• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Anyone have problem backing up The Mule?

Drowned

I've made two different backups from two different source discs both of which play fine but both backups will not play.I get a message saying cannot play when i try to play them on my pc and blu ray player.Any thoughts would be great as to why this keeps happening.

Yeah the exact error message, image, player... would help for a start.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hello guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having the same trouble with 'The Mule - 2018 Clint Eastwood' R2 DVD. (Log files attached). I created a copy of the main title yesterday to my hard drive before writing it to disc. Then when I inserted it into my Sony BDP S7200 Blu-ray player nothing happened, it was as if all I'd done was eject the tray and close it again. My blu-ray player didn't even recognise I'd inserted a disc. I tried ejecting it a couple more times and eventually the player sounded like it was having trouble reading the disc before it eventually displayed [?-Unknown] on the display.

Interestingly I've just put the copy back into my computer and tried to play it with VLC media player but it wouldn't play it either. If it helps I've also attached an AnyDVD log file of the copied disc, this is shown as 'Info_F_EMPTY_DRIVE.ziplog' it seems as though AnyDVD can't actually see this copied disc

BTW I did read somewhere that if experiencing issues with copies to ensure you're using the latest version of AnyDVD and that you can sometimes download Beta versions but I can't find them, very sorry!

Please also note that I have just tried playing the files in the folder generated on my hard drive for this movie and VLC plays them fine. I guess the problem is somewhere in the writing to disc process which prevents my players from accessing the files.

Not sure if this is needed but I'm also running Windows 11

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.5.8.0_Info_F_THE_MULE.ziplog
    99.1 KB · Views: 5
  • AnyDVD_8.5.8.0_Info_F_EMPTY_DRIVE.ziplog
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
There are too many things I could address as could be your problem here, I'm afraid. However, since VLC seems to play the VIDEO_TS contents on your HDD just fine, the problem doesn't seem to be the decryption done by AnyDVD. The problem appears to be making your final disc. So, that would be either an issue with the media you're burning to, whatever created the DVD you're trying to burn, the burning software, the drive you're burning with, or the DVD player you're trying to play it back in. So, a few other questions:

1.) Did you try playing this DVD that won't play in your Sony BD player on your PC? Did you try playing this DVD on a different DVD player other than the Sony?

2.) Have you always used the same kind of DVD's you're burning to as these you're burning to now?

3.) What software created the final DVD from the decrypted VIDEO_TS you're burning?

4.) What software burned the final DVD you created from #3?

As for where you can find the latest betas, go here:

https://forum.redfox.bz/forums/anydvd-hd-blu-ray-issues.53/

At the top of the main forum, there is (Usually. Sometimes it's not there.) a sticky announcing the latest beta versions. There will be a change log as well as a link to download.

@dbminter

Thanks for your quick response, sorry I didn't elaborate in my first post, I didn't think you would like too much waffle. I've answered your questions in-line below

1.) Did you try playing this DVD that won't play in your Sony BD player on your PC? Did you try playing this DVD on a different DVD player other than the Sony?

• With the exception of my Sony BD Player I have only tried playing it on my PC through the VLC media player but it couldn't play it either. I don't know how to access the VLC log files, would these help? This is what I see when I try to play the disc (see image below).

2.) Have you always used the same kind of DVD's you're burning to as these you're burning to now?

• Yes, I've only ever used Verbatim DVD+R 4.7 GB Printable Discs. Over the years I have successfully backed up 500 + discs with no coasters accept this one.

3.) What software created the final DVD from the decrypted VIDEO_TS you're burning?

• CloneDVD, I wouldn't use anything else, that would be silly! :)

4.) What software burned the final DVD you created from #3?

• Isn't that the same as #3? - CloneDVD
Of interest, after I wrote this post earlier today I double checked the settings within AnyDVD and noticed the Video DVD settings - Default Region had been changed to '1,United States Canada', I'm actually in '2 Europe (UK)' so I've changed it to reflect the correct region. Whether this would cause the above problem I don't know? As yet I've been reluctant to burn another disc until I read your replies. I have however re-copied the main title just in case.

Finally, I mentioned I'm running Windows 11 which I upgraded too from Windows 10 early in December just gone, I think the above changes to the region code might have happened as a result of that unless maybe the latest AnyDVD update changed it, I think that used to happen occasionally.

Thanks again for helping me :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-02 011515.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-02 011515.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 4
The DVD region you set in anydvd isn't very important, it's the one you physically set on the drive through device manager that matters. Unless I'm mistaking, i think @James said that the anydvd DVD region really only comes into okay on RCE (region code enhanced) protected discs and that's primarily in the US. It's been awhile though since i read that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Let's start with the screenshot. That could be because there's no VIDEO_TS folder in the root directory of the DVD with a VIDEO_TS.IFO in the VIDEO_TS folder. It could also mean a corrupt input, which appears to have happened here. You said in one of your answers that VLC does not play the contents correctly, but I'm guessing you mean the DVD? Because I thought you said the VIDEO_TS folder on your HDD did play in VLC.

I've not used CloneDVD beyond a trial some like 15 years ago, so I didn't know it also burned output. Yes, there are things that can burn the output of other converters. For instance, I use ImgBurn, which can create DVD's from existing VIDEO_TS folders like those created by AnyDVD.

It's highly unlikely your region code got reset by anything because that requires user acknowledgement of the change. It's a hardware setting change in your DVD drive. It can't be changed unless you okay the change. That being said, if VLC is not playing back the VIDEO_TS folder on your HDD correctly, then that's probably the answer. Without the proper region code set, depending on the DVD, an incorrect region code could result in decrypted VIDEO_TS content that won't play back properly.

