• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Official UHD Support

Jeff R 1

The last thing a read from James was that UHD discs may be supported officially back in January or February of 2019, now 2019 is almost half over.

It can take 2 or 3 weeks for a disc to be decrypted here while MakeMKV is almost over night once a dump file has been submitted.

I don't like MakeMKV, it doesn't allow me to decrypt on the fly, it's a long drawn out process creating a proper ISO where I can simply mount it on a virtual drive.
Converting a disc and sticking it in a MKV container takes too long and I always have problems with the players reading the MKV file format.

I would rather give RedFox my money rather then spending it on yet another program.

I'm afraid the official UHD support won't just be due to the AACS certificate that these decryption tools won't get due to possible piracy

the month of February was thought to be a funny answer for people who are still asking about it UHD disks are generally very technically complicated
INTEL has put a pocket on it due to AACS version 2 working on it

I'm afraid the official UHD support won't just be due to the AACS certificate that these decryption tools won't get due to possible piracy
"due to possible piracy"; since when has that been an issue, if one takes that stance, why bother with regular Blu-ray's, DVD's CD's etc ?
And "very technically complicated", I'm sure it is, but it must be more difficult to wright the program to decrypt discs on the fly then it is to save the files of the disc _ like MakeMKV is doing ?

Even DVDFab has a working program, although I can't say how good it is _ I never liked it either, I always found that there were too many program choices to do pretty much the same thing, it became too complicated.
Even DVDFab said they were not going to support UHD discs, and yet there they are.

RedFox used to be on the cutting edge, now it's become this neutered program when it comes UHD.

Last edited:
AACS 2.x brings a whole bunch of new and fun challenges. First and foremost is that there is no AACS 2.x certificate in the wild. So replicating the process that an official player uses to decrypt is out of the question right out the gate. So how are these "other" programs succeeding? By exploiting firmware holes. These firmware exploits allow contents of the disc (which are encrypted) to be read without the usual handshaking insanity. This is what "LIbreDrive" mode is doing. It's NOT a "bypass" for AACS 2.x. But it does allow for things like the volume ID and the encrypted title keys to be read. What they're doing with that behind the curtains remains a secret only Mike knows. RedFox could duplicate this if they chose to put resources towards it. I'm not sure they want to put the effort into a process that isn't a full break of the AACS 2.x infrastructure. What do I mean by that? Well, ever try to decrypt The Patriot or Fury with MakeMKV, as an example? They will fail. They are using AACS 2.1 which is not cracked, even with the firmware exploits. So yes, this entire situation IS complex and complicated. For now RedFox provides title keys for known discs in the OPD. If they decide to go after UHD fully at some point, it'll take a very large effort.

Thanks for that, at least there is something that one can use, whether that be RedFox or MakeKV.
At one time it was thought that things wouldn't even get this far.

I have a stand-alone player for UHD, but it doesn't do a good as job as MadVR, that's the only reason why I use my HTPC for 4K discs.
When Madshi comes out with his box, then I will have no need for any of this.
I still don't know how Madshi is going to make that work, having it connected through HDMI between the player and display, maybe he'll have to get a license from AACS ?

Yea I only bought into UHD because they've gotten this far with it. Without being able to back them up to my NAS in MKV I'd not have ever bothered. These discs are super fragile so backing them up is imperative.

The Envy is going to be a *VERY* expensive device. We're talking several grand not several hundred. It's being designed to compete with the lumagen. AACS doesn't enter the picture at all (ha, see what I did there?!). It's already decrypted long before it's sent to your display. However, it's re-encrypted with HDCP. So it'll be interesting to see if the Envy bypasses HDCP encryption. Some devices are able to. It will be a very capable device but it's definitely going to be super expensive putting it out of reach for most people.

The last thing a read from James was that UHD discs may be supported officially back in January or February of 2019, now 2019 is almost half over.

It can take 2 or 3 weeks for a disc to be decrypted here while MakeMKV is almost over night once a dump file has been submitted.

I don't like MakeMKV, it doesn't allow me to decrypt on the fly, it's a long drawn out process creating a proper ISO where I can simply mount it on a virtual drive.
Converting a disc and sticking it in a MKV container takes too long and I always have problems with the players reading the MKV file format.

I would rather give RedFox my money rather then spending it on yet another program.

Hi Jeff.

I also thought we would probably have official UHD support by now, but if you evaluate where we are we're in a pretty good place.

Even without official support, AnyDVD decrypts pretty much every single UHD out there that uses AACS 2.0. That's pretty good for just being in beta status.

True there is no support for any UHD with AACS 2.1, but fortunately there are very very few of those right now. So I guess that's a bridge to cross when we get there.

So, disregarding AACS 2.1 for the moment, it appears the only difference of not having official support is all UHD discs are not immediately decryptable when they are released, as they are for DVD and Blu-Ray. On average though it doesn't generally take more than a week or two to get there.

The really good news is that it's only a question of when a UHD can be backed up (for AACS 2.0), not if.

I'm eagerly awaiting an official UHD roll-out, cash-in-hand to buy a UHD license.

But in the meantime, I'm good :).

T

Yea I only bought into UHD because they've gotten this far with it. Without being able to back them up to my NAS in MKV I'd not have ever bothered. These discs are super fragile so backing them up is imperative.

The Envy is going to be a *VERY* expensive device. We're talking several grand not several hundred. It's being designed to compete with the lumagen. AACS doesn't enter the picture at all (ha, see what I did there?!). It's already decrypted long before it's sent to your display. However, it's re-encrypted with HDCP. So it'll be interesting to see if the Envy bypasses HDCP encryption. Some devices are able to. It will be a very capable device but it's definitely going to be super expensive putting it out of reach for most people.
Yes, HDCP is what I was thinking about.
The Lumagen must deal with HDPC, it goes between the standalone player and the projector, or after the AVR to the projector/display.

I would think Madshi would design it with up-gradable parts, eg. the video card.
I could imagine it being like a computer, but with a custom OS and user interface that was somewhat less daunting then the present MadVR _ more plug and play if you wish.
Another great feature would be frame interpolation (I know what you're thinking !), it would be the only machine out there with that feature.
If he made it so the algorithm cold be improved with out having to buy a whole new ENVY.

Manufacturers come out with these dedicated FI chips that can't be improved upon unless the whole motherboard and chips are redesigned _ forcing the consumer to but a new projector.

Yes, the lumagen supports HDCP so I'm sure madshi's Envy will do so, as well. As long as it outputs what it receives in terms of HDCP it would be compliant so no need to violate any licenses in that case.

No one knows how it's going to be designed except madshi. There's a whole speculation thread about it on avsforum. So far not much info has been released but there's been some clues as to how it'll go. Which is why we know it'll be multi-thousands of dollars. There's been speculation as to whether he'll use off the shelf pc components or a special SoC. So far no one knows on that one.

I've a slightly different view. DeUHD then MakeMKV made UHD backups possible and Redfox is leveraging off? or with? MakeMKV. I've purchased all three. I'd much prefer if AnyDVD was also able to processes UHD independently of MakeMKV simply as it widens the availability of solns and gives us more choices if something goes south with the other progs. The more the merrier.

I've a slightly different view. DeUHD then MakeMKV made UHD backups possible and Redfox is leveraging off? or with? MakeMKV. I've purchased all three. I'd much prefer if AnyDVD was also able to processes UHD independently of MakeMKV simply as it widens the availability of solns and gives us more choices if something goes south with the other progs. The more the merrier.
There's that too, I didn't mention, but since you brought it up.
Mike over at MakeMKV doesn't want any of the bin files posted publicly, maybe all of this has something to do with it.

Back