• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Windows 10 ver 1809 hosed network?

Clams

Ever since it updated to 1809 all the PC's on my network are demanding we enter credentials (username and password) despite the fact that Password Protected Sharing is deliberately turned OFF in Advanced Networking. The machines can "see" each other OK, but are demanding a password to "open" the PC to see the shared folders. And this feature is turned OFF. If you know the router password that's supposed to be "it". You have access to all the shared folders. What gives here?
-W

Last edited:
Ever since it updated to 1807 all the PC's on my network are demanding we enter credentials (username and password) despite the fact that Password Protected Sharing is deliberately turned OFF in Advanced Networking. The machines can "see" each other OK, but are demanding a password to "open" the PC to see the shared folders. And this feature is turned OFF. If you know the router password that's supposed to be "it". You have access to all the shared folders. What gives here?
-W
Clams, It sounds like more Windows 10 nonsense.

I'm dreading this, because my main PC is in storage right now, and it had Windows 10 Pro installed on it, I lost my Windows 7 Home laptop, and my Windows 10 Pro laptop is version 1809, the one that I'm typing on right now.

I wonder what new quirks I have to deal with that I'm not aware of.

Clams, It sounds like more Windows 10 nonsense.

I'm dreading this, because my main PC is in storage right now, and it had Windows 10 Pro installed on it, I lost my Windows 7 Home laptop, and my Windows 10 Pro laptop is version 1809, the one that I'm typing on right now.

I wonder what new quirks I have to deal with that I'm not aware of.

Ya, I just double checked and Password Protected Sharing is turned off and stays off. It just doesn't WORK as though it's OFF. This issue manifested on all nine PCs here when 1809 came down. A true WTF moment. Been using the "sneakernet" with flash drives to move movies around. (sigh)
-W

Ya, I just double checked and Password Protected Sharing is turned off and stays off. It just doesn't WORK as though it's OFF. This issue manifested on all nine PCs here when 1809 came down. A true WTF moment. Been using the "sneakernet" with flash drives to move movies around. (sigh)
-W
You can create a common account on all PCs (call it "nosneaker" ?) and use this to authenticate? I've done this since samba stopped working with Windows guest account.

You can create a common account on all PCs (call it "nosneaker" ?) and use this to authenticate? I've done this since samba stopped working with Windows guest account.

Ya - great. A "workaround" on 9 PC's when I paid for PRO. I mean WTF? :)
Looks like it might come to that though.... a real PITA.
PS: I do not log into them with a MS account. Password is in BIOS.
I log in with a "Local Account" with no PW attached.
-W

-W

Just use the same Username/Passwd on all of them -> Net-Shares should work ...

Other way would be to disable passwd for net sharing via gpo/sec-pol ...

-W
Sure, a local account. Just give this account the same password on all machines.

Sure, a local account. Just give this account the same password on all machines.
It's working! (thanks!)
So far I've done it on the HTPC, My personal machine, The 20tb "cloud" machine, and just now did it on my PC at work. (leaving my bedroom HP all in one, 2 laptops, the parlor HTPC, and the old garage machine, still to go - as they get used anyway. I'm not going to make this a marathon - LOL)

Have this mostly done now as machines get used. Still a few to go.

Interesting thing.
If "password protected sharing" is turned ON. No access to that machine at all.
If "password protected sharing" is turned OFF - It HAS password protected sharing - and James' work around works.
LOL

Back