• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD DVD...shafted?

SamuriHL

UHD Guru
Well, here's an "unintended consequence" of HD DVD being region free...

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...spray_on_Blu-ray_HD_DVD_to_Follow_in_2008/958

The studio confirmed to the industry trades Video Business and Home Media Magazine on Tuesday that it will bow the $110 million-plus domestic grosser on November 20, day-and-date on Blu-ray and standard-def DVD. An HD DVD edition will follow sometime "in early 2008," though no exact street date has been set.

Although New Line's dual-format support had long been expected, its staggered release of 'Hairspray' on HD DVD came as a surprise. Lasorsa attributed the delay to HD DVD's current lack of region coding.

This had better not become a trend...

Basically, exclusivity agreements for distributionrights are involved. But all in all, I consider this against fair trade & what about all the titles that aren't released locally yet - some even never will be! Just compare the offering of Blu Ray and HD DVD in Europe, it's ridiculous compared to the amount of US titles available...

I consider it ridiculous. I mean, after all, isn't that why Slysoft says HD DVD is better than Blu-ray? No region coding. Well, if this is the result of that, then I don't see it as a benefit at ALL. The reason, in case you're not aware, is that in the international markets movies tend to be lagging behind US releases. So a movie that's coming out on DVD(or whatever) in the US may not have even hit the theater yet in other countries. If they release a region free HD DVD, then what's to stop people in those countries from ordering the HD DVD and skipping the theatrical release? So, their natural reaction is to wait until it's hit all the theaters before releasing the region free HD DVD. Wonderful...that's just GREAT. What a benefit...:/

I consider it ridiculous. I mean, after all, isn't that why Slysoft says HD DVD is better than Blu-ray? No region coding. Well, if this is the result of that, then I don't see it as a benefit at ALL. The reason, in case you're not aware, is that in the international markets movies tend to be lagging behind US releases. So a movie that's coming out on DVD(or whatever) in the US may not have even hit the theater yet in other countries. If they release a region free HD DVD, then what's to stop people in those countries from ordering the HD DVD and skipping the theatrical release? So, their natural reaction is to wait until it's hit all the theaters before releasing the region free HD DVD. Wonderful...that's just GREAT. What a benefit...:/
Don't worry. This will likely be the exception, maybe it is even a silly excuse.
They want to earn money from the home video market. The earlier they release, the more money they'll get. Very simple. In the end an US distributor gives a damn if the movie hasn't been released in Europe, Japan, China, ...

Don't worry. This will likely be the exception, maybe it is even a silly excuse.
They want to earn money from the home video market. The earlier they release, the more money they'll get. Very simple. In the end an US distributor gives a damn if the movie hasn't been released in Europe, Japan, China, ...

I hope so, because if this becomes a trend rather than an exception, it's going to seriously p!$$ me off. And it will damage HD DVD's reputation, as well. Average Joe Consumer: "Well, why the hell would I buy HD DVD when the releases are 4-6 months AFTER the Blu-ray?" Yea, that seems rather ludicrous on the surface, but, really, it's not so far fetched. Region coding is supposed to benefit the consumer, not hurt us.

I hope so, because if this becomes a trend rather than an exception, it's going to seriously p!$$ me off.
Don't worry. I have been quite a good oracle in the past, my crystal ball works pretty good... 8)

Don't worry. I have been quite a good oracle in the past, my crystal ball works pretty good... 8)

Here's hoping. As it is I'm going to be pressured to get that Hairspray movie on Blu-ray by the family when it comes out. Maybe I can convince them to let me rent it on Blu-ray and then we'll buy it on HD DVD when it's released next year.

Here's hoping. As it is I'm going to be pressured to get that Hairspray movie on Blu-ray by the family when it comes out. Maybe I can convince them to let me rent it on Blu-ray and then we'll buy it on HD DVD when it's released next year.

Go buy the original, this one was awful compared to that

Go buy the original, this one was awful compared to that

I'm afraid that's not my choice. :) I have a 15 year old daughter, a wife, and a sister in law that are "requesting" (demanding?? :)) to see the new one. They were mad cause I didn't take them to see it in the theater. So, I'm hoping renting it from Netflix on Blu-ray will be satisfactory until it comes out on HD DVD. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll all hate it so I don't have to buy it. :D

Probably some stupid distribution agreement they have in place. Here, Hairspray is only in its 3 week in the theater. On the other hand, "Hot Fuzz" only comes out in the theater here on the 26th of september .... while the HD-DVD has been out in the US since end of july.

F

Probably some stupid distribution agreement they have in place. Here, Hairspray is only in its 3 week in the theater. On the other hand, "Hot Fuzz" only comes out in the theater here on the 26th of september .... while the HD-DVD has been out in the US since end of july.

F

Yea, that's what I think they're afraid of. If the people start importing the HD DVD's instead of going to the theater to see them, studios perceive a loss of income. (real or imagined is another whole debate on this one). I just worry that the studios see the lack of region coding as a "mistake" and punish HD DVD as a result. James says I should relax but we'll see. I just want the format to succeed.

