• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SSD hard drive

Craig A Cardinal

I am getting a new computer, is it still necessary to have an external hard drive to put temporary files on now that the hard drive is solid-state. I know I did that with the old HDD hard drives because I didn't want to mess up the main hard drive with all the extra use. Thank you

Necessary no, never was. The SSD will be faster than USB will allow, for nvme at least. Don't know our of the top my my head if data SSD is faster than USB 2 or 3.

But ssd's have a 'max life' too, called 'total bytes written' (which varies per drive model). But it'll take a while for an average user to hit that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Most modern SSDs can take around 400 Terabites written before they start exhibiting failure symptoms. Therefore, even if you manage to write 100Gb every day, you’d still be looking at 10 years before you reach 400Tb. I bought a Samsung 840 Pro SSD six years ago and with approximately 6 hours of home use every day it has a total of 21Tb written so far. Well short of 400Tb.

Most modern SSDs can take around 400 Terabites written before they start exhibiting failure symptoms. Therefore, even if you manage to write 100Gb every day, you’d still be looking at 10 years before you reach 400Tb. I bought a Samsung 840 Pro SSD six years ago and with approximately 6 hours of home use every day it has a total of 21Tb written so far. Well short of 400Tb.
Actually the MTBF ( Mean Time Before Failure) on the Samsung 840 Pro is 1,500,000hours which converts to 171 years. https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-840-pro-ssd/specs/

I literally upgraded my boot SSD today from a 512gb 960 pro to a 1tb 970 evo plus. They don't use MTBF anymore. Now it's 'Total Bytes Written', at least when it comes to warranty. 5 years or tbw, in my case it's 600 for the 1tb 970 evo.

I had the 960 approximately 2 years now I think at it only had 46tb written. Upgrading due to lack of space is a far more likely scenario then a dying SSD.

I literally upgraded my boot SSD today from a 512gb 960 pro to a 1tb 970 evo plus. They don't use MTBF anymore. Now it's 'Total Bytes Written', at least when it comes to warranty. 5 years or tbw, in my case it's 600 for the 1tb 970 evo.

I had the 960 approximately 2 years now I think at it only had 46tb written. Upgrading due to lack of space is a far more likely scenario then a dying SSD.

I think you are mistaken . The Gen4 Corsair SP600 is the latest and greatest look at the specs. https://www.newegg.com/corsair-forc...lgb_DaLuzhVe-YNZOY4aAroiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Max Sequential Read
Up to 4950 MBps
Max Sequential Write
Up to 2500 MBps
4KB Random Read
Up to 420,000 IOPS
4KB Random Write
Up to 550,000 IOPS
MTBF
1,700,000 hours

HeatSink
Yes

Hmm, well it is a different brand. You're right, maybe Corsair used mtbf and Samsung uses tbw. Who said they all had to use the same definitions .

But personally I think that does make it a little harder for buyers to differentiate between various models.

Hmm, well it is a different brand. You're right, maybe Corsair used mtbf and Samsung uses tbw. Who said they all had to use the same definitions .

But personally I think that does make it a little harder for buyers to differentiate between various models.

Samsung 970 Pro https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-...re=Samsung_970_PRO_SSD-_-20-147-693-_-Product
512MB LPDDR4 DRAM
Performance
Max Sequential Read
Up to 3500 MBps
Max Sequential Write
Up to 2300 MBps
4KB Random Read
QD32: Up to 370,000 IOPS
QD1: Up to 15,000 IOPS
4KB Random Write
QD32: Up to 500,000 IOPS
QD1: Up to 55,000 IOPS
MTBF
1,500,000 hours

If you go to the Samsung website, in their blurbs at the top, they talk about TBW:
The ultimate in performance, upgraded. Faster than the 970 EVO, the 970 EVO Plus is powered by the latest V-NAND technology and firmware optimization. It maximizes the potential of NVMe bandwidth for unbeatable computing. Comes in capacities of up to 1TB, with reliability of up to 600 TBW.
If you go all the way to the bottom to the View All Specs, it shows:
Reliability (MTBF)
1.5 Million Hours Reliability (MTBF)

https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...ssd-970-evo-plus-nvme-m-2-1-tb-mz-v7s1t0b-am/

Back