• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Copy UHD with protection intact

kzajac

When using Anydvd on a blu-ray that has not been fixed as yet, in the past I have made an ISO image "with" protection NOT removed to be able to go back later when Anydvd has fixed it. Can you do the same with UHD discs?

Yes

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Ok so with regular blu-ray, I would use the "copy to image" function in Anydvd itself. But with UHD I had thought you had to use CloneBD? What process would I use to create the Protected UHD copy?

Hi kzajac!

The same AnyDVD copy to image function you refer to works both for Blu-Ray and UHD.

Good idea to make a protected .iso for Unsupported UHD discs.

I do it myself.

When the key is on the database, voila, working UHD .iso!

And pretty much the same for Blu-Ray with unresolved ScreenPass issues.

T

I do this all the time for my UHD discs. I rip them with copy protection (make sure you check the box "Keep protection..." in the "Rip to image" dialog box) and earmark the ISO image filename with "(P)." That way I know the ISO image has protection still active. It allows for a quick load (using Virtual Clonedrive) to test if the OPD is available. Once it is, I use this ripped, protected ISO image to create the decrypted ISO image eliminating "(P)" from the newly decrypted ISO image's filename. Now I can keep the unprotected/decrypted ISO and delete the protected/encrypted one.

... Just my system of organization. You may have a better way that works for you. :)

Regards,
donaf

Hi kzajac!

The same AnyDVD copy to image function you refer to works both for Blu-Ray and UHD.

Good idea to make a protected .iso for Unsupported UHD discs.

I do it myself.

When the key is on the database, voila, working UHD .iso!

And pretty much the same for Blu-Ray with unresolved ScreenPass issues.

T

But how does this work because anydvd tries to decrypt the movie as soon as you stick the disc in and close the tray and try to make a protected iso copy and then states this disc is not supported yet try later please advise step by step on how to do this

Anydvd does decrypt on the fly yes, but that's a separate coding section of anydvd. When you make a protected backup, the anydvd ripper bypasses the decryption engine, and does a straight file copy.

Hi there so can you please give me step by step tutorial on how to do this I would like to know how to do this as I’m not familiar with how to do this and I have uhd discs that I would like to do this with until they are available thank you

Right click the fox tray icon > rip to image > tick the box that says 'keep protection' > start ripping.

All done

But it tries to do the on the fly decryption first so do I wait for that to finish first and tell me that the disc is not available and then right click on the fox and select rip to image

You'll be waiting a very long time if you do that. That phase usually only lasts a few moments whether it's successful or not. Then you just do it

Insert disc> masked fox tray icon goes faint red > when protection scanning is done, icon turns solid again > start the ripping.

I don't know what else you want (to know).

Sorry this is new to me and I have tried doing this to the few uhd that aren’t supported yet but I open anydvd thin stick the disc in and it tries to decrypt it right away then I select rip to image after it is finished decrypting and I check the box keep protection but nothing happens this disc is not supported is what I get

So after it tells me that the disc is not supported I select rip to image and check keep protection and start ripping correct

That's right, that's all there is to it.

My understanding is that 'protected' means one cannot play back the file/iso on a media player. For that the protection has to be removed first, e.g. with AnyDVD.
Where I am not quite clear is if it is possible to make further (protected) copies of this protected copy (iso) or move it to another location, analogous to the handling of 'regular' files. Reason I ask is that when I tried it, it did not work (super slow copy/Windows system hung). So I am not sure if this may have been a glitch or normal behavior.

Protected backups aren't meant to be played back or burned. They are temporary iso's, so you can retry decryption quickly by simply mounting the iso file, without having to pull out the original disc again.

@waffles

Yes, a protected image, which is an ISO file that contains a 1:1 copy of the original optical disc data, is just a regular file. There's nothing special in it related to AnyDVD, since AnyDVD hasn't made any changes to the original files in making that protected image. Copying it or moving it doesn't change the file content and so doesn't change what's stored in it or how it will be interpreted by AnyDVD when it is mounted on a virtual CD drive.

It can be copied as many times as you want, to whatever folders you like.

Of course, most UHD ISO files will be over 40 gigabytes in size, so it will take a LONG time to copy compared to copying an MP4 or MKV conversion of a 4K movie.

To copy such a huge file quickly, you have to store the ISO on a fast hard drive or SSD (Solid State Drive aka Flash Drive), or a fast gigabit network combined with a fast NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. And you have to copy TO an equally fast storage device.

If your storage devices can't copy faster than 10 megabytes/second, that 40+ gigabyte ISO going to take a very long time to move -- more than an hour.

USB 2.0 drives are pretty slow -- they're limited to 480 megabits per second (about 48 megabytes/second), which would take 1000 seconds (more than 16 minutes) for a 48 gigabyte UHD ISO file, and most USB 2 drives can't hit that theoretical maximum. A good USB 3.0/3.1 drive could theoretically copy at 5 gigabits/second, or about 500 megabytes/second, although I've yet to see one do more than 200 megabytes/second in real world Windows testing. Still, that would be only 240 seconds (4 minutes) for that 48 gigabyte ISO compared to the USB 2 drive's best copy time of 16 minutes.

If you're seeing much slower copy speeds then your drives may be very slow, your network may be very slow (if you're copying across a network), or your antivirus may be scanning the file as it's being copied -- in which case you would want to exclude ISO files from the antivirus scanner.

Food for thought?

--michael

I got it to work thank you so much for all your help because this is new to me

I do this all the time for my UHD discs. I rip them with copy protection (make sure you check the box "Keep protection..." in the "Rip to image" dialog box) and earmark the ISO image filename with "(P)." That way I know the ISO image has protection still active. It allows for a quick load (using Virtual Clonedrive) to test if the OPD is available. Once it is, I use this ripped, protected ISO image to create the decrypted ISO image eliminating "(P)" from the newly decrypted ISO image's filename. Now I can keep the unprotected/decrypted ISO and delete the protected/encrypted one.

... Just my system of organization. You may have a better way that works for you. :)

Regards,
donaf

donaf, I have a similar system except....

- I don't add any special naming for the protected .iso's (since those are the ones I use the most).

- When supported, I make an unprotected .iso backup from the protected and distinguish it by appending "(unprot)" to the title. I make sure to make this copy on a different Hard Drive and save it as an extra backup (in case the HD housing the other backup fails). So, I don't delete the protected but keep both.

Since I primarily watch UHDs on the computer, it doesn't really matter whether I use the protected .iso or not -- once protection is available.

The unprotected copy, however, is good to have in the event you lose connection with the AnyDVD Server (e.g. Internet outage), as it will still be playable.

A good USB 3.0/3.1 drive could theoretically copy at 5 gigabits/second, or about 500 megabytes/second, although I've yet to see one do more than 200 megabytes/second in real world Windows testing. Still, that would be only 240 seconds (4 minutes) for that 48 gigabyte ISO compared to the USB 2 drive's best copy time of 16 minutes.

Real-world use of my friendly drives and 3.0 USB HD's is that I can get close to 30Mbps transfer speed on Blu-Rays and UHD's at best --- but on the average it's closer to 22-24.

The typical 60-80G UHD takes under an hour, usually around 40 - 45 minutes on my computers and that's fine by me.

Of course, I have seen UHDs near the max size in the 90G's (which obviously take longer) and -on the other end - some that were in the high -40G's near the upper limit for Blu-Ray (which rip very quickly).

T

Back