• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

1st Attempt with UHD - Help Please (Instel SGX??)

TODDSSF

I finally decided to take the leap into UHD Blu-Ray for the first time and am running into errors so hoping someone can help with some insight. The only error that made any sense deals with Intel SGX Technology and wondering if my MB isn't compatible.

Hardware: (yes the MB and CPU are a bit old and will be replaced in the next couple months)
- LG UHD Player https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16827136307?Item=N82E16827136307
- ASRockZ77 Extreme4 https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157293?Item=N82E16813157293
- Intel i7-3770 34.Ghz https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-3rd-gen-core-i7-3770/p/N82E16819116502?Item=N82E16819116502
- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GV-N1060G1 https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...gd-2-0/p/N82E16814125902?Item=N82E16814125902

Here are the errors: (logfile attached)

Total size: 47655808 sectors (93077 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT
Media is AACS protected!
Drive supports bus encryption!
Disc wants bus encryption!
couldn't retrieve AGID (bus encryption)!
ERROR processing Blu-ray disc!

When I put the 4K disk in the drive, File Explorer does open and I can see all the files. I can't run anything, including going to the "steam" folder and trying to run a single M2TS file. It says it's a corrupt file.

The drive came with CyberLink PowerDVD. It won't play the disc and gives me an error saying Intel SGX didn't install. Reinstall PowerDVD (which doesn't work).

I ran a program called Blu-Ray advisor and have attached a screenshot of that output. It lists several issues. The first may be the issue, the next 3 seem like would only matter if I"m watching from the PC. All I really want to do is play this from Plex:
Intel SGX Technology - Is this my only real issue? Will this intel software get me around this issue? https://software.intel.com/en-us/sgx/sdk
HDCP 2.2 GPU / Display - It says it's not DHCP 2.2 compliant, but I'm pretty certain it is. Is this just reading the on board video (which has nothing plugged into it) and showing the issue?
Advanced Protected A/V Path (GPU) - I have no idea what this ones is about.
HDR High Dynamic Range (GPU / Display) - I have a Samsung 4K monitor I believe does meet this requirement. It's one of 3 plugged in so is it just seeing the other two?

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.3.6.0_Info_F_MISSION IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT.ziplog
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • AnyDVD_8.3.6.0_Info_L_Cyberlink.ziplog
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 16
TODDSSF,

I'm not sure what the problem is with AnyDVD decrypting your UHD.

I have that disc and my version is supported.

I tried to compare OPD ID's but the Parser tool that finds that ID doesn't seem to work on your logfile.

Not sure what that means.

Anyway, re PowerDVD, just wanted you to be aware that if you're trying to play UHD's with any PowerDVD version, you need to have Intel Graphics as it won't work with any other GPU.

I think that may be reflected in your SGX issue.

T

This is an official UHD drive and Anydvd will not work with the drive you bought this is the LG WH16NS60 I have one you will have to flash it for anydvd to work with it to a uhd friendly firmware your drive however will work with other programs out there.

This is an official UHD drive and Anydvd will not work with the drive you bought this is the LG WH16NS60 I have one you will have to flash it for anydvd to work with it to a uhd friendly firmware your drive however will work with other programs out there.

Good catch, BRCS.

I didn't notice that.

@TODDSSF as BRCS says you'll be ok if you flash to a different firmware.

I happen to have that very drive, flashed it to NS40 firmware and been using it for every kind of disc with AnyDVD since.

With 0 issues.

EDIT: I have the NS60 on a Desktop with nVidia 1070 Graphics, so I use JRiver to watch UHD's.

T

Thanks. Where do I get the firmware? Is it just the LG update or is there a special generic firmware I need to use?

The easiest place to find all the info and files you need is here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

Thanks for the link. However it didnt help.

I downloaded the ASUS ODD FW Changer (modified) file... selected WH16NS60 firmware. Picked my drive from the window and the model number matched (see attached). It says the FW update was successful, but AnyDVD still throws the same error.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Attachments

• Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the link. However it didnt help.

I downloaded the ASUS ODD FW Changer (modified) file... selected WH16NS60 firmware. Picked my drive from the window and the model number matched (see attached). It says the FW update was successful, but AnyDVD still throws the same error.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

OK Sorry, I just need to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS lol. Flashed to WH16NS40 firmware and now we're working.

HOWEVER. AnyDVD scan worked. Handbrake could not find a usable title. (Obviously not a AnyDVD issue)
Make MKV is ripping now, which doesn't use AnyDVD.. not the preferred method here.

I have on rare occasion had Handbarke not find a usable title with a regular blueray. it's rare but has happened. Is this likely the same scenario, and probably other titles would work fine?

And.. I know there will be messages left about CloneBD... and it's on my list to investigate. I may post some questions over in that forum because it's worth the money to be over any compatibility issues.

How long does it take you to rip a 4K movie? and what CPU to you use?

It took me 12 hours on this old i7 3770

12 hours, that's a long time, what are you ripping with ?!

Use CloneBD or Imgburn once it's decrypted, should only take about an hour.
If you save the disc in the form of files and folders it takes longer, 1to1 rips go faster.
The free version of CloneBD will allow 1to1 rips.
Personally I prefer Imgburn.

It takes about an hour on my 11 year old HP HDX18 machine which is way behind when compared to your i7 3770.

If you're decrypting and ripping,why use PowerDVD, there is no real advantage to it.
A free player like MPC-BE with the proper filters installed will play your UHD discs and you don't have to worry about all the SGX crap.

12 hours, that's a long time, what are you ripping with ?!

