• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ad Astra snafu

testiles

UHD Guru
Hey guys!

I always have the AnyDVD Blu-Ray setting "Remove video sequences shorter than..." set to 30 seconds to skip over the short-duration junk info they put on discs when I play movies.

The setting works extremely well. But for the first time in a VERY long time, this setting caused a disc to not play at all, Ad Astra.

If it's ON, you only get a black screen when you load the disc.

Plays fine with the setting OFF.

My workaround (so I don't have to toggle that setting just to watch this movie) was to turn the setting OFF and create a backup folder of the movie with CloneBD for viewing. Ofc, I let CloneBD remove all the garbage titles under 30 seconds.

So I'm good --- but I thought the developers might want to know there's some issue here.

Log file attached.

The log file is from beta release 8.4.2.1, but 8.4.3.0 exhibits the same behavior.

T

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.2.1_Info_F_AD_ASTRA_0C3DB047_B22D05FD.ziplog
    310.2 KB · Views: 4
No, that's "expected" behavior. The thing is, anydvd removes by your request all clips shorter than the length you specify. The problem is that it removes ALL those clips, and some of those clips in your problem are required for proper transition to start playback. Anydvd unfortunately doesn't know that, it removes either all of them or none.

The good way is what you did as a "workaround". CloneBD doesn't really remove them, it replaces them by 1 frame long clips i believe. That way the proper playlists can still load the clips they're referencing (trailers etc), it's just WHAT they load has been modified. instead of a trailer, it now loads a 1frame long clip which quickly transitions to the next playlist.

Using CloneBD is really the better way here, i always use that myself.

No, that's "expected" behavior. The thing is, anydvd removes by your request all clips shorter than the length you specify. The problem is that it removes ALL those clips, and some of those clips in your problem are required for proper transition to start playback. Anydvd unfortunately doesn't know that, it removes either all of them or none.

I dunno, Ch3vron. I haven't had this problem with that setting in maybe 7 or 8 years of use.

It's true the disc starts off with an 11-second 20th Century Fox logo display that seems to need to be there, but I've got other Fox release that have the same opening splash -- and AnyDVD is smart enough to leave that in even though it's under 30 seconds.

For example, The Martian, X-Men Dark Phoenix, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Breakthrough all have that same splash, and AnyDVD leaves it in and navigates the movie fine with the setting on.

So I'm not sure why it trips up on this particular movie.

The good way is what you did as a "workaround". CloneBD doesn't really remove them, it replaces them by 1 frame long clips i believe. That way the proper playlists can still load the clips they're referencing (trailers etc), it's just WHAT they load has been modified. instead of a trailer, it now loads a 1frame long clip which quickly transitions to the next playlist.

I noticed that about CloneBD and, you're right, that's why it almost always handles these situations with success.

But I backup too many movies to run CloneBD for each and every one. That's why just for those short clips I rely on AnyDVD --- which is successful 99.9% of the time.

Guess this movie is in the remaining .01% (lol).

T

It's true the disc starts off with an 11-second 20th Century Fox logo display that seems to need to be there, but I've got other Fox release that have the same opening splash -- and AnyDVD is smart enough to leave that in even though it's under 30 seconds.

For example, The Martian, X-Men Dark Phoenix, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Breakthrough all have that same splash, and AnyDVD leaves it in and navigates the movie fine with the setting on.

So I'm not sure why it trips up on this particular movie.

Could be due to a difference in the authoring of the disc. I tried it a few times when that function first came out, and i've only had problems with it. I think i only used/tried it a handful of times. After that i stopped using it due to "too much problems". Then i stopped. As soon as CloneBD came out and had that same function, i tried that. Even though it does do things "the right way", sometimes i've noticed that also seems to trip up the disc. When that happens i just "swallow the pill" and do a semi-full backup (aka partial copy, all playlists, but minus the unwanted audio/subs)

Try the other setting "remove annoying tailers and adverts". Maybe that'll do the trick. Different setting, similar function.

I tried it a few times when that function first came out, and i've only had problems with it. I think i only used/tried it a handful of times. After that i stopped using it due to "too much problems". Then i stopped.

Yeah, it was very iffy when it first came out. Or at least many, many years ago (10?) when I first started using it.

But over the years and releases, it has become VERY reliable.

(BTW, same thing for CloneBD itself.)

As I said, I'm pretty sure I haven't had a single title not work using it in at least 7 years.

CloneBD ... Even though it does do things "the right way", sometimes i've noticed that also seems to trip up the disc.

Ouch! Yes, I've had that happen too. :=)

But again MUCH less frequently than in CloneBD's early days.

Now, when I get CloneBD issues, it seems to come back to ScreenPass not being completely avoided.

So, not really a CloneBD problem...

Try the other setting "remove annoying tailers and adverts". Maybe that'll do the trick. Different setting, similar function.

I tried this and it "works".

Well, the title works as long as the "shorter than..." setting is off.

But the "adverts" setting retains way too many short titles that interfere with quick navigation around the disc.

So for me, until "shorter than..." can work with Ad Astra, the CloneBD folder is my best workaround.

T

As does AnyDVD, for many years.

