• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

First success!

Donnchadh

1st Time User-No Success!

Downloaded and installed AnyDVD & CloneDVD trial version. However, when I attempted to first it for the first time, CloneDVD stayed "grey" apparently because the target DVD is CSS encoded. AnyDVD was opened first and showed the DVD in the D drive, but where's the "start" button?

You must remove the CSS first, then use CloneDVD to copy the DVD, but I don't see how you are supposed to proceed???

Downloaded and installed AnyDVD & CloneDVD trial version. However, when I attempted to first it for the first time, CloneDVD stayed "grey" apparently because the target DVD is CSS encoded. AnyDVD was opened first and showed the DVD in the D drive, but where's the "start" button?

You must remove the CSS first, then use CloneDVD to copy the DVD, but I don't see how you are supposed to proceed???

1. Ensure you're using Anydvd 6.1.7.1 beta
click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=7343

2. To learn how to use Clonedvd properly click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476

In the future, if you have problems, please answer these questions (especially 8 and 9) click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=321

1. Ensure you're using Anydvd 6.1.7.1 beta
click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=7343

2. To learn how to use Clonedvd properly click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476

In the future, if you have problems, please answer these questions (especially 8 and 9) click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=321

The AnyDVD version is 6.1.7.0 and CloneDVD version is 2.9.1.2 downloaded yesterday. No error messages appeared.

Here's what the AnyDVD showed:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.0)
PIONEER DVD-RWDVR-111D 1.29 06/08/10PIONEER
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1997776 sectors (3901 MBytes)
Total size: 3960532 sectors (7735 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: WIND_THAT_SHAKES_THE_BARLEY
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed invalid VOBUs!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

After downloading the trial versions of AnyDVD and CloneDVD, I had no luck with them. I think I made every possible mistake, but kept on trying. What the main problem turned out to be was that I didn't know how to find the target DVD file. This instruction explained what to do: (quote)

8 . Select your optical reader/source drive in "dvd video files" (if need be, click the circular arrow buttons to the right of "DVD video files". Choose the appropriate optical reader/drive that contains the original movie disc).

When I inserted a dvd into my computer, AnyDVD would pop up and say wait for it to be read. So far so good. When I clicked on CloneDVD, and selected to copy the entire DVD, the next "filmscript" was empty. I had assumed that it would have been automatically filled with the previously inserted DVD. What I had to do was click on the circular arrow buttons located on the upper right hand side, and manually select the target dvd file. Then it would be displayed on the filmscript. After reading the help files, it was rather straight forward to select how you wanted to proceed. The copied dvd was a perfect copy.

As I examined the choices in AnyDVD, one was to enable CSS files, which I did since I assumed this is what enables a copy to be made. I am assuming that in the trial version you need to do this each time, because a pop-up says that selections are retained only in purchased downloads.

Is there any way that an inserted DVD will automatically be selected in CloneDVD, or do you have to find and select it each time?

I notice that there is an optional click on button to automatically delect the temporary video file after burning a copy, which is the default. Would it be possible to make a second copy of the same dvd if this option is not selected? So you don't have to start from the beginning again?

Thanks for the help. I am glad that there is a free 21 day trial period to figure out how to operate this software, because it does take a bit of experimenting to become proficient in its use.

As I examined the choices in AnyDVD, one was to enable CSS files, which I did since I assumed this is what enables a copy to be made.

The default settings in Anydvd do not need to be touched. Just click the "default" button in Anydvd and click "ok". DO NOT enable the css key archive. If you do--and at any point, Anydvd ever guesses the wrong CSS key, Anydvd will continue to get it wrong every single time you use that same disc, because Anydvd will be retrieving the wrong key from the CSS key archive (which is like a database that stores css keys, if that feature is enabled).

Is there any way that an inserted DVD will automatically be selected in CloneDVD, or do you have to find and select it each time?

You really should only need to type the optical drive letter containing the disc, followed by a colon (and hit enter). Or just click the down arrow (to the right of dvd video files") and (provided you've selected the drive before), select the appropriate drive letter.

Would it be possible to make a second copy of the same dvd if this option is not selected?

That's right.

