• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD-5 failures

dbminter

This is really odd, but seems to be repeatable. I just got this new PC back at the beginning of January. It contains the same BD writer as my old PC, which was the same model as this new one, just with different default hardware now. The BD burner is an LG BU40N with firmware A102-01 in RAID configuration, like on my old system. Unlike on my old system, regularly and with repeated accuracy, DVD-5 discs fail to fully extract. They all die with read failures near the end of the process. I'd take the same disc, same version of AnyDVD, and rip it successfully right afterwards in my LG WH16NS60 with firmware 1.01 in a VanTech USB enclosure.

I don't have any scan logs from discs because the only common thread involved seems to be the discs are DVD-5's. DVD-9's and BD-25's rip just fine. Next time I can get a DVD-5 to try, I'll try again in the BU40N and get an exact error message for follow up. And then I'll include a scan of the disc, but it probably will not return anything out of the ordinary.

I know this sounds crazy, but these are the results I'm getting.

Why would DVD-5's fail but DVD-9's and BD-25's extract just fine? I sure can't figure it out.

Thanks!

This is really odd, but seems to be repeatable. I just got this new PC back at the beginning of January. It contains the same BD writer as my old PC, which was the same model as this new one, just with different default hardware now. The BD burner is an LG BU40N with firmware A102-01 in RAID configuration, like on my old system. Unlike on my old system, regularly and with repeated accuracy, DVD-5 discs fail to fully extract. They all die with read failures near the end of the process. I'd take the same disc, same version of AnyDVD, and rip it successfully right afterwards in my LG WH16NS60 with firmware 1.01 in a VanTech USB enclosure.

I don't have any scan logs from discs because the only common thread involved seems to be the discs are DVD-5's. DVD-9's and BD-25's rip just fine. Next time I can get a DVD-5 to try, I'll try again in the BU40N and get an exact error message for follow up. And then I'll include a scan of the disc, but it probably will not return anything out of the ordinary.

I know this sounds crazy, but these are the results I'm getting.

Why would DVD-5's fail but DVD-9's and BD-25's extract just fine? I sure can't figure it out.

Thanks!
What you don't mention and could be relevant is whether the DVD-5s are copies (DVD +/-R) or pressed commercial single layer discs. If they are commercial, that would be odd. If they are copies (DVD +/-R), it could be the blanks that were used were inferior and have degraded.

You're right. I didn't mention that because I didn't think it relevant. I should have said these are pressed discs, not finalized recordable DVD's.

Long shot.

Only difference might be the read speed at the end of the disc for DVD5 compared to the others. Tried to lower the read speed to something lower than max?

I didn't know there was a read speed setting in AnyDVD. Where would it be? I know there's one in ImgBurn.

There isn't one, read spread is exclusively down to the drive (and it's firmware, which determines which types of discs or can read at what speed)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I didn't know there was a read speed setting in AnyDVD. Where would it be? I know there's one in ImgBurn.
AnyDVD settings -> drives -> speed

But it feels like your drive is defective.

I had wondered about that, but ImgBurn can image DVD-5's that aren't protected, so I wrote that off as a possibility.

There is a difference between Imgburn and AnyDVD as retries are concerned. At some point in time AnyDVD just continues when problems occur while Imgburn keeps re-trying and if it is not successful gives an error message. This could be the reason for the different results. However, the root cause is your drive or your discs. The drive is either dying or your laser lens is polluted. In addition that DVD-5 might be polluted or scratched. It makes no sense at all that your drive reads DVD-9 OK but not DVD-5.

There is a difference between Imgburn and AnyDVD as retries are concerned. At some point in time AnyDVD just continues when problems occur
No, it does not.

Plus, when ImgBurn retires, you get a listing in the log when it retries. I get no such entries. But, those discs aren't protected.

No, it does not.
James,

I had that a couple of times (at least with previous versions of AnyDVD) when AnyDVD finished OK but the past-processing with CloneBD choked and couldn't process the output of AnyDVD. No offense!

I had wondered about that, but ImgBurn can image DVD-5's that aren't protected, so I wrote that off as a possibility.
You are wrong. Commercial DVDs need AnyDVD to be running in the background if you want to use Imgburn. Imgburn just by itself will not help and not produce anything that can be played.

James,

I had that a couple of times (at least with previous versions of AnyDVD) when AnyDVD finished OK but the past-processing with CloneBD choked and couldn't process the output of AnyDVD. No offense!

Blu-ray:
AnyDVD always has stopped, if the drive reports a read error. Sometimes the drive doesn't or some driver doesn't forward it. For this case:
Code:
8.2.5.0 2018 05 14
- New (Blu-ray): Added integrity check to AnyDVD ripper (unprotected image and folder)

But we are talking about DVDs here, rip-to-folder, right? This will remux and AnyDVD will detect every tiny error. Structural, too. Promise.

Blu-ray:
AnyDVD always has stopped, if the drive reports a read error. Sometimes the drive doesn't or some driver doesn't forward it. For this case:
Code:
8.2.5.0 2018 05 14
- New (Blu-ray): Added integrity check to AnyDVD ripper (unprotected image and folder)

But we are talking about DVDs here, rip-to-folder, right? This will remux and AnyDVD will detect every tiny error. Structural, too. Promise.
James,

yes, not with DVDs but ripped UHDs finished without any hint that there was a problem. Then CloneBD choked and stopped saying there was an error.

James,

yes, not with DVDs but ripped UHDs finished without any hint that there was a problem. Then CloneBD choked and stopped saying there was an error.
And this is the DVD section, so talk DVD or take it to the CloneBD or UHD section.

You are wrong. Commercial DVDs need AnyDVD to be running in the background if you want to use Imgburn. Imgburn just by itself will not help and not produce anything that can be played.

No, I'm RIGHT! ;) Notice I said NOT protected. ImgBurn can image any DVD Video that is not protected by CSS or any structural protection even without AnyDVD running as the decryption layer. Because, there's nothing to decrypt.

James,

With AnyDVD version >= 8.2.5.0? Doubtful. And we are talking about DVDs here. Not UHDs.

Well, had a chance to test this with a new DVD-5 to get logs, more info, etc. (I want to see if with AnyDVD serving as the translating decrypting layer with it resident, if using DVDShrink in File output mode would work whereas the AnyDVD decrypter was failing.) Of course, it worked this time! :)

Back