• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Windows 10 1909 (November Update)

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
Betanews: Microsoft is blocking the Windows 10 November 2019 Update on systems with certain Realtek Bluetooth drivers

Some drivers for Realtek Bluetooth radios are casing compatibility issues with Windows 10 November 2019 Update, leading Microsoft to block the update on affected systems.

In an online help document Microsoft explains that it has "identified compatibility issues with some driver versions for Bluetooth radios made by Realtek". The company goes on to explain: "You will need to update to driver version 1.5.1012 or later to remove this safeguard hold. Any earlier version of the driver is affected by this issue".

This is the same issue that previously affected people trying to install the Windows 10 May 2019 Feature Update (Windows 10, version 1903) and Windows 10 October 2018 Update (Windows 10, version 1809). The easiest solution is to simply check Windows Update for newer version of the Bluetooth drivers before trying to update Windows 10 itself, but this may not work for everyone.

Microsoft also provides fairly lengthy instructions for manually updating drivers if, for some reason, it is not possible to automatically update them...

I updated to 1909 from 1803 four days ago. It is the smoothest update experience that I've ever experienced when it comes to Windows.

I used HeiDoc.net Windows and ISO Downloader (https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool) to grab the 1909 ISO from Microsoft's servers, then used Rufus (https://rufus.ie/) to create a USB installation stick, and ran the installer from the USB while still in Windows 1803. Note: Initially I planned on booting to the USB and updating but the installer informed me that I couldn't upgrade my Windows installation that way so I booted back into Windows and then ran the installer from the USB stick. 30-45 minutes later I was back into Windows 1909 without running into any problems.

Note: My Bluetooth hardware is from Broadcom so I wasn't impacted by the Realtek issue.

Note 2: I realize that Microsoft has their own official Media Creation Tool but I find it obnoxious, messy, and doesn't give you the option of which version of Windows 10 you actually want to download.

Last edited:
45 min's? I did that same upgrade yesterday, and I was back in windows in 5 minutes. Difference with mine time, is i was running build 1903 before. Apparently running 1903 lets the 1909 build install (from the windows update channel) sort of like a minor download and update. Took me around 5 minutes to download, install, reboot twice and be back in windows :)

How's that for smooth :D

Still grabbed the 1909 full iso with that same tool though :)

45 min's? I did that same upgrade yesterday, and I was back in windows in 5 minutes. Difference with mine time, is i was running build 1903 before. Apparently running 1903 lets the 1909 build install (from the windows update channel) sort of like a minor download and update. Took me around 5 minutes to download, install, reboot twice and be back in windows :)

How's that for smooth :D

Still grabbed the 1909 full iso with that same tool though :)
Did the same thing ;)

As with most big Windows updates the install process appears to hang for periods at certain points. Obviously, if you look at HDD activity that is definitely not the case. Given my jumping from 1803 to 1909 I am sure that there was a whole lot going on during the process. Minimal reboots. Three total, I believe.

Personally, I am not a fan of the WU method for big upgrades. In the past I've found it more finicky. Much prefer to have installation media of some kind and manually run it.

The download tool is definitely handy. My next clean install of Windows 10 will be pre-1607 and then an update to the latest version so I can sidestep the driver signing issues that clean installs of 1607 and later added. Reference: Windows 10 Version 1607 driver signing changes.

Or you could just disable secure boot, won't affect you either then. Nr 2, from your own link ,

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Or you could just disable secure boot, won't affect you either then. Nr 2, from your own link ,

After numerous situations where driver signing posed a problem I did grudgingly disable Secure Boot but I never considered that an acceptable solution. I want the option. Nonetheless, I can resolve that next time around with a clean install.

Last edited:
1909 wasn't a real update / upgrade. Microsucks just switched some functions on that were disabled in 1903.

The upcoming 20H1 update for Windows 10 will reportedly be completed a bit sooner than expected. According to new information from Windows Central, the 20H1 update may go RTM as soon as December.

“It was marked as feature-complete internally back in August, and Microsoft has been mostly focused on fixing up bugs and polishing the OS for release ever since,” explained Zac Bowden from Windows Central. “This is why Insiders have not seen any substantial new features in 20H1 builds for a couple of months, because the 20H1 release is done. We’ve got a month or so left of development before Microsoft signs-off on 20H1 in mid-December.”

This December completion date is apparently the result of the recent realignment of the Azure/Windows 10 development cycles, as it was reported earlier this year by ZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley. This change is the reason why we got to test 20H1 bits so early this year, and also why the upcoming November update (19H2) will be minor release instead of a proper feature update like 20H1.

Last edited:
Hmmm... went to boot a VM in VMware Player and ran into issues with Device Guard/Credential Guard that I've never had before updating to 1909. Booted into UEFI and found that I can't disable Secure Boot. I used to be able to not sure when that changed...

Now I have to figure out what I have to do to get a VM running without knowing anything about this stuff.

VMware Info on this: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

Last edited:
Can you set the boot type to 'other os'?
Perhaps you need to enable 'virtualisation' in the bios for VMware

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Can you set the boot type to 'other os'?
Perhaps you need to enable 'virtualisation' in the bios for VMware

When I checked the UEFI it was set to Other OS but I can no longer disable Secure Boot which I most definitely did in the past. I played around with changing to Other OS and/or disabling Secure Boot back during this time period: ElbyCDIO 6.1.2.0 driver update . Later on I wound up disabling it and leaving it disabled... or so I thought. Maybe I just switched to Other OS but I could still disable Secure Boot. I've never had issues until now. Meh. Pretty sure I have Virtualization stuff enabled in the UEFI but I'll have to dive back in and look.

See this. Older versions of VMWare are blocked by some Windows update file for unknown reasons. This is the way I resolved it for my PC .
https://www.tenforums.com/virtualiz...rkstation-pro-cant-run-windows-message-3.html

Thanks for the link. I'll have to do some reading there. This information discussed there is different than the knowledge base article.

I'm running literally the latest update which is VMware Player 15.5.1.15018445 which is digitally signed November 4, 2019. There is no newer version. So, Microsoft says it's VMware's fault and VMware's Knowledge Base article links to Microsoft's site on how to disable Device Guard/Credential Guard. I'm hesitant given the directions involved and my lack of knowledge when it comes to this stuff. Lovely.

I've been running 1909 for quite a while now from slow ring to RTM. They fixed a bunch of stuff they broke in 1903. This was the "oops, we done bad" build. LMAO I'm not honestly looking forward to 20h1 for my HTPC. I am on my laptop from a developer perspective with WSL2. Hope you get your VM issue resolved. Great times.

My update to 1909 went faster than any other update I have ever downloaded and installed, and its very stable.

@RedFox 1
I have the same experience with desktop computers as you and I also consider it to be exclusively stable until I wondered at the laptops

I use File Explorer search a LOT. It used to be:

1. type what you are searching for, example ".exe" (without the quotes). No need to press return/enter.

2. after the search is done press the down arrow key and then you can navigate in the found items.

Now you have to press enter/return before the search starts, and have to press tab to access the found items. Using the arrow key changes what folder is highlighted on the folder tree in the left pane.

Other than that very minor annoyance 1909 has been an improvement for me. Stable with no overt major changes to how the UI works.

Hope you get your VM issue resolved. Great times.

Resolved the issue. If you want to use VMware Player or VirtualBox you can't also have Windows Sandbox installed/enabled under Windows. By default Windows Sandbox is not an installed feature. I disabled/uninstalled the feature and the problem vanished.

With the above being said, the error messages from VMware Player & VirtualBox were not the same and neither pointed to the actual problem.

Last edited:
Back