By the way, unless you're using Windows 2000, I recommend using Anydvd 6.1.7.3. Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=7541

Last edited:
Hi :)
Welcome onboard Donnchadh. :agree::clap:
If doing more than 1 backup, try copying to your HD 1st. Then make as many backups as you like from the HD.
See this for more:

The default settings in Anydvd do not need to be touched. Just click the "default" button in Anydvd and click "ok". DO NOT enable the css key archive. If you do--and at any point, Anydvd ever guesses the wrong CSS key, Anydvd will continue to get it wrong every single time you use that same disc, because Anydvd will be retrieving the wrong key from the CSS key archive (which is like a database that stores css keys, if that feature is enabled).

[I see what you mean now: so I shouldn't have to even have to click it on from the desktop. AnyDVD will automatically find the correct key?]

You really should only need to type the optical drive letter containing the disc, followed by a colon (and hit enter). Or just click the down arrow (to the right of dvd video files") and (provided you've selected the drive before), select the appropriate drive letter.

[I just tried it both ways; typing in the optical drive letter, and clicking on the down arrow. Both worked.]

That's right.

duh. It's easy once you understand! How do you know when to download the latest versions of anyDVD and cloneDVD?

duh. It's easy once you understand! How do you know when to download the latest versions of anyDVD and cloneDVD?

Typically the programs automatically check for a new official update. However, these newer Anydvd versions are beta releases--and not official ones.
Beta releases are generally only found on the Slysoft forums (intended for testing usually)--and not on Slysoft's website until they become official releases. That said, Anydvd 6.1.7.3 beta is pretty stable unless you're using Windows 2000, so I recommend using 6.1.7.3.

[I see what you mean now: so I shouldn't have to even have to click it on from the desktop. AnyDVD will automatically find the correct key?]

When you insert the disc, Anydvd scans it to find the right CSS key. The reason why some people enable the css key archive is to speed things up if they ever use the same original disc again; they don't need to wait for Anydvd to try to get the CSS key by scanning the disc (Anydvd instead of scanning will simply extract the css key from the archive instead). But the thing is if Anydvd got the css key wrong at any point and stored it in the css key archive, Anydvd will continue to get that css key wrong over and over again for that oriignal disc (if the css key archive feature is enabled), because instead of trying to get the css key right again when the disc is inserted, Anydvd will, instead, simply extract the wrong key Anydvd previously stored in the css key archive.

Last edited:
By the way, the only setting I change in Anydvd is to select "jump directly to title menu", under "remove annoying adverts and trailers". However, that feature doesn't work for all discs. An easy way to test if the feature does work properly is to watch the orginal disc on your computer with Anydvd running in the background. If the disc plays as expected, the "jump directly to title menu" feature worked. I almost always retain the original menus (the disadvantage is the menus do use up disc space) because doing so helps to eliminate a lot of playback problems people have with certain discs.

To be completely honest, I use Verbatim +R DL blank media (made in Singapore) and Clonecd to backup my original discs. I use this method: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327 (I am lazy, so this method works well for me).

Typically the programs automatically check for a new official update. However, these newer Anydvd versions are beta releases--and not official ones.
Beta releases are generally only found on the Slysoft forums (intended for testing usually)--and not on Slysoft's website until they become official releases. That said, Anydvd 6.1.7.3 beta is pretty stable unless you're using Windows 2000, so I recommend using 6.1.7.3.

When you insert the disc, Anydvd scans it to find the right CSS key. The reason why some people enable the css key archive is to speed things up if they ever use the same original disc again; they don't need to wait for Anydvd to try to get the CSS key by scanning the disc (Anydvd instead of scanning will simply extract the css key from the archive instead). But the thing is if Anydvd got the css key wrong at any point and stored it in the css key archive, Anydvd will continue to get that css key wrong over and over again for that oriignal disc (if the css key archive feature is enabled), because instead of trying to get the css key right again when the disc is inserted, Anydvd will, instead, simply extract the wrong key Anydvd previously stored in the css key archive.

I just got a pop-up notice that a new version of anyDVD is availble. Assuming that you wanted to download it, should one uninstall the existing version first, then download the new version? Or just download the newest version as a patch?

I just got a pop-up notice that a new version of anyDVD is availble. Assuming that you wanted to download it, should one uninstall the existing version first, then download the new version? Or just download the newest version as a patch?

Just download, and install over your existing version . . .

Back