You know, I could really seeing Hairspray turning the format war- like the Matrix really launched DVD :disagree::D

You know, I could really seeing Hairspray turning the format war- like the Matrix really launched DVD :disagree::D

Ok, that comment made me LOL. :) Yea, I realize it's not a format seller, but, if you had a wife and 15 year old daughter, you'd understand.

Ok, that comment made me LOL. :) Yea, I realize it's not a format seller, but, if you had a wife and 15 year old daughter, you'd understand.

LOL. Yes, it can be worse if it's a wife and daughter, for sure, but, in general, if you are involved with any female you who really really wants to see a certain movie as soon as possible you are in trouble unless you oblige regardless of the possible reasons why waiting might be wiser when looking at the big picture.

No offense meant toward women, btw. I love women! :D I'm just speaking from experience.

[Sarcasm]

Women run the world while quietly laughing to themselves and letting men think we are the ones in charge. ;)

[/Sarcasm]

With the above said I don't know how well the release system will go with BD-DVD releases. I recently read an article about even Sony releasing HD-DVD titles. Interesting, indeed. It mainly discussed European sales of movies. And, there is, of course, the issue of Blu-Ray Exlcusive movies being somewhat of a lie with many such exclusive releases being available on HD-DVD, as well. Now they may have different bonus features than the HD-DVD release but to me that is hardly worthy of the label Blu-Ray Exlcusive.

Last edited:
And unfortunately for me, I've spent the better part of the last 10 years convincing my wife that new technology is good. So now, "plain old DVD" just doesn't cut it. She wants movie theater quality experience. That was the deal we made when I got the tv...she got to watch movie theater quality movies from now on. DVD looks decent enough upscaled on the PS3, but, my wife can tell the difference thanks to my constant pushing of technology over the years. sigh. :) [ROCK] me [HARD PLACE]

And unfortunately for me, I've spent the better part of the last 10 years convincing my wife that new technology is good. So now, "plain old DVD" just doesn't cut it. She wants movie theater quality experience. That was the deal we made when I got the tv...she got to watch movie theater quality movies from now on. DVD looks decent enough upscaled on the PS3, but, my wife can tell the difference thanks to my constant pushing of technology over the years. sigh. :) [ROCK] me [HARD PLACE]

Tsk tsk. ;) Sometimes teaching someone about the wonders of newer technology comes back to seriously bite you in the butt. Welcome to Murphy's Law. ;)

Yea, there is that. But, you'll note that I have an HDTV AND HD DVD and Blu-ray. So, really, it's not all bad. ;) Next year I want to get a new receiver that supports HDMI so I can get better audio support. That'll be fun.

I consider it ridiculous. I mean, after all, isn't that why Slysoft says HD DVD is better than Blu-ray? No region coding. Well, if this is the result of that, then I don't see it as a benefit at ALL.
I don't know abotu Slysoft, but the "technical" details of both discs are fairly neutral when it comes to what differences consumers will actually notice or care about, but those thing that do matter are in HD-DVD's favour. 1. No region coding. 2. More special features (short term). 3. No BD+ (mandtory updates every 18 months at consumer's expence). 4. Cheaper players, and slightly cheaper discs (short term?) and 5. More reliable discs (long term) - unless of course you prefer BD's all-wonderful "hard-coating", which is nothing more then a film of protection so thin that you'd have to stack about 20 of them just to reach the height of the width of human hair - yeah real "reliable".

It's not surprising that region coding is going to hold release dates back for HD-DVD, at least for a while - however, I refuse to be any part of it. Look what happened when I sold a Region 1 DVD on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130151626012

I posted it quickly, the disc has no scratches - works perfectly - and every retailer in Australia that sells DVD players has the region-free codes (unless the player is region-free out of the box). I even put this in my listing: This is the US version, Region 1 NTSC - a multiregion DVD player is required to view this movie. - and what do I get? Look at my feedback - I got neutral feedback because the buyer was uneducated and couldn't play it on their system (she didn't even bother to comunicate first or anything either - I mean if my listing was somehow "deceptive" I'd like to know about it!)

So there you are, I'm a victim of region coding. I have no delusions - I know that region-free BD players will inevitably become available, but that doesn't mean I have to buy a format that supports artifical market segmentation.
The reason, in case you're not aware, is that in the international markets movies tend to be lagging behind US releases.
Yes, but not your general Hollywood "blockbusters", for instance the Spiderman 3 DVD was released here in Australia 6-weeks prior to the US release. The real reason behind region coding is to artifically control market prices - why else put Australia in region "B"? They know we have a much cheaper DVD market then America...

But it could still be cheaper.

I completely agree with all that you've said. Region coding is NOT helpful to consumers. It is 100% about market control. Unfortunately, they still haven't learned the lesson that consumers would rather not have it. HD DVD tried, but, now we have to wait for an "international" release. GREAT...

Back