• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Reclaiming zoom functionality on Blu-ray movies

tyner

When playing DVD movies, I sometimes like to pause and zoom in on part of a scene. But when I found that I could not do so with any of my BD movies, I checked my BD player's manual. It claimed that some studios disable the zoom mode in the authoring of some or all of their BD movies.

If so, then after AnyDVD HD rips a BD movie, can zoom functionality be enabled in the BD copy of it that I would burn to BD-R or BD-RE?

If yes, how is this done?

Is zoom then enabled when using CloneDVD or HandBrake during the authoring/editing process?

BTW, please also suggest BD burning software, or does CloneDVD do that too?

IF the studio used PUOs to block it, it MAY be restored by checking the "Remove prohibited user operations" box in Video Blu-ray settings. (That is not guaranteed.) Otherwise, it probably depends on your ripper and even your player.

CloneDVD does *NOT* rip BDs. AnyDVD HD has a built-in ripper with limited capabilities; it won't do what you want (edit: unless the PUO checkbox does it). SlySoft's full-featured BD ripper, Slyce, is in beta testing with release date TBD; I'm not sure if it will do this.

Look in the Third Party Software and High Definition Software forums for discussion of third-party BD rip tools, including Handbrake, BD Rebuilder, CloneBD, etc.

Finally, have you tried the "zoom" function of your TV? Though that may not be what you're looking for, TV zoom functions are NOT affected by BD player and/or disc settings.

Last edited:
I would have thought engaging SpeedMenu would remove all Java restrictions on playback, allowing zoom by the player (if supported).

Have you tried using SpeedMenu and does it then allow zoom?

I have a feeling zoom is disabled in the player for 3D material.

I use JRiver for playback and it allows you to zoom and pan around the image.

Not being able to zoom is probably only a limitation of the licensed players. JRiver requires something else (AnyDVD) to handle the encryption before it can play back the discs.

I use JRiver for playback and it allows you to zoom and pan around the image.

Not being able to zoom is probably only a limitation of the licensed players. JRiver requires something else (AnyDVD) to handle the encryption before it can play back the discs.
After you had decyrpted the BD movie disc can you also play it in your hardware BD player AND does zoom and slow motion now work? IF not, then maybe it's because the BD Assoc. also required all hardware player makers include some chip that recognizes even decrypted BDs
and then imposes the same restrictions. The back of your BD hardware player will likely say that it's BD-J compliant. But please try using your hardware player's zoom and slo mo features when playing that decrypted BD and let us know the outcome. Thank you.

You come back to this topic after 6 years? There's no zoom on DVD/BD, movies aren't video camcorders.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

??? Many health, housing and other hardships set me back years away from pursuing any of this. But while BD-J drm locks hardware players and most software players out of zoom and slow motion control over BD movies all players have total control over DVDs. We're clear on this of course, yes?

You come back to this topic after 6 years? There's no zoom on DVD/BD, movies aren't video camcorders.

Many health, housing and other hardships set me back years away from pursuing any of this. But while BD-J drm locks hardwareplayers and most software players out ofzoom and slow motion control over BDmovies all players have total control over DVDs. We're clear on this of course, yes?

Just because players have what you claim to be "total control" (which they don't, an example of this is region coding), doesn't mean there's any "zoom" functionality on video. I havent seen such a capability since DVD's first appeared.

Just because players have what you claim to be "total control" (which they don't, an example of this is region coding), doesn't mean there's any "zoom" functionality on video. I havent seen such a capability since DVD's first appeared.
Okay, well except for region coding I hope you're not claiming that most hardware players don't have virtually all of the zoom and slow motion control anyone needs over DVDs. How many hardware players can you name that don't? My JVC DVD and Cambridge BD players from 2004 and 2010 certainly do. I wish that you or Guy G or someone would actually answer my question, please.

Zoom? There is no zoom (zoom in on the video), you sure you're not talking about fast forward or rewind?

You can't zoom in (detailed view of part of the video) on any retail video.

Zoom? There is no zoom (zoom in on the video), you sure you're not talking about fast forward or rewind?

You can't zoom in (detailed view of part of the video) on any retail video. Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
My goodness, you have to be kidding.

