• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best cheap player for burned discs?

Wendysue

I have a toddler at home that destroys discs so I have been using CloneDVD to make backups of our original movies so that we aren't losing money left and right. I have a library of about 30 backups.

Our DVD player was dying so I decided to replace it with a Toshiba HD player, and I'm finding it doesn't like burned discs at all. Of course the Toshiba will play the commercial originals...but I don't want to risk them until my toddler gets more responsible.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap player that seems to like even "b grade" burns? I have a lot of money invested in blank TDK print-on discs and I am not likely to buy any other blanks anytime soon.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap player that seems to like even "b grade" burns? I have a lot of money invested in blank TDK print-on discs and I am not likely to buy any other blanks anytime soon.

Philips DVP 3140, plays anything including Divx. $39.99 at Best Buy and Circuit City.

are you setting the booktype to dvd-rom? that might fix your problem with burned dvds not playing in your standalone player.

and, of course, one can't change the booktype of dvd-rs.
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=7704
DVD-R bitsetting

Although you will understand that it's not possible to change the booktype field for DVD-R discs there still excists a DVD-R bitsetting. Some claim that this increases the compatibility but this has not been independently confirmed by anyone and as it's technically impossible to change the booktype field it will still be possible for the hardware to find out that a disc is a DVD-R. The booktype setting for DVD-R discs seems to be based on a workaround that has not been proven to be working.

According to Michael Spath who studies both the +R and -R format and is known as an expert on technical DVD recording issues; "the trick is based on the fact that some drives read the booktype from the last border-in and not from the lead-in. Therefore if you create a second session on the disc you will create after the first session a new border-in, where you should normally copy the informations from the lead-in (including
the book type). With this trick, you instead write a DVD-ROM booktype in this second session, which violates the - standard. Also drives which read the booktype from the lead-in will not be fooled by this method (eg. some Pioneer drives". An intresting discussion about this can be found here. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=98294&highlight=DVD-R+bitsetting.

DVD-R bitsetting

Although you will understand that it's not possible to change the booktype field for DVD-R discs there still excists a DVD-R bitsetting. Some claim that this increases the compatibility but this has not been independently confirmed by anyone and as it's technically impossible to change the booktype field it will still be possible for the hardware to find out that a disc is a DVD-R. The booktype setting for DVD-R discs seems to be based on a workaround that has not been proven to be working.

According to Michael Spath who studies both the +R and -R format and is known as an expert on technical DVD recording issues; "the trick is based on the fact that some drives read the booktype from the last border-in and not from the lead-in. Therefore if you create a second session on the disc you will create after the first session a new border-in, where you should normally copy the informations from the lead-in (including
the book type). With this trick, you instead write a DVD-ROM booktype in this second session, which violates the - standard. Also drives which read the booktype from the lead-in will not be fooled by this method (eg. some Pioneer drives". An intresting discussion about this can be found here. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=98294&highlight=DVD-R+bitsetting.

Yeah. You need very specific drives, and this post sums up the issue nicely: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=615689&postcount=37

Last edited:
Wendysue is using TDK 16x dvd-rs from Costco (which should typically be avoided),
and, of course, one can't change the booktype of dvd-rs.
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=7704

I don't care where TDK was made or by who. They give me trouble every time. If you have to buy cheap try the Sony brand they are always on sale somewhere. If you can afford it use Verbatim they cost more, but if you are doing the burning, they will give you better results.:agree:

If you can afford it use Verbatim they cost more, but if you are doing the burning, they will give you better results.:agree:

Verbatim media is on special quite regularly at Best Buy and Office Max. They usually run about $15 for 50 pks on special. I got 200, at Office max, last week for under $25 w/coupon.

Last edited:
Verbatim media is on special quite regularly at Best Buy and Office Max. They usually run about $15 for 50 pks on special. I got 200, at Office max, last week for under $25 w/coupon.

I thought I was doing good. I buy from Meriline for $32.00 per 100. 200 for $25.00, where did you find the coupon? Is that good for both DVD-R and DVD+R? Have ever found any good deals on Verbatim DVD+R DLs?

I thought I was doing good. I buy from Meriline for $32.00 per 100. 200 for $25.00, where did you find the coupon? Is that good for both DVD-R and DVD+R? Have ever found any good deals on Verbatim DVD+R DLs?

Coupon. The 100 pk. sale would end today and I doubt that you would find any in stock. It was $22.99 per 100 pk. and I used the coupon for an additional $10 off.
Yes, the sales always include + Rand -R. You might want to check BB and OM sale bills tomorrow but the sales are usually spaced a week or so apart.
I have seen some "decent" prices on D/L Verbatims at Newegg.

Ofice Max will have 100 pk Verbatim +R and -R for $24.99 starting 9-16-07.
Use the COUPON for an additional $10 off.
They will also have the "new" Verbatims for $14.99 a 50pk.

The cheap ones at walmart seem to work great for me

Same here... my $18 Wal-Mart special plays some burns that hork on my "good" DVD player.
It's not always the burned disc or the player at fault, sometimes the rip to PC has a fault. Garbage in = garbage out.

-W

Last edited:
I have about 6 of the grey or silver cheapies from Wal-Mart, and they work awesome. I think one name brand was Cyberhome and some of them are Magnavox. I never spend over $33 for a DVD player now.

Back