• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneBD Backup with Protection...?

zero269

Does CloneBD backup Blu-rays with protection sometimes...? All the time...?

I'm using a trial version 1.2.4.0 which is the most current at this time.

I'm using the free trial to backup some of my newer Blu-rays to my QNAP NAS (Network Area Storage).
I had a problem with playing some recently and my first assumption was that the backup may be corrupt.
I tried to run the backup (folder) through CloneBD to see if it would throw up any errors before I consider running another backup with the disc.

The message I'm getting when using CloneBD > Open Folder > "Grinch, The (2018)" is the following:

"Cannot use the selected folder.
The BDMV structure in the selected folder is still protected.
CloneBD cannot be used to copy protected Blu-ray discs."

I'm using my licensed AnyDVD HD with a trial version of CloneBD for the original Disc to Folder backup. I use to just use AnyDVD HD to rip to Hard Disk, but I wanted to see if CloneBD could help save some time and storage space by minimizing the backed up content.

When just using AnyDVD HD, I leave "Keep Protection" unchecked. I don't see any options like this in CloneBD.
Not all of these backups show the backup as being Copy Protected.

The following Titles show Copy Protection on the Backup folder according to CloneBD:

• A Dog's Way Home (2019)
  • Aquaman (2018)
  • Grinch, The (2018)
  • Allegiant (2016)
  • Saving Private Ryan (1998)
I should note that when using Handbrake to convert them to MKV, they are not seen as protected...
Is there a glitch with CloneBD?

This doesn't seem too bad considering I've backed up just over 40 Blu-rays in just 2 weeks, and only the above listed are showing Copy Protection on the backup folder.

However, it doesn't seem practical to use AnyDVD HD to perform a COMPLETE backup to guarantee no Copy Protection on the backup folder, just to use CloneBD to slim it down afterwards. And, what's to stop CloneBD from glitching and thinking the backup is too protected...?

Tip for Blu-ray playback without conversion...
I recently discovered that the "Infuse 6" app can direct play my full Blu-ray backups right from the NAS which is nice considering I won't need to convert them to MKV in order to play them in my Plex.

I'm using the free trial to backup some of my newer Blu-rays to my QNAP NAS (Network Area Storage).
I had a problem with playing some recently and my first assumption was that the backup may be corrupt.
I tried to run the backup (folder) through CloneBD to see if it would throw up any errors before I consider running another backup with the disc.

The message I'm getting when using CloneBD > Open Folder > "Grinch, The (2018)" is the following:

I'm using my licensed AnyDVD HD with a trial version of CloneBD for the original Disc to Folder backup. I use to just use AnyDVD HD to rip to Hard Disk, but I wanted to see if CloneBD could help save some time and storage space by minimizing the backed up content.

When just using AnyDVD HD, I leave "Keep Protection" unchecked. I don't see any options like this in CloneBD.
Not all of these backups show the backup as being Copy Protected.

The following Titles show Copy Protection on the Backup folder according to CloneBD:

• A Dog's Way Home (2019)
  • Aquaman (2018)
  • Grinch, The (2018)
  • Allegiant (2016)
  • Saving Private Ryan (1998)
I should note that when using Handbrake to convert them to MKV, they are not seen as protected...
Is there a glitch with CloneBD?

This doesn't seem too bad considering I've backed up just over 40 Blu-rays in just 2 weeks, and only the above listed are showing Copy Protection on the backup folder.

However, it doesn't seem practical to use AnyDVD HD to perform a COMPLETE backup to guarantee no Copy Protection on the backup folder, just to use CloneBD to slim it down afterwards. And, what's to stop CloneBD from glitching and thinking the backup is too protected...?

Tip for Blu-ray playback without conversion...
I recently discovered that the "Infuse 6" app can direct play my full Blu-ray backups right from the NAS which is nice considering I won't need to convert them to MKV in order to play them in my Plex.
I would probably post both an AnyDVD log and a CloneBD log of one of your troublesome discs, just so that Support has a good idea where you're coming from.

Good luck.

:)

Do you have AnyDVD running while using CloneBD? Just checking.

No, never. CloneBD cannot handle protections.

1.2.4.0 is nearly 6 months old.
1.2.5.0 is the current version.

This is a little bit confusing: "Keep protection" only applies to creating ISOs with AnyDVD, but you were talking about folders so far (?)
Just to be sure what you mean...
And yes, CloneBD has no such option, because, as stated, it only deals with unprotected discs.

Now - just so we're on the same page: the normal procedure would be to
  • insert the disc
  • use CloneBD to copy/compress/convert whatever
...while AnyDVD is running in the background. There is no need to do a copy with AnyDVD prior to using CloneBD, AnyDVD decrypts on the fly transparently in the background.

CloneBD identifies protected streams by checking the sync bytes in the m2ts files. That's the only test performed - without these sync bytes, the files are unreadable and useless.
So if CloneBD says it's protected, it's always either protected or broken for some other reason.

No, never. CloneBD cannot handle protections.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your diligent response. It was helpful in better understanding CloneBD in regards that it doesn't backup movies with any level of protection.

I decided to revisit these movies again a little while ago after watching someone on YouTube show how they use it. One thing that caught my attention was the ability to drag the movie into the CloneBD window when it's in the main screen.

I decided to try it, and low and behold it didn't throw up the "BDMV protected" message. So I created an ISO from the BDMV folder backup. When I go back to the Main menu, I clicked "Open ISO Image", browsed to that new ISO and it threw up that "BDMV protected" message, just as it does when I use the "Open Folder" option for the same movie, but in BDMV folder format.

I have to assume one of three things based just on my experience:
CloneBD is acting up; an intermittent bug...
The backup created is corrupt...
Something got backed up that is telling CloneBD the BDMV/ISO is copy protected... even though I know it's not considering I'm able to convert them to MVK using Handbrake at 15 Mbps.

I'm attaching the log file CloneBD created to create an ISO from a BDMV folder backup for the movie A Dog's Way Home (2019). Hopefully RedFox can find something useful there in case it's a software bug.

I'm attaching a screen capture as well for reference...

I just backed up Brave (2012) in BDMV folder format and Up (2009) in ISO format and both backups don't throw up that "BDMV protected" message when I use the "Open ISO Image" or "Open Folder" menu option in CloneBD. I wanted to check them before I assume the backup is good to go.

I'm having playback issues with the movies throwing up that error so I'm going to have to try backing them up again from the source disc. I'll post back with any updates when I can.

Thanks...

"The BDMV structure in the selected folder is still protected"

Attachments

• CloneBD.1.2.4.0.A Dog's Way Home (2019).cbdlog
    97.6 KB · Views: 1
  • BDMV Protected Message.jpg
    BDMV Protected Message.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 12
Do you have AnyDVD running while using CloneBD? Just checking.

Yes, I have AnyDVD HD set to run on startup/login in order to backup directly or now in conjunction with CloneBD when I want to slim the movie down from Complete to Partial.

I would probably post both an AnyDVD log and a CloneBD log of one of your troublesome discs, just so that Support has a good idea where you're coming from.

Good luck.

:)

At first I didn't have one because after I back up my movies, I use a custom batch file to robocopy them to my QNAP NAS. I have it set to purge those log files so they aren't copied with the movies.
I was however able to get one a little while ago. I have a detailed post above/below (?) if you're interested in the update.

Best regards,

Jason

Back