Here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/220356/Cambridge-Audio-Azur-650bd.html?page=17#manual

and here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82481/Jvc-Xv-Na70bk.html?page=24#manual

And yes, both of these hardware players also allow a wide range of slow motion speeds (audio muted of course) when playing DVDs, but again not BDs.
I did find that some Windows BD players like Cyberlink, Media Player Classic and others which do allow slow motion on BDs. But none of them allow zoom,
though Media Player Classic, VLC and others say yes IF the BD disc is decrypted. Ah Ha! So that's why Tyner came back here, albeit after 6 years, as you noted.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82481/Jvc-Xv-Na70bk.html?page=24#manual
You said that you don't work for redfox but what's shown below your moniker certainly implies it: "Mod", as in moderator?

Slow motion playback isn't the same as zooming in. Zooming in (like any (phone) camera can do) is different from slow motion playback. Zooming in is like watching part of something in detail or up close.

Any (licensed) player should be able to do slow motion playback, non-licensed players like vlc should be able to do that too.

Sounds to me like you mean one thing but are saying (using words) of something else, is I didn't understand you right.

Now that said

However you finally provided something I can work with. Links.

Going by 2 of them, it seems like some models do indeed 'zoom in' on the picture, in order to remove the black bars. Doing so does get rid of the black bars, but you also eventually (depending on how much you zoom) lose part of the visible video and the aspect ratio gets 'ruined'. Personally, I wouldn't want that.

I know vlc can zoom in on for example single movie files like Avi/mp4... Done it myself, often but I don't believe they function is allowed/blocked by any code on a Blu-ray disc, but rather (not) supported by the hardware/software players during design.

Perhaps @James or @Pete can say something I missed.

And yes I don't work for redfox, just because I'm a moderator doesn't mean I work for them. Work = getting paid, us moderators don't get paid. It's a voluntary position.

If James or Pete will respond you'll see that, different 'tag' under the name.

Last edited:
Of course zoom and slow motion-or fast motion which both the JVC, Cambridge and a zillion other hardware players can do-are two different features! I just didn't bother adding the links from the manuals for the slow/fast motion features as I thought you were fully aware of something so elementary. But though Windows players can
apparently do slow motion with BDs, the BD must be first decrypted for the player to let you have "zoom in"- or "magnification"-control. That's what Guy G seems to be saying.

... But though Windows players can
apparently do slow motion with BDs, the BD must be first decrypted for the player to let you have "zoom in"- or "magnification"-control. That's what Guy G seems to be saying.

Hi tyner.

I don't think that's what GuyG was saying.

He said he can use zoom with JRiver, but be aware that Jriver, or any unlicensed player, requires AnyDVD to be running in order to play a disc.

May be difficult to get an answer to your question because most likely few people use zoom and even fewer understand how it works in terms of authoring.

If it's true that studio's turn off that capability for Blu-Rays when they author them, as your manual states, then probably only a developer could tell you whether AnyDVD can re-enable that functionality.

My guess would have been like RBBrittain's in post #2 -- that setting AnyDVD to "Remove prohibited user operations" for Blu-Ray might restore that ability if it's blocked in authoring.

T

Hi tyner. May be difficult to get an answer to your question because most likely few people use zoom and even fewer understand how it works in terms of authoring.

If it's true that studio's turn off that capability for Blu-Rays when they author them, as your manual states, then probably only a developer could tell you whether AnyDVD can re-enable that functionality.

My guess would have been like RBBrittain's in post #2 -- that setting AnyDVD to "Remove prohibited user operations" for Blu-Ray might restore that ability if it's blocked in authoring. T
Thanks testiles for replying. With luck zoom control capability gets restored automatically upon the user executing AnyDVD HD's routine decryption scheme. We won't know unless someone here would run these two very simple tests:

First decrypt the BD as the AnyDVD HD help file explains-BUT be sure to enable any such option as RBBrittain apparently did called "Remove prohibited user operations".

1.) Then with the decrypted BD still in your computer play it with your Windows BD player. Now trying using that player's zoom in (magnify) control. Can you zoom in as many magX sizes as you can when playing a DVD?

Then set player back to normal view. The try changing the playback speed. Of course, don't be surprised as the player will probably (and sensibly) mute the audio. But can you slow the speed down or speed it up in as many steps as you can when playing a DVD?

If your Windows BD player's zoom in (magnify) and slow motion speed controls worked with playing that decrypted BD which make and version Windows player (s)?

