• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD MKV DTS DD+ AC3 Oh My!

Tanquen

I have two UHD movies and have been playing around with some MKVs.

I don't have a way to get them to the new LG OLED 77C9. I have a HTPC but no way to play a UHD through to the TV. I have PowerDVD and it blocks them unless I get a new motherboard with a certain Intel chipset and onboard HDMI out. Lame!

So the LG C9 will play the MKVs from and USB device but only the lossy audio tracks. One movie only has the HD lossless track so no audio and the other has two with audio descriptions of what is going on.

So I made a new MKV with the audio conversion to AC3 and that worked. I’m trying a new one now with DTS as it goes up to 1.5mbp.

Is there a way to do DD+ with it’s higher bit rate?

Is there a way to keep the lossless HD track and just add the new DTS or AC3 or DD+ track?

where should the sound come from? from the tv speakers or via eARC to an AVR

Edit : the TV can not handle even lossless audio, so it needs DD Audio. If lossless audio is to be played then it is only about eARC on which the C9 has what presupposes however that one also owns an eARC capable AVR

Not sure if it maters where I want the sound to go. From what I have read the C9 will not do anything with a lossless HD track and it even pops up a message stating that the track is unsupported. Maybe it would with eARC enabled but my AVR is ARC only. I tried the higher bitrate DTS and that worked.

It would be nice to have DD+ as I think more devices could use it and it would be nice to keep the original lossless HD track along with the new DTS or maybe DD+ tracks so I can use the MKV on something in the future that can make use of the lossless HD track.

yes, it certainly depends on where the sound should go. If the sound can only be processed by the TV, the high bitrate of TrueHD or DTSHD can not be processed this is only output via eARC as the TV does not process the sound but only passes it to the eARC AVR. DTS and AC3 is indeed limited by the bit rate (DTS = max. 1536 kbits, AC3 = max. 640kbits) so that should not be a problem for the TV. To have DolbyDigital + would be nice, but you need Dolby Media Generator to create it. So not all that easy, it would be easier to invest in an eARC capable AVR.

Nvidia Shield. Kodi. Works.

The htpc does too. Just load something like mpchc with madvr and it'll be fantastic. If you do have a shield, well that is certainly simple to use. I've got one in each room but the htpc is better. I use jriver mc with my nas and madvr configured for tonemapping and it's outstanding.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The htpc does too. Just load something like mpchc with madvr and it'll be fantastic. If you do have a shield, well that is certainly simple to use. I've got one in each room but the htpc is better. I use jriver mc with my nas and madvr configured for tonemapping and it's outstanding.
Maybe. But the Shield is the perfect compromise of ease of use, speed and quality. It has Amazon Prime, Netflix and many other services in HDR & 4K a PC can only dream of. And no, I do NOT want to use the smart stuff in a smart tv. It is outdated quickly and generally sucks. GeForce Experience as a Bonus works better than expected.

Ok, thanks for the input. I may have to get a NV$idia Shield at some point but seems silly to have to buy another PC when the HTPC is sitting right there. :)

So no way to tell CloneBD to keep the HD track when making the DTS track?

@Tanquen,

Just load KODI onto your HTPC and play your MKV's from there. (For your benefit, please use HDMI cables for connections, if possible.)

Also, when making MKV's with CloneBD, tell it to copy the audio. Don't convert it. That way, you will get the HD & core track, just as it is on the disc.

Do you have a HD audio capable Receiver for the sound or do you just use the TV directly?

If you have a receiver, KODI can pass through the HD audio to the receiver. If you just use the TV for sound, KODI could play the core DTS / AC3 track and send to the TV.

I was only converting it so the UHD MKVs would work from the LG C9 TV. My AVR is not 4k and only has ARC not eARC. If you are going through the trouble of making MKVs why not have the option to keep the HD track and make the DTS track? It works well I just have to make two MKV files.

I’ll get a 4k AVR with eARC when Denon updates the AVR-X8500 with HDMI 2.1, I’m not shipping that behemoth to them to swap a card that I could totally do myself.

I was only converting it so the UHD MKVs would work from the LG C9 TV. My AVR is not 4k and only has ARC not eARC. If you are going through the trouble of making MKVs why not have the option to keep the HD track and make the DTS track? It works well I just have to make two MKV files.

I’ll get a 4k AVR with eARC when Denon updates the AVR-X8500 with HDMI 2.1, I’m not shipping that behemoth to them to swap a card that I could totally do myself.

