• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Safe Dumping Of ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 Firmware

DVD Maniac

Hi All,
Using this great forum I have been able to deal with this new pesky 3.10 Firmware on the ASUS BW-16D1HT. But I would also like to dump the factory version as a backup just in case on another drive I just purchased. Back in the day with 3.01 / 3.02 I used the DOSFLASH method with a dual boot XP PC. I have read a lot of discussions on whether DOSFLASH now works with the 3.10 version. If so, is there a safe way to dump the firmware before cross flashing with the modified ASUS Flasher?

Dosflash has been disabled on these new firmware versions. There is really no need to backup the firmware, however, because the windows patched flashers do not modify the unique parts of the firmware. Just flash what you want using one of the windows flashers and you should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dosflash has been disabled on these new firmware versions. There is really no need to backup the firmware, however, because the windows patched flashers do not modify the unique parts of the firmware. Just flash what you want using one of the windows flashers and you should be good to go.

Many Thanks for this and along the lines I already thought. The only slight niggle is the "W" word. What happens when you have a genuine drive failure under Warranty? Surely they check the installed Firmware and if they see its been modified that's goodbye Warranty claim?

No idea but if the drive is dead enough that you can't flash it back to what it shipped with its unlikely they're going to take the time to rip it apart to find out what's on it. Just because the laser dies, which is the most common warranty requirement, doesn't mean you can't flash the drive.

No idea but if the drive is dead enough that you can't flash it back to what it shipped with its unlikely they're going to take the time to rip it apart to find out what's on it. Just because the laser dies, which is the most common warranty requirement, doesn't mean you can't flash the drive.

Yep I see your point. I have personally never had to claim on one so I guess i'm OK. ASUS seem to have a good reputation for build quality vs LG etc so all sorted. Thanks for your advice.

There's a way to dump to its firmware. But you won't be able to make backup of the whole original factory shipped firmware itself.
Mainly your drive's most specific important thing like drive own unique signature encryption,
would be along it.
(just the old original factory main-firmware-part outside the encryption area would NOT get into the backup, instead the exchanged downgraded part in this outer area)

The patched Asus LG flasher allow to flash the 3.10 from Mike's MArty Mac Nuts's Asus MK-firmware pack.

After flashing the 3.10 modded Asus BW-16D1HT firmware, there's still blocked Access for most EEPROM tools.
Then with the 3.10 MK firmware, it get (un)blocked to flash the lower "DE 3.02" versions at least for the patched LG/Asus flasher tools.
Then you downgrade to a 3.02De version of your model.

The LG/asus patched flashers will not overwrite the unique's drive's encryption signature.
The most important firmware parts, are not touched by the LG/Asus tools, when downgrading to e.g. a lower version.

The lower DE_3.02 versions restore access for other Tools.
SamuriHL, others and me don't recommend to use Dosflash,
if you don't know what you're doing.

Using Dosflash in (READ-MODE) is possible to read out the EEPROM's content, when the DE_3.02 firmware is on it.
But this will only possible to do, if you have a computer which supports SATA-Port in IDE-mode (not AHCI) and Legacy/BIOS-Mode
--
If you have compatible mainboard, and you know what you're doing, download Dosflash 1.7 for DOS version.

This is principially obselete guide mattering to use safer tools, when it comes to flashing firmwares (write mode - dangerous!)
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/dumping-downgrading-firmware-on-uhd-friendly-devices.74479/
At first post from Teddy, there's Dosflash_1.7 attached (DOS version)

Make Dos/FreeDOS bootable key, copy the Dosflash 1.7 files on it.
Reboot computer, change firmware setting to Legacy/BIOS/CSM/(UEFI-Boot (DIS)abled -Mode) and switch SATA to IDE-Mode
Boot Freedos/DOS

Open Dosflash typing: dosflash.exe
But DO NOT do anything more here!
Find out at which (hex-code) SATA-port-number Dosflash lists your drive:

Exit Dosflash with STRG + C ! ( CTRL + C )

DO NOT USE Dosflash in write mode. It will overwrite whole EEPROM and destroy your drive's firmware. You won't able to recover it, without valid complete Backup-dump from it, as drive it has its own unique drive's encryption signature etc.