2.) Then place the decrypted BD in your (Panasonic, Sony, Oppo, Cambridge, et al) BD standalone hardware player. Now using that player's remote see if you can actuate the player's zoom in (magnify) control. Can you zoom in as many magX sizes as you can when playing a DVD?

Then set player back to normal view. The use the remote to change the playback speed. Of course, don't be surprised as the player will probably (and sensibly) mute the audio. But can you slow the speed down or speed it up in as many steps as you can when playing a DVD?

If zoom BOTH zoom and slow motion controls worked during BD playback which make and model player (s)?

Of course, it would be great if after a BD is decrypted and loaded into a Cambridge, Sony or other hardware player that both zoom and slow motion controls will work via the wireless remote. But if that test done by a member here fails, then I couldn't rightfully expect RedFox developers to come up with a fix for a hardware player.

At least with Windows BD players the good news is that most of them apparently can do speed (slow & fast) control of BDs, their support staff had told me. Indeed, even with encrypted BDs, Cyberlink said their player can do slow motion control over an 8 step range.

As for zoom (magnify) control, if one or more of the member's Windows BD players zoom controls didn't work on a decrypted BD, then I would hope that the RedFox development team would be agreeable to pursue upgrading AnyDVD HD to reclaim what I certainly think is a MOST valuable BD playback feature, as it always was for me when viewing DVDs.

Certainly, both hardware and Windows player makers wouldn't have included zoom control if I wasn't important to many users, as shown here:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=74659

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=40397

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/51555.page

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/blu-ray-players-with-zoom-in-not-aspect-ratio-zoom-357862/

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1093714-do-blu-ray-players-not-do-zoom.html

https://us.community.sony.com/s/que...vailable-for-4k-bluray-content?language=en_US

https://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/TV-Home-Theater/Blu-Ray-player-quot-zoom-quot-availability/td-p/273448

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questi...question/6fe5bc56-cd5b-3113-a9ff-5fca9ea2970e

Thanks testiles for replying. With luck zoom control capability gets restored automatically upon the user executing AnyDVD HD's routine decryption scheme. We won't know unless someone here would run these two very simple tests:

Just checked and I can tell you that PDVD 17 has the capability to slow down and speed up a movie (I've speed it up a million times in the past -- aka fast forwarding) and even zoom it 100%, 200%, 300%, and 400% (who knew?).

BUT the zoom function is not offered for Blu-Ray. Even with AnyDVD running and User Prohibited Options enabled.

I don't believe I have a Zoom on my UHD player but it doesn't matter because if AnyDVD didn't enable Blu-Ray zoom for PDVD, an unprotected disc created will not have that function enabled either.

T

I don't believe I have a Zoom on my UHD player but it doesn't matter because if AnyDVD didn't enable Blu-Ray zoom for PDVD, an unprotected disc created will not have that function enabled either. T
Yes, Zoom is the sticking point with BDs. But as I plan to make my new desktop pc central to my home theatre, playing a decrypted BD with AnyDVD HD running in the background will apparently give me stepped zoom in control of scenes in real time, plus stepped slow motion via JRiver player, says Guy G. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray

JRiver even seems to make BD ripping quicker and easier via this window. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Action_Window

Media Player Classic Support also claims zoom and slow motion functionality in the same way.

And both players support various BD multi-channel audio formats.

And zoom and slow motion control of decrypted BD movies may even be accessible via a wireless remote, but I'll need to check at the JRiver forum about this.
Otherwise, mouse or keyboard commands are okay with me.

Yes, Zoom is the sticking point with BDs. But as I plan to make my new desktop pc central to my home theatre, playing a decrypted BD with AnyDVD HD running in the background will apparently give me stepped zoom in control of scenes in real time, plus stepped slow motion via JRiver player, says Guy G. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray

JRiver even seems to make BD ripping quicker and easier via this window. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Action_Window

Media Player Classic Support also claims zoom and slow motion functionality in the same way.

And both players support various BD multi-channel audio formats.

And zoom and slow motion control of decrypted BD movies may even be accessible via a wireless remote, but I'll need to check at the JRiver forum about this.
Otherwise, mouse or keyboard commands are okay with me.

You're right about JRiver.

Did a quick check and was surprised to find it will Zoom when playing Blu-Ray.

Even better it's a variable Zoom. Well to be completely accurate it Zooms in steps of 1%.

You can ofc vary play speed too.

So looks like JRiver is your solution!

T

Back