• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any thoughts on "new" Dolby Vision support?

kevbo

I've seen a couple of threads on the board about Dolby Vision support, and I've ripped a UHD with DV with CloneBD to see how it acts.

Things have moved in the DV support world, and CloneBD isn't quite the state-of-the-art when it comes to supporting this new world. It seems to produce a dual-layer MP4 file: two video streams: the primary, and the secondary enhancement layer.

Basically, Dolby has released some code that allows you to take the main movie and combine it with the enhancement layer to create a single layered MP4 file. This isn't exacly news. A competing product to CloneBD appears to have included this BSD-Licensed code and gained the ability to rip a DV-enabled UHD disk to a single layered MP4 file.

This would be useful to have in CloneBD.

The Dolby code is here:

https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base/blob/master/ReleaseNotes.md

You've been able to take these single-layered MP4 files and play them directly on some LG and Vizio TVs and cause Dolby Vision to be properly detected and displayed, which is cool.

However, with the new DV supporting Shield TV, you can also now play them through Plex on the Shield connected to these TVs.

But what's even more interesting: you can make a non-standard MP4 file that contains better audio: it appears that both DTS-MA and TrueHD with Atmos work. These files are non-standard, but the playback layer that Plex uses on the Sheild can properly demux and route the audio.

Which means it is now kind of possible to rip a UHD DV disc to a movie file and play it with full DV and audio support on Plex with a Shield TV (and possibly with a Fire TV, I'm not sure about that).

There's a thread here that talks all about the current state of things:

https://forum.mrmc.tv/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4171&start=310

I was wondering if any thought had been given to fold this functionality into CloneBD. It would be really cool to have an easy-to-use tool like it that could support all of this stuff. I've been using Redfox and Elby stuff for years, and it would be great to see you still with the best feature set.

Kevin

Last edited:
I was wondering if any thought had been given to fold this functionality into ClownBD.
I'm almost certain, that Elaborate Bytes will consider this.

But - please - there is no "clown" in CloneBD :sneaky:

Wow. Thanks for pointing that out. For anyone who's been around a while, "ClownBD" is an old GUI front end to EAC that I used for a long time. Apparently my brain has trouble typing CloneBD instead. :)

Back