• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Removing Blu-ray Region Codes when the Disk and Drive Regions Don't Match

Big C

I have been successful removing region codes from DVDs when I ripped a Region 2 DVD with a Region 1 drive by changing the number to 2 in the AnyDVDHD settings. My Blu-ray drive is Region A. With the Region-Free option checked in the AnyDVDHD Blu-ray settings, will I be able to get the same Region Free results I get with DVDs? I'm about to order the Arrow Video Hellraiser three-Blu-ray disk set, which is Region B.

I have been successful removing region codes from DVDs when I ripped a Region 2 DVD with a Region 1 drive by changing the number to 2 in the AnyDVDHD settings. My Blu-ray drive is Region A.

I'm about to order the Arrow Video Hellraiser three-Blu-ray disk set, which is Region B.

No, things work differently with Blu-rays:

My Blu-ray drive is Region A.
No, it isn't. Blu-ray drives have no region setting.
With Blu-rays, it's the player that has a region set.

With the Region-Free option checked in the AnyDVDHD Blu-ray settings, will I be able to get the same Region Free results I get with DVDs?
No. Though I'm not entirely sure, what setting you are referring to - there should be no "region free" option for Blu-rays.
AnyDVD will, though, prompt you for a region when inserting an unknown disc.

AnyDVD is actually asking: "what region is this disc locked to?"

If you select "region free", you're telling AnyDVD, that the disc is already region free and not to further bother with it.
So, essentially, you won't be removing the region code.

But it's simple: the discs you're ordering are region B, so just tell AnyDVD that. It will make the disc always think it's in a region B player.
That is essentially the same thing as: entirely region free.

There is an option "Remove Blu-ray region code," and choices of "Automatic" "Ask me," "Region A," "Region B," and "Region C."

Automatic doesn't mean region free. It means anydvd will automatically try to guess the disc's region which doesn't always work, due to disc code complexity

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

But doesn't the "Remove Blu-ray Region Codes" option mean that the ripped ISO or copied files will have no region coding? Just making sure I understand the little nooks and crannies here.

No, that's for a special type of region coding usually only found on Japanese anime discs. Right-click that (and any other settings for that matter) for an info tooltip about that setting.

No, that's for a special type of region coding usually only found on Japanese anime discs. Right-click that (and any other settings for that matter) for an info tooltip about that setting.

Your are talking about COUNTRY code.

But doesn't the "Remove Blu-ray Region Codes" option mean that the ripped ISO or copied files will have no region coding? Just making sure I understand the little nooks and crannies here.
Ignore the previous post (EDIT: the one before the previous) - he clearly misread something.

The first little nook that pretty much 80% of all users never get past is (just saying this, because it needs to be said often enough):

When AnyDVD is running, the system sees a disc with all the magic already done. It sees an altered disc.
"Ripping" is not really "ripping" then, it's merely copying the disc. We just call it "ripping", because people get confused otherwise, they're looking for their precious "ripping" feature.

Now: "Remove Blu-ray Region Codes" means, that from your point of view, there is no more region code to worry about.
Technically the disc still has region coding. There's code on the disc, that asks the player "what region are you?". But AnyDVD makes it "give itself" a fixed response always - like in your case "B". And then the code is happy and continues....

Automatic doesn't mean region free. It means anydvd will automatically try to guess the disc's region which doesn't always work, due to disc code complexity

Usually, AnyDVD will ask for the disk region in case it isn't sure.

Your are talking about COUNTRY code.
You're right! My bad.

@Big C no, the 'remove Blu-ray region code' only tells anydvd 'hey, I want you to remove the disc's region's. For anydvd to know how, it needs to know the disc's original region.

Once you've then specified the region from the options below that, anydvd makes the needed changes so the disc code THINKS it's always playing in the region it's coded for (in your case, fool the disc to think that any player is region B, whether it actually is or not).

Which essentially makes it region free. I don't think it's actually possible to remove region coding from the disc entirely (or if it is, probably not as easy as it is to fool the region checking).

Right. AnyDVDHD does all the decryption. So what you're saying is that by checking "Remove Blu-ray Region Codes" and specifying the correct original region of the disk, the loaded decryption won't have region codes. For those of you who seem to say AnyDVDHD isn't for ripping, I also use it's "Rip disk to image" function, and have gotten satisfactory results. So in my case, I'm using AnyDVDHD as a decrypter and a disk ripper.

Back