• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[SOLVED] The Villainess

mbarnstijn

A relatively new Blu-ray, no screenpass or other protections noticed in the AnyDVD scan. But attempting playback results in a black screen -- actually, it looks like a logo (text or other symbol) is about to slide across the top of a black screen from right to left, so I'm assuming only the very first frame shows before everything stops.

Playback was with PowerDVD 17.0.2101.62 on Windows 7 Ultra x64, using the original disc (not a mounted ISO), using AnyDVD reset to default settings.

Log file attached.

--michael

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.3.0_Info_L_THE VILLAINESS_6ED53178_094471D4.ziplog
    153 KB · Views: 3
Black screen is usually screenpass, maybe this is a new variant that isn't detected yet. Pete will need to take a look. That said, you need to update your windows. You got less than a month left and then it's game over with ALL OS updates. Not even security updates anymore.

Thanks, @Ch3vr0n, that disc has only one playlist for the main movie, so it looks like something other than screenpass is going wrong. As you say, @Pete will need to look at it.

Thanks for the advice. I've already got a Win10 workstation with 10 times the speed, 8 times the memory and a dozen times the graphics power -- all waiting for some final software tweaks and installation of new versions of my favourite software including the moving of software authorizations. Then I need to move a specialty PCIe card from this old machine into the new one. Finally, I'll retire this old machine into a virtual image, to be run in isolation if I ever need data or registry/program settings that I forgot to move. I started the planning for this switch-over more than a year ago. It's all good!

Cheers,

--michael

Thanks, @Ch3vr0n, that disc has only one playlist for the main movie, so it looks like something other than screenpass is going wrong. As you say, @Pete will need to look at it.

Thanks for the advice. I've already got a Win10 workstation with 10 times the speed, 8 times the memory and a dozen times the graphics power -- all waiting for some final software tweaks and installation of new versions of my favourite software including the moving of software authorizations. Then I need to move a specialty PCIe card from this old machine into the new one. Finally, I'll retire this old machine into a virtual image, to be run in isolation if I ever need data or registry/program settings that I forgot to move. I started the planning for this switch-over more than a year ago. It's all good!

Cheers,

--michael

Rest in peace last gen computer! ;)

Thats good to hear!

i strongly recommend this portable application

Code:
https://www.d7xtech.com/uncle-careys-windows-10-optimizer/

Does all the proper tweaks, the right way. None of that windows 10 anti-spy crap that severely messes up windows interernals usually.

1 click, let it run, reboot, done

Windows 8.1 still has extended Windows Update support and Windows 10 still has support for updates still. Only Windows 7 updates support is ending in mid Jan. So that means not all Windows OS support is ending.

You misread the post. Nobody said ALL other windows versions were no longer getting support. I specifically said windows 7. jat I meant by 'ALL OS UPDATES' is that you have 2 types of windows updates.

Security updates and feature updates. Win7 wasn't getting feature updates anymore since a very long time, but it WAS still getting security updates. Now it won't get that anymore either.

Leaning ALL OS UPDATES for that specific os were over, not all updates for all other os's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

This thread drifted slightly off topic, but thanks for all the advice and support regarding Windows 7. :thankyou:

I'm a bit more interested in what's gone sideways with this Blu-ray's decryption, which I'm sure is also more interesting to @James or @Pete . :)

I'm a bit more interested in what's gone sideways with this Blu-ray's decryption, which I'm sure is also more interesting to @James or @Pete .

Ok, it's clearly not Screen Pass (no BD-J on this disc, it's a simple one).

Maybe AnyDVD is breaking something. In case you have an older installer - could you check if an older version of AnyDVD (maybe one major release back) works better? Then we'd have messed something up, since.
For me, could you create an ISO, mount that with Virtual Clone Drive and then let AnyDVD make a log file from the copy? Then I can see what AnyDVD modified on that disc.

But there's not much, that it touches. You don't seem to have any option enabled, that would modify contents of the disc other than decryption (and I'm prepared to bet anything on decryption being flawless).

I've been away at a conference for a few days.

I did reset all the AnyDVD settings to default, and verified that the problem still existed, before generating that log file. I will get to work on the debugging you suggest.

@Pete, I've got a feature request in the meantime: some way to backup and restore all the AnyDVD settings, so it's not so much work to return to my preferred settings after going back to defaults for this kind of debugging...

Cheers,

--michael

Last edited:
@Pete, You know what? I didn't do the sanity test: does PowerDVD play the original disc WITHOUT AnyDVD running. It doesn't! Same playback symptoms as reported in the first post. Also, what I thought was text or a logo about to slide across the screen was just a remnant of PowerDVD's temporary "playing disc" graphic that didn't get erased after I started playback.

I went back to AnyDVD 8.3.9.0 with default settings (except for region removal, which I set back to Always Ask) and that version certainly didn't help the playback in PowerDVD.

I re-installed AnyDVD and have created the logfile of the mounted ISO that you requested. It is attached.

I think it's possible this is an authoring problem of the disc. I can get playback on my Dune 4K Pro by choosing "Play Lite" and have already watched the movie that way. I'm not sure it's worth figuring out what the playback issue is here if PowerDVD can't play the movie without AnyDVD running. It could be something wrong with my system: I updated my PowerDVD 17 installation about a week before this. But it's the only disc I've had that didn't play properly. I will reboot my computer later today (can't do it now as some long term computing is ongoing) and see if that fixes anything.

Cheers,

--michael

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.3.0_Info_E_THE VILLAINESS_6ED53178_00000000.ziplog
    139.2 KB · Views: 2
OK, yes, I'm pretty sure, there's something wrong with the authoring.

@Pete.

We are both wrong -- but to be fair to you, I put the idea of bad authoring in your head.

After a reboot of my system, PowerDVD plays the disc just fine with AnyDVD running. I did take a new log of the disc with the same version of AnyDVD as the logfile of the first post in this thread. I'm curious if it shows anything different...

--michael

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.3.0_Info_L_THE VILLAINESS_6ED53178_094471D4.ziplog
    151.3 KB · Views: 1
Back