Code:
Dosflash.exe R CC00 1 A0 2 0 20 16D_BCK.BIN 0
R = Read mode

Replace the "CC00" with the actual hex code number (4 digits) of your SATA port number, Dosflash lists for your drive being connected to.

The SATA-ports are grouped in 2er-groups.
1st SATA-port of a SATA-port-2er-group is a master. (SATA port nr. 0, 2, 4)
2nd SATA-port of a SATA-port-2er-group is a slave (SATA port nr. 1, 3, 5)
If your drive is at a 2nd SATA-port of a SATA-port-2-er group, replace the "A0" from the command example with "B0"

Do the read-out a second time, and save to a different file name, and compare both files later that they are identical.

Copy 16D_BCK.BIN to a safe location and rename it e.g.
in this format Asus_BW-16D1HT_FW_3.02DE_SN_XXXXXXXXXXXX_Backup_Dump_Dosflash.BIN
Replace SN_XXXXXXXXXXX with the serial number of the unit.
If have made several baclups from e.g. different samples from same model, so that you don't mix up s.th.

by TeddyRaspin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:58 am
- W for writing, R for reading, E for erasing
- Port (F0D0 or F0B0 in my case)
- Port Type (1 For SATA)
- Master or Slave (A0 for Master, B0 for Slave)
- MTK Type (2 for 0x72)
- Flash Type (0 for normal handling or 1 is the same)
- Flash Size (20 as 20 in hex value is 32 in decimal, as MT1939/MT1959 eeprom has 32 banks)
- Flash OPCode (C7 if you're using the E command for erasing eeprom)
- Filename (required if you use the W or R command)
- Nforce fix (Put 0 for NO)

The backuped drive's firmware, by Dosflash in (READ-MODE!), , would be a valid backup-dump, yes,
(if it's from a firmware which was downgraded from original factory firmwarte, NO MORE than downgraded to 3.02 and/or middle step by a compatible-mk firmware by the LG/Asus flashers ealier, to get also backup-capability back!) would still be a valid backup-dump, yes.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19250&start=15
TeddyRaspin post_id=73174 time=1554883139 user_id=22412 said:
Some little steps forward :
- When you use the Asus ODD Flasher (modified) to downgrade unit, DOSFLASH still doesn't work, i.e. the MTK Vendor Intro Failed error is still present.
- In order to be able to dump the downgraded unit, you have to power off PC and boot again. In this way DOSFLASH works for me.
Another solution is :
- Downgrade your unit to an older firmware (in my case I have 2 BH16NS55 and I've flashed their original firmware 1.02).
- Reboot and boot from an USB Stick (FreeDos with Rufus).
- Use the latest Dosflash version 2.0 and type DOSFLASH. Even if it reports "MTK Vendor Intro failed", write down the SATA port (in my case 0xF0D0 and 0xF0B0).
Now write :
DOSFLASH /? and press 1 for flash commands. It will show the whole manual syntax you have to use in order to interrogate unit.
Commands are :
- W for writing, R for reading, E for erasing
- Port (F0D0 or F0B0 in my case)
- Port Type (1 For SATA)
- Master or Slave (A0 for Master, B0 for Slave)
- MTK Type (2 for 0x72)
- Flash Type (0 for normal handling or 1 is the same)
- Flash Size (20 as 20 in hex value is 32 in decimal, as MT1939/MT1959 eeprom has 32 banks)
- Flash OPCode (C7 if you're using the E command for erasing eeprom)
- Filename (required if you use the W or R command)
- Nforce fix (Put 0 for NO)
Thus, it is almost easy to write the proper manual syntax command and even if MTK Vendor Intro failed, if you downgrade unit you'll be able to do a valid dump.

Last edited:
Back