After setting the region code and making SURE you changed the region code WITHOUT AnyDVD running, try decrypting the disc again with AnyDVD and see if you get better results.

Ah, I wasn't aware AnyDVD actually had its own region codes for RCE protected discs. Anyway, I'd make sure your actual hardware region is set to Region 2 and change it to Region 2 if it needs to, making sure AnyDVD is NOT running before you make the change.

Just a thought..., does DHCP have anything to do with this or does AnyDVD handle that?

Screenshot 2022-01-02 015308.png

Let's start with the screenshot. That could be because there's no VIDEO_TS folder in the root directory of the DVD with a VIDEO_TS.IFO in the VIDEO_TS folder. It could also mean a corrupt input, which appears to have happened here. You said in one of your answers that VLC does not play the contents correctly, but I'm guessing you mean the DVD? Because I thought you said the VIDEO_TS folder on your HDD did play in VLC.

I've not used CloneDVD beyond a trial some like 15 years ago, so I didn't know it also burned output. Yes, there are things that can burn the output of other converters. For instance, I use ImgBurn, which can create DVD's from existing VIDEO_TS folders like those created by AnyDVD.

It's highly unlikely your region code got reset by anything because that requires user acknowledgement of the change. It's a hardware setting change in your DVD drive. It can't be changed unless you okay the change. That being said, if VLC is not playing back the VIDEO_TS folder on your HDD correctly, then that's probably the answer. Without the proper region code set, depending on the DVD, an incorrect region code could result in decrypted VIDEO_TS content that won't play back properly.

After setting the region code and making SURE you changed the region code WITHOUT AnyDVD running, try decrypting the disc again with AnyDVD and see if you get better results.

Forgive me for quoting your response, it's just easier for me to answer your questions. The screenshot is a result of me trying to play the DVD, not the Video_TS folder on my hard drive, you're correct, no the DVD doesn't play. You're also correct in saying that I did successfully play the VIDEO_TS folder on my HDD in VLC.

CloneDVD is truly excellent and yes it copies and burns DVD's hence the name CloneDVD, simples :)

Oh dear.., I think you misunderstand me, mind you it is late! As I said the region code was changed in AnyDVD, NOT on the DVD burner itself.

Sorry I missed your last one, yes the hardware is set to Region 2 - I think at this stage I'll attempt another burn. The AnyDVD region code being set wrong before is making me curious.

Screenshot 2022-01-02 020800.png

Okay, the VIDEO_TS folder on your HDD appears to be fine, so it's not AnyDVD that appears to be at fault. It's whatever is being done with the VIDEO_TS that appears to be the problem. So, what are you doing with the VIDEO_TS folder? Feeding that into CloneDVD and letting CloneDVD burn its output to DVD? What are you doing in CloneDVD? Any kind of processing on the VIDEO_TS before burning the DVD?

And whatever DHCP is probably has nothing to do with this. It may have a problem playing back the DVD on your PC, but it would not affect the playback on your Sony BD player.

Yes, when I finally decide to write the files to disc I open CloneDVD and choose the option to 'write existing data'. As 'The Mule' DVD was the last one I backed up to my HDD CloneDVD points me in the direction of those files so it's a simple process of selecting them, naming the output disc i.e. 'The Mule' and then click 'burn', this process takes around 7 minutes at the slowest burn speed. This is how I've always done it so I think we can safely rule out user error :rockingchair:. All processing of the titles are done during the backup process, so for instance one can choose to Clone the entire disc or just copy specific titles before finally deciding to burn the output to the DVD Writer or an ISO/UDF image.

HDCP as I understand it is a protection which prevents DVD/Blu-ray players from playing copied discs and yes it does affect my Sony Blu-ray Player also, I think it's pretty much standard technology on anything in the last 10 years. I seem to recall reading somewhere that AnyDVD removes the various protections during it's scanning process which then prevents HDCP from kicking in when the disc is inserted into one of those devices. Perhaps an expert can chip in hear, I'm a little rusty on the subject. I only mentioned it above because my new NVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti Graphic Card has HDCP enabled.

I guess by now you're as keen to know if the second burn attempt just now worked? YOU BET IT DID!!!!! Fancy that! :D Now it was either the Region Code being set wrong in AnyDVD that generated my last coaster or a bad blank disc but given that I can see the burned imprint on the recording layer which looks completely normal to the naked eye I'm favouring my first assumption.

I''m sorry this took so long but I think we can count this as being CASE SOLVED! :thankyou:

I wasn't aware what DHCP was. Don't think I'd ever heard of it, so I didn't think it would affect a standalone player.

It never occurred to me ask if you tried burning more than copy of this. Would have ruled out a defective blank. But, if there doesn't appear to be anything burned on the first disc you attempted to burn, that would explain why it doesn't play. :) There's nothing on it.

You misunderstood me again, but hey, I'm tired too. I actually said I can see the burned imprint on the recording layer which looks completely normal to the naked eye. I can always tell if a blank disc has been burned because the colour changes slightly and you can see where the burning has stopped close to the middle hole. It's even more prominent on Blu-ray discs.

Here's some light reading which may be of interest: https://www.blackbox.be/en-be/page/...ent Protection,travels from source to display.

Thanks again for your help buddy (y)

The burning actually starts at the "middle hole." Burning starts from the inside and goes towards the outer edge. That's why there's the original coloration towards the outer layer after a burn completes, where the unburned portion of the disc remains. At least, that's the way it is on single layer media.

Yeah, I did misread what you had initially said.

Back