• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ASUS BW-16D1HT

Dryst

This is a newer BluRay burner I bought not long ago. However, AnyDVD is always disabled for this drive:

Is this all ASUS burners not compatible, or did I just choose the wrong new drive?

2019-09-29_10-34-46.gif

Go to 'drives - selection' is the checkbox ticked for that drive there? Anydvd works with that or any Asus drive just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have this SATA drive installed in a Vantec NST-536S3-BK NexStar SATA to USB3 case. Next time I plug it in, I will check. However, will I have to check and change checkboxes each time I attempt to use my drive? If this is indeed what the issue is, it would be preferred to always be enabled for all new drives. Users should choose when ones to disable it for.

I just checked this out. The ASUS does not appear under drive selection at all. Only my fixed BluRay reader appears:

2019-09-29_12-01-07.gif

Now, however, My ASUS drive is available, active and not disabled with a different BluRay disc:

2019-09-29_12-03-56.gif

I do not understand what is going on.

The initial disc I used that showed disabled was an Ulta BluRay disc. These disc do not seem to work in my drives. Perhaps this is related to the issue.

Sounds like a sketchy connection / cable to me. Don't know if you have a desktop or a laptop, but if a desktop you could try mounting it directly in the case. If not, you could try a different enclosure/cable but as you see yourself from that image. When the drive IS recognised, anydvd does work with it just fine.

Oh and i know you said you weren't planning on doing UHD any time soon, but if you change your mind you will need to downgrade it. 3.10 is NOT friendly ;)

This is a workstation computer. The cable is a brand new USB3 cable that I suspect is not to blame. The enclosure is also brand new.

The BluRay in question is a brand new release, so I tend to think it's more likely an issue with a latest 4K UltraHD release issue not being supported.

Unfortunately, you think wrong in this case. That's a standard blu-ray (according to the disc size 38041MB), not an UHD disc, according to the info in the status window that disc is decrypted just fine. If it were an UHD disc, anydvd would give you a very specific error message with that drives firmware. That's not the case here. That disc is handled just fine.

Which means it's either a sketchy connection (faulty cable/enclosure, bad usb port...) somewhere down the line. Just because something's new, doesn't mean it can't be defective.

Your initial image was for anydvd not being enabled for the asus drive
the 2nd one was from the drive not being recognised at all
and the third was from the standard blu-ray disc being decrypted just fine.

At no point currently have you supplied an image where the drive was recognised and an UHD disc was inside it. If there was, with that firmware version on the asus drive, anydvd would have complained it couldn't retrieve the disc's AGID, and you'd be informed that with that firmware version the drive is NOT UHD friendly and you'll need to downgrade the firmware to version 3.02 or lower.

Optical disc drives in external enclosures are critical. Most enclosures have issues since they don't support all SATA commands and also the USB connection might be shaky for USB3. Try USB2 and check if that is more stable. Of course it will be slower.

Unfortunately, you think wrong in this case. That's a standard blu-ray (according to the disc size 38041MB), not an UHD disc, according to the info in the status window that disc is decrypted just fine. If it were an UHD disc, anydvd would give you a very specific error message with that drives firmware. That's not the case here. That disc is handled just fine.

Which means it's either a sketchy connection (faulty cable/enclosure, bad usb port...) somewhere down the line. Just because something's new, doesn't mean it can't be defective.

Your initial image was for anydvd not being enabled for the asus drive
the 2nd one was from the drive not being recognised at all
and the third was from the standard blu-ray disc being decrypted just fine.

At no point currently have you supplied an image where the drive was recognised and an UHD disc was inside it. If there was, with that firmware version on the asus drive, anydvd would have complained it couldn't retrieve the disc's AGID, and you'd be informed that with that firmware version the drive is NOT UHD friendly and you'll need to downgrade the firmware to version 3.02 or lower.

Here is the same brand new UHD disc I initially posted inserted again in the same drive a second time:

2019-09-29_13-25-01.gif

Again, this is a brand new just released UHD disc I purchased.

Inside this same package was a standard BluRay non UHD that worked fine. Neither burner in my computer supports the new UHD disc I inserted.

I am not sure what you are arguing over, but I got what I need.

Optical disc drives in external enclosures are critical. Most enclosures have issues since they don't support all SATA commands and also the USB connection might be shaky for USB3. Try USB2 and check if that is more stable. Of course it will be slower.

This is a more logical explanation. The only thing that I did not add is that this same new media also showed similar issues with the BluRay drive installed in my workstation. It seems to be the UHD disc that is causing me issues for both drives.

Your drive "out of the box" is not UHD friendly. You need to flash UHD friendly firmware. Use the search function.

I'm not arguing. I specifically stated in post 7 that the USB port was also a possible culprit. Here's the exact line.

Which means it's either a sketchy connection (faulty cable/enclosure, bad usb port...) somewhere down the line.

That said, at this point, i don't think the drive even sees the disc, in order for anydvd to fail at decrypting it with the drives current firmware revision. Flashing UHD friendly firmware is irrelevant at this point. The first order of business is to have windows/AnyDVD consistently see the drive and disc in it. When that has been established, and anydvd fails at decrypting the disc due to the current firmware, only THEN do you need to consider flashing friendly firmware.

Until you can consitently get the drive working, anything else is irrelevant.

Try this. Disconnect the drive from the PC. EXIT anydvd completely. The system tray icon cannot be running. Hook up the drive, LEAVE ANYDVD DISABLED! Does windows see the drive now?

Yes: Possible Anydvd problem. Redo it to make sure it's not a fluke. Sees it again. Start anydvd? What happens? Does the drive become visible under "Drives > selection"? Yes/NO? Is the checkbox ticked

No: Faulty/problematic connection somewhere down the line (drive itself, cable, enclosure, usb port)

First order of business before you even worry about the drive's firmware and decryption of the disc, is you need to get the drive working properly first.

Absolutely. Enclosures are the first point of trouble and that needs to be addressed first.

Back