Use CloneBD or Imgburn once it's decrypted, should only take about an hour.
If you save the disc in the form of files and folders it takes longer, 1to1 rips go faster.
The free version of CloneBD will allow 1to1 rips.
Personally I prefer Imgburn.

It takes about an hour on my 11 year old HP HDX18 machine which is way behind when compared to your i7 3770.

Yes a 1:1 rip is much faster, probably an hour or so. 1:1 is really just a copy, not actually compressing anything.

For this first one I took it off the disc with MakeMKV which took about an hour and then Handbrake took 12 hours to rip the 1:1 MKV with H.264 from 68 GB down to 25 GB. H.265 was going to take twice as long.

I'm using Plex which won't read into ISO files so everything is converted to MKV.

If your telling me CloneBD will rip H265 in an hour I'm buying it today :).

Yes a 1:1 rip is much faster, probably an hour or so. 1:1 is really just a copy, not actually compressing anything.

For this first one I took it off the disc with MakeMKV which took about an hour and then Handbrake took 12 hours to rip the 1:1 MKV with H.264 from 68 GB down to 25 GB. H.265 was going to take twice as long.

I'm using Plex which won't read into ISO files so everything is converted to MKV.

If your telling me CloneBD will rip H265 in an hour I'm buying it today :).

If you want good speed on HEVC (x265) encoding, you really need to have a decent graphics card that can be used for hardware acceleration. I have an I7 8700 CPU and a GTX1060 6GB in my PC and using CloneBD, I encode my HEVC MKV's @ 25.0 Mb/s, so most MKV's end up around 25-35GB, depending on movie length and take approx 30-40 minutes to encode.

If you are just using CPU encoding, it will take several hours.

Last edited:
If you want good speed on HEVC (x265) encoding, you really need to have a decent graphics card that can be used for hardware acceleration. I have an I7 8700 CPU and a GTX1060 6GB in my PC and using CloneBD, I encode my HEVC MKV's @ 25.0 Mb/s, so most MKV's end up around 25-35GB, depending on movie length and take approx 30-40 minutes to encode.

If you are just using CPU encoding, it will take several hours.

Sorry it's been several days and I'm just replying to this. I was on vacation.

I have a 3GB GTX1060 (see my link above). Under task manager, Handbrake shows using GPU processing. The combo of my GTX1060 and the i7-3770 doesn't seem to be enough. It is the combo right? Can't imagine the extra 3GB on the video card makes that much of a difference would it?

I have a 3GB GTX1060 (see my link above). Under task manager, Handbrake shows using GPU processing. The combo of my GTX1060 and the i7-3770 doesn't seem to be enough. It is the combo right? Can't imagine the extra 3GB on the video card makes that much of a difference would it?

Handbrake does not decode with the GTX1060 only encode.
Your CPU seems to be the bottleneck in Handbrake. As for H265 decode will go through CPU, your iGPU has no h.265 decoding abilities as far as I remember.
Why not give CloneBD a try? That uses the GTX1060 for de/encode.

I don't use Handbrake. Personally, I think it is a very ordinary program (and I don't think the h/w acceleration works very well). Also, I'm pretty sure there were some other differences (besides the ram) between the 3GB GTX1060 and the 6GB GTX1060 that had to do with h/w acceleration, which was why I chose the 6GB card.

I have used MeGUI for x264 encoding for several years (unfortunately, it doesn't have h/w acceleration! If it ever does, I'll start using it for x265/HEVC aswell) but I always use CloneBD for x265/HEVC encoding. As I mentioned in my last post, using CloneBD, it takes on average 30-40 mins to encode video @ 25.0 Mb/s.

Handbrake does not decode with the GTX1060 only encode.
Your CPU seems to be the bottleneck in Handbrake. As for H265 decode will go through CPU, your iGPU has no h.265 decoding abilities as far as I remember.
Why not give CloneBD a try? That uses the GTX1060 for de/encode.

well that sounds like a good reason to give it another trial run... last time was early days for the software.

I don't use Handbrake. Personally, I think it is a very ordinary program (and I don't think the h/w acceleration works very well). Also, I'm pretty sure there were some other differences (besides the ram) between the 3GB GTX1060 and the 6GB GTX1060 that had to do with h/w acceleration, which was why I chose the 6GB card.

I have used MeGUI for x264 encoding for several years (unfortunately, it doesn't have h/w acceleration! If it ever does, I'll start using it for x265/HEVC aswell) but I always use CloneBD for x265/HEVC encoding. As I mentioned in my last post, using CloneBD, it takes on average 30-40 mins to encode video @ 25.0 Mb/s.

OK, Gave CloneBD a try tonight and it has come a LONG way since the early versions. I'm sold except one thing. Handbrake crops the black bars top/bottom. makes them true black because there is no actual "image" and no wasted space in the video file. Surprised that function isn't there but I may have missed it.

OK, Gave CloneBD a try tonight and it has come a LONG way since the early versions. I'm sold except one thing. Handbrake crops the black bars top/bottom. makes them true black because there is no actual "image" and no wasted space in the video file. Surprised that function isn't there but I may have missed it.

No, unfortunately the cropping function is not there. It would be fantastic if it were ever added!!

Really, my current options are:
1. Use MeGUI (Handbrake for you) to crop the black bars and take several hours to encode.
2. Use CloneBD and keep the black bars and take 30-40 mins to encode.

So for now, I'm happy to keep the black bars in there if it going to save several hours in encoding time!

I think it was @Reto that mentioned that black bars don't take a significant amount of space since they are black and not changing at all, like moving pictures of the movie. But maybe @Reto can explain this better than me.

Back