD 8.4.5.0 on my PC running Windows Server Essentials 2019
I noticed that when AnyDVD started, it said it could not find any DVD drives.
I uninstalled both, then reverted VCD back to 5.5.0.0 and AnyDVD ran just fine.

So, I think VCD 5.5.1.0 is not fully compatible with AnyDVD in this environment.
I have two Windows 10 1909 machines that did not have this issue at all.
Did AnyDVD didn't find any drives? Or just no VCD drives? Does VCD run on on Server 2019 at all (VCD drives visible in explorer)?
Is secure boot enabled on this machine?

This might be related to an issue I'm 'working' on over at a different forum, that says there might be a bug in the driver. In my case the upgraded driver prevents the third party tool I use for most of my burning from 'locking' the drive for exclusive use.
I don't think it is related at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did AnyDVD didn't find any drives? Or just no VCD drives? Does VCD run on on Server 2019 at all (VCD drives visible in explorer)?
Is secure boot enabled on this machine?
With VCD 5.5.1.0 installed:
- AnyDVD found no drives (expected it to find 2 physical, one virtual)
- VCD runs on Server 2019 just fine, 5.5.0.0 and 5.5.1.0
- Yes, secure boot is enabled

With VCD 5.5.1.0 installed:
- AnyDVD found no drives (expected it to find 2 physical, one virtual)
- VCD runs on Server 2019 just fine, 5.5.0.0 and 5.5.1.0
- Yes, secure boot is enabled
Can you please post an AnyDVD logfile?

The problem on Windows Server is ElbyCDIO.dll.
This isn't really a bug, more of a .... strange design decision. The new ElbyCDIO.dll tries to open drives only from user mode. Unfortunatly Server OS doesn't allow user mode programs to directly access optical drives.

Workaround: Shut down all programs using ElbyCDIO.dll. VCDaemon.exe, anydvdtray.exe. Delete C:\Windows\System32\ElbyCDIO.dll
Re-Install AnyDVD. This will install the previous ElbyCDIO.dll.
All should be fine now.

@Ch3vr0n, you can try to do the same, to check, if the problem is related.

The problem on Windows Server is ElbyCDIO.dll.
This isn't really a bug, more of a .... strange design decision. The new ElbyCDIO.dll tries to open drives only from user mode. Unfortunatly Server OS doesn't allow user mode programs to directly access optical drives.

Workaround: Shut down all programs using ElbyCDIO.dll. VCDaemon.exe, anydvdtray.exe. Delete C:\Windows\System32\ElbyCDIO.dll
Re-Install AnyDVD. This will install the previous ElbyCDIO.dll.
All should be fine now.

I can confirm that this indeed does work. AnyDVD installs ElbyCDIO.dll 6.1.9.1, and the latest VCD installs 6.1.9.2 which has the issue described.

Any chance you can get Elby to change that "strange design decision", James? :)

Thanks for the quick help!

I can confirm that this indeed does work. AnyDVD installs ElbyCDIO.dll 6.1.9.1, and the latest VCD installs 6.1.9.2 which has the issue described.

Any chance you can get Elby to change that "strange design decision", James? :)
Maybe. They obvious idea behind this is increased security. "A potentially malicous program cannot use ElbyCDIO to bypass security to access optical drives".
IMHO this is stupid. You don't want to run programs like AnyDVD, CloneBD, CloneDVD as administrator on Windows Server. Which probably would have worked, too.

In my case the upgraded driver prevents the third party tool I use for most of my burning from 'locking' the drive for exclusive use.
Tell me all the details, please...

Tell me all the details, please...
Well it's really not that complicated.

1. Install VCD 5500 and imgburn.
2. Set file io to elbycdio, and check the program settings 'lock drive for exclusive use' is enabled, I believe that's on by default, don't remember on the top my head the exact tab
3. Open imgburn and start a random burn.
Imgburn will just before it starts burning issue a command to 'lock drive for exclusive use' to prevent the drive from being accidentally ejected.
4. Update to VCD 5510
5. Restart a random burn, imgburn will try to issue the 'lock' command but fail with an error 'system cannot find the file specified' and offer to cancel, retry or continue. Clicking continue does start the burn, but obviously without locking the drive, thus it can be ejected mid burn.

Right now I'm heading to bed. I'll see if your instructions above work tomorrow and post back.

Imgburn and all Windows NT based versions (NT, 2000, 7, 8, 10) work flawlessly with SPTI and ElbyCDIO is not needed or makes things worse like in the case above. Why asking for trouble if the default interface has no issues since decades. I don't get it....

Imgburn and all Windows NT based versions (NT, 2000, 7, 8, 10) work flawlessly with SPTI and ElbyCDIO is not needed or makes things worse like in the case above. Why asking for trouble if the default interface has no issues since decades. I don't get it....
SPTI requires admin rights with NT, 2000, XP, Vista, all Server OS. SPTI can't lock the drive for exclusive use. Why using something inferior, if ElbyCDIO is just a mouse click away? (And has no issues since decades?)

Bad sleeper here and woke up (hahaha distantly during night), decided to do a quick post. I've had no issues for years with elbycdio, and locking duce for exclusive use is precisely why I use it over Microsoft's one.

With the elby one, the drive CANNOT get ejected mid burn by accident, as the drive is locked in 'in use mode' I'll call it.

I've had to many cases in the past (for to running my triple burner setup), where I wanted to elect 1 dude and accidentally ejected another that was busy burning back when I was using SPTI and didn't know any better. I'm not going back to that.

I'm sure this bug will get fixed and I'll go back to more years of flawless elbycdio use.

*Back to bed*

Last edited:
@James i'm pleased to announce the bugfix release 5520 fixes this issue. No imgburn error message.

Thanks! The new version fixed errors on remote desktop also! (No drives found).

Back