If you copy the audio in CloneBD, the audio track will contain both the HD audio and the DTS core track inside it. Surely your TV &/or receiver should be able to play the DTS core track from within the HD audio track.

One of the movies only has the HD audio track. When a make a straight MKV copy the TV sees the HD audio track and will not play it. If I make the MKV and tell CloneBD to make a DTS track there is still only one audio track but the TV will now play/pass this on through ARC to the AVR and lists it as a DTS track. Are you saying it getting that from within a the HD audio track? Because CloneBD embedded the DTS track in it?

One of the movies only has the HD audio track. When a make a straight MKV copy the TV sees the HD audio track and will not play it. If I make the MKV and tell CloneBD to make a DTS track there is still only one audio track but the TV will now play/pass this on through ARC to the AVR and lists it as a DTS track. Are you saying it getting that from within a the HD audio track? Because CloneBD embedded the DTS track in it?

That sounds like your TV is unable to find the DTS core track that is within the HD audio track. Your receiver should be able to though.

As I mentioned previously, install KODI on your HTPC and play your MKV's through KODI. You can adjust KODI's audio settings so it can pass through audio or convert it if needed. It should be able to play the DTS core from within the HD track and pass it to your TV / receiver.

That sounds like your TV is unable to find the DTS core track that is within the HD audio track. Your receiver should be able to though.

As I mentioned previously, install KODI on your HTPC and play your MKV's through KODI. You can adjust KODI's audio settings so it can pass through audio or convert it if needed. It should be able to play the DTS core from within the HD track and pass it to your TV / receiver.

I think I recall the tracks inside tracks being a thing but I guess the LG just sees an HD track and will not pass it along or can’t through ACR but could through eARC. My receiver don’t need to find the DTS track inside the HD track as it will play the HD tracks but it’s not 4k.

“I was only converting it so the UHD MKVs would work from the LG C9 TV. My AVR is not 4k and only has ARC not eARC. If you are going through the trouble of making MKVs why not have the option to keep the HD track and make the DTS track? It works well I just have to make two MKV files.”

I think I recall the tracks inside tracks being a thing but I guess the LG just sees an HD track and will not pass it along or can’t through ACR but could through eARC. My receiver don’t need to find the DTS track inside the HD track as it will play the HD tracks but it’s not 4k.

“I was only converting it so the UHD MKVs would work from the LG C9 TV. My AVR is not 4k and only has ARC not eARC. If you are going through the trouble of making MKVs why not have the option to keep the HD track and make the DTS track? It works well I just have to make two MKV files.”

You could use a program such as "HD-DVD/Blu-ray Streams Extractor" to extract both the HD track and the DTS core track (separately). You could then use mkvtoolnix to mux both audio tracks with your video track into a single mkv.

I guess I'll just make two copies for now, until I get a 4k HDMI 2.1 AVR.

I guess I'll just make two copies for now, until I get a 4k HDMI 2.1 AVR.

As I said before, just create 1 copy.

1. Use CloneBD to make your MKV with the HD audio track.
2. Use HD-DVD/Blu-ray Streams Extractor to extract the "core" track from the HD track.
3. Use MKVtoolnix to add the "core" track to the MKV you created in CloneBD.

That's it. The last 2 steps will take all of about 5 minutes.

Now you will have a MKV that contains:
  • Video track
  • HD audio track
  • "Core" audio track
So, if the device you are playing it on won't play the HD audio just select the next audio track to play and you are good to watch! Simple!!

Ok, ok.... I may give that a try, I did not know it only took 5 minutes. Still wish there was a check box to leave the HD audio track and add the DTS core as another track.

Ok, ok.... I may give that a try, I did not know it only took 5 minutes. Still wish there was a check box to leave the HD audio track and add the DTS core as another track.

I agree it would be handy for some, like yourself! DVDFab can do it, so I don't see why CloneBD couldn't implement it as well.

Its also odd that when I make a MP4 the audio with description is track one and when I make the MKV with DTS the audio with out description is track one.

Some of these UHD movies seem over compressed, still better than streaming. Are they trying to keep it under an mount that lets them use fewer layers?

Shazam! (With DV) is 2 hours at 78GB and Avengers Endgame (No DV) is 3 hours at 48GB. That is not far off form the HD version. Marvel/Disney is stinky!

Back