Different setting, VERY different function. :)

As does AnyDVD, for many years.

Oh, ok.

Very good to know.

Different setting, VERY different function. :)

James, what does the advert setting do exactly?

That's a setting I normally keep unchecked - I guess because I felt it didn't do anything that "shorter than" wasn't already covering...

Perhaps you can explain why it wasn't working in this case? I've always used CLBD to do it.

I'm really curious why Ad Astra is different too.

I just hope it's not a harbinger for a new kind of Blu-Ray authoring from Fox that will regularly trip up the "shorter than" setting.

T

Oh, ok.

Very good to know.

James, what does the advert setting do exactly?

That's a setting I normally keep unchecked - I guess because I felt it didn't do anything that "shorter than" wasn't already covering...
"Right mouse button help" explains it.

"Right mouse button help" explains it.

Lol.

Don't now why I always forget that...

Yes, it does help. Seems like it works for clips connected to the Menu and "shorter than" works for all the other short clips.

But I'm not really sure what Menu clips it's referring too.

Can you maybe give an example of a clip that advert takes care of but shorter than does not?

Part of the reason I've kept it off is because it used to make a lot of my discs unplayable back when. I'm sure it's more effective by now, just trying to see if I really have a need for it.

T

Can you maybe give an example of a clip that advert takes care of but shorter than does not?
It will skip everything - even very long clips, 20 minute trailers - which is played before
1.) BDJ is started, if present
or
2.) Interactive input possible. For example a menu. A pop up menu.

This option is very old and has a misleading name. Sorry.

Once upon a time, there were Blu-ray discs which started with minutes of really annoying "how great Blu-ray is" or "Now available on Blu-ray!" or "Watch this in the Cinema" trailers. Before you reached the disc menu.

It will skip everything - even very long clips, 20 minute trailers - which is played before
or

Ah, I see.

Awesome!

Once upon a time, there were Blu-ray discs which started with minutes of really annoying "how great Blu-ray is" or "Now available on Blu-ray!" or "Watch this in the Cinema" trailers. Before you reached the disc menu.

I know exactly which ones you're talking about!

So annoying.

You don't find them much anymore though.

I was half expecting all that nonsense when UHD came out. Seen it on just a few off-the-beaten-track titles but really hardly at all.

I'll check this setting out now and see if it help in those situations when shorter than can't.

For example, when a string of trailers start the disc but you're not allowed use "Top Menu" or "Pop-up Menu" options.

How 'bout "Express Path to Menu". LOL.

T

or

I tried the setting with the original GhostBusters Blu-Ray, which starts off with an almost 2.5 minute advert about "Sony and High Definition Blu-Ray" that you can't get around.

Nothing changed when I activated it.

I think I'll leave it disabled for now.

T

I'm really curious why Ad Astra is different too.

I just hope it's not a harbinger for a new kind of Blu-Ray authoring from Fox that will regularly trip up the "shorter than" setting.

I sure hope this is not a prophetic statement.

But today I ran across another title just like Ad Astra (in that I can't play it unless I take off the "Shorter than..." setting).

It's Ready or Not and it's also Fox.

Logfile attached.

I still can use the CloneBD workaround - but one thing I noticed about CloneBD vs. AnyDVD setting...

James has already explained that both use the same method to get rid of the unwanted short titles, I think, which is to substitute short (maybe one second?) titles for those under-30-second clips you want to get rid of.

But when playing the results, AnyDVD breezes past these short clips so fast you really don't notice them (unless there is a long series of them) but the CloneBD folder seems to pause on each replaced segment - making the replacement obvious and taking longer to get past it.

I guess all I'm saying is, when I can't use "Shorter than", I sorely miss it (lol).

So getting "nervous" now that there are two examples...

Are more on the way??

T

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.4.0_Info_F_READY_OR_NOT_C3ABB1AC_9B047DB2.ziplog
    311.8 KB · Views: 0
Are more on the way??

Ran into a new one today.

Underwater, recently released.

Same situation: Fox title, shows black screen when "Remove video sequences shorter than... 30 seconds" is on.

Plays fine when it's turned off.

T

Ran into a new one today.

Underwater, recently released.

Same situation: Fox title, shows black screen when "Remove video sequences shorter than... 30 seconds" is on.

Plays fine when it's turned off.

T
That setting is known to cause problems on occasion. Sometimes there's small transition clips that are required for proper navigation, the thing is anydvd doesn't always know/detect that? And when they get removed it breaks navigation, don't think there's much that can be done other than disabling that anydvd setting, and remove the clips 'the right way' through CloneBD.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

That setting is known to cause problems on occasion.

On rare occasion, yes.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there's been a SUPER long stretch of years that I have used the setting without any problems at all.

But this particular issue now with Fox titles seems here to stay.

... don't think there's much that can be done other than disabling that anydvd setting, and remove the clips 'the right way' through CloneBD.

I found out that it's not an easy situation to fix, so yeah, I've continued to use CloneBD as the workaround as discussed earlier.

At this point, I'm just "documenting" which new Fox titles have this issue in the off-chance it's re-visited in the future. :=)

T

Back