• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

anydvd and dvd-vr/+vr

O

odd_function

James, I noticed that this version of AnyDVD still does not remove the invalid characters like this example Title: $ DVD Movie $ I can't copy it due to the invalid characters. There are some movie out there with this cheap trick. :bowdown:

James, I noticed that this version of AnyDVD still does not remove the invalid characters like this example Title: $ DVD Movie $ I can't copy it due to the invalid characters. There are some movie out there with this cheap trick. :bowdown:

Can you give an example with using the Anydvd status screen please? I'd like to know what movies these are.

It does not remove $, because it isn't an invalid character in Windows. Or is it?

echo hello > $.txt
type $.txt
hello

works just fine...???

EDIT:
echo hello > "$ DVD Movie $"
type "$ DVD Movie $"
hello

works as well....

Last edited:
Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.4)
ATAPI DVD DC 8X16X8X GREC
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1
Total size: 2047664 sectors (3999 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: $ DVD VR $
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed wrong DVD structure!
Found & removed bogus title set!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 2 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

This is an AnyDVD info that came from a DVD Recorder disc from a PHILIPS DVD Recorder model DVDR3390
I can give you the ifo's if you wish.

I tried it in CloneDVD2 and 1Click DVD copy with no results. 1Click simply saids there is 1 mb file and records to disc in one
second which means it copied nothing. And cloneDVD2 which states "Unknowed error has accured"

For some weird reason, some DVD Recorders do not support of copying DVDs from a DVD recorder which is weird if you ask me.

Media is a DVD.

Media is region free.

Anydvd is intended for use with original pressed commercial dvds (or at least something that attempts to comply with a dvd-video standard) and not the dvd-vr (video recording) format.

Media is a DVD.

Media is region free.

This is an AnyDVD info that came from a DVD Recorder disc from a PHILIPS DVD Recorder model DVDR3390
I can give you the ifo's if you wish.

I tried it in CloneDVD2 and 1Click DVD copy with no results. 1Click simply saids there is 1 mb file and records to disc in one
second which means it copied nothing. And cloneDVD2 which states "Unknowed error has accured"

For some weird reason, some DVD Recorders do not support of copying DVDs from a DVD recorder which is weird if you ask me.
Disable the option to "remove protection based on unreadable sectors", this shouldn't be needed on recorded discs.

I would avoid buying a DVD Recorder from any company who includes protection on the discs it makes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-VR

"The DVD-VR standard defines a logical format for video recording on DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM style media, including the dual layer versions of these media. As opposed to media recorded with the DVD+VR recording standard, the resulting media are not DVD Video compliant, and will not play back in any DVD Video player. Most DVD video recorders in the market that support DVD-R, DVD-RW, or DVD-RAM media will allow recording to these media in DVD-VR mode, as well as in a DVD Video compliant mode.

also http://www.ulead.com/learning/general/video_04_1.htm

"Limitations of the DVD VR format

There are some limitations with the DVD VR format. Firstly there are two different DVD VR formats today: DVD-VR and DVD+VR. Each of these flavors of DVD VR has its own set of limitations in terms of editing and playback compatibility. For example when you delete a video from a disc using the DVD+VR format, you will not necessarily be able to immediately re-use that space, while with DVD-VR you will be able to. On the other hand a DVD-VR formatted disc will only playback on a DVD-VR aware device such as a home DVD Recorder that supports DVD-RW or DVD-RAM. A DVD+VR formatted disc will play on most DVD players. Also DVD-VR uses playlists instead of the navigation menus you are used to seeing on a DVD, while DVD+VR uses regular menus (with a 30MB space limitation for menus, menu video and menu music). Finally, each format is compatible with certain types of DVD media. In general, DVD-VR format is used with DVD-RW and DVD-RAM discs, while DVD+VR should be used with DVD+RW discs."

So, in summary, dvd-vr is not dvd-video compliant, and the discs do not play in all dvd players.

Anydvd and Clonedvd do not handle this format--and were never intended to.

The discs I've made with my DVD Recorder have worked on multiple standalone players.

Then it's probably supports dvd+vr recording--or your other standalone players are capable of playing dvd-vr (or whatever format your recorder is using).

Last edited:
How can I tell?

A lot of standalone recorders, when you use a DVD-RW disc, will let you record as either DVD-VR or DVD-Video (with a DVD-R disc you can, typically, only use the DVD-Video mode with a lot of recorders). Take dvd-rw disc and set the standalone to record in dvd-vr. Then try playing it in other players. Chances are the other players are going to choke.

Last edited:
A lot of standalone recorders, when you use a DVD-RW disc, will let you record as either DVD-VR and DVD-Video (with a DVD-R disc you can only use the DVD-Video mode.) Take dvd-rw disc and set the standalone to record in dvd-vr. Then try playing it in other players.
I am using DVD-R discs.

I am using DVD-R discs.

So, in all likelyhood, you're burning in a dvd-video compliant format anyway. Mystery solved

dvd-vr is different; it's not standard, and it suffers from compatibility issues. Furthermore, it's not supported by Anydvd nor Clonedvd.

